Subject: Few questions after first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Hey all,

Just played the first session yesterday.
Game is awesome, but as everyone know, lots of missing information.
I did look at the forum before posting it, but I still want to make sure:
1. When the Overlord activating non colored monster, do all of that type of monster activate? (for example, first scenario, Hyenas).
2. Can heroes/overlord block spells? are spells effected by guard rolls?
3. When activating an overlord monster, can all of that type/color of monsters can move and attack, I saw someone asking this already but there was no clear answer (i know that if you attack, all the rest of the monsters cannot move anymore, but can i still move and attack with all of them?).
4. Is there a reason to keep the French tiles/equipment? (maybe some scenarios require extra tiles) or can I store them away?

Thats it for now.
Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:
1. When the Overlord activating non colored monster, do all of that type of monster activate? (for example, first scenario, Hyenas).

All minis in the same tile group activate.

Mogron272 wrote:

Heroes' Book, page 7, section Guard defines what can and cannot be guarded against.

Mogron272 wrote:
3. When activating an overlord monster, can all of that type/color of monsters can move and attack, I saw someone asking this already but there was no clear answer (i know that if you attack, all the rest of the monsters cannot move anymore, but can i still move and attack with all of them?).

Short answer is that you "should" move them all and then attack with all. The real answer is much longer and detailed in many threads, e.g. #1669501.

Mogron272 wrote:
4. Is there a reason to keep the French tiles/equipment? (maybe some scenarios require extra tiles) or can I store them away?

You can safely store them - you don't need them. Don't throw them away - one poster did because he incorrectly thought that ALL tiles were duplicated and he ended up throwing away a good portion of his English tiles. Only tiles which have different names in both EN and FR are duplicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Another question.
I noticed that the dice have different symbols on them (triangle, square, circle), does it have any meaning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:
I noticed that the dice have different symbols on them (triangle, square, circle), does it have any meaning?

Thread 1661038.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nimrod Breger
Germany
Dusseldorf
flag msg tools
Cheers! More incoming

1. Are all items consider to be equipped for a hero? so technically he can have 3 weapons equipped? of course when he perform an attack he can choose to use only a single weapon (I guess). Anyway, are all items consider to be equipped?
2. If you want to use a different hero in a scenario, do you choose a different one and give him the same items as suggested for the hero you replaced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The symbols are for colorblind people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mogron272 wrote:
Cheers! More incoming

1. Are all items consider to be equipped for a hero? so technically he can have 3 weapons equipped? of course when he perform an attack he can choose to use only a single weapon (I guess). Anyway, are all items consider to be equipped?

Everything is "always equipped", and which instance of (e.g.) a weapon or armor actually gets used is the character's choice. In theory he can carry 3 suits of armor and choose which one he wants to defend with each time he's hit.

Mogron272 wrote:
2. If you want to use a different hero in a scenario, do you choose a different one and give him the same items as suggested for the hero you replaced?

There is no official answer to that, and no unofficial suggestions which work in all cases (as even subtle changes tend to "rebalance" scenarios). There are, however, several very long threads on it, e.g. thread 1652296.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Everything is "always equipped", and which instance of (e.g.) a weapon or armor actually gets used is the character's choice. In theory he can carry 3 suits of armor and choose which one he wants to defend with each time he's hit.

But he probably couldn't walk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

True, but he couldn't be hit, either .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephan, Monolith should send you a KS 'Kings level' Conan copy
for all the game support your doing for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

i wouldn't say no to that . i've already got an all-in pledge, though, so a second copy would only be taking up space.

i am in the dubious position of being on medical leave right now, which gives me an inordinate amount of time for things like this forum. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas H
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

Mogron272 wrote:

Heroes' Book, page 7, section Guard defines what can and cannot be guarded against.

How do you handle the defense of the overlords units against spells, ranged, area damage (since the mentioned paragraph explicitly talks about heroes, i interpreted it exactly like that. Heroes are in need of a shield to be able to use the guard action and the overlord can use it against every type of attack as he sees fit)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
kskato wrote:

i wouldn't say no to that . i've already got an all-in pledge, though, so a second copy would only be taking up space.

i am in the dubious position of being on medical leave right now, which gives me an inordinate amount of time for things like this forum. :/

second copy would only be taking up space.
Or a big pile of Euros from eBay sale

A German to translate French to English...
what a world
thanks again for the help.

I read FFG ' reviewed ' these rules.
Monolith should demand their money back
[ or listened to what FFG told them ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:

Naw - i'd keep it. It'd take up space. i'm funny like that. i have two copies of KS Ogre Designer's Edition, plus one retail, and one of the KS copies is still shrinkwrapped. (So is one of my 3 Ogre Deluxe Edition (1987) copies.)

kskato wrote:
A German to translate French to English...

Don't tell anyone, but i'm not German, just a long-time resident in Germany. i can read German "effectively fluently", but i am by no means a native-level speaker. Not enough to undertake a translation effort on that scale, in any case.

kskato wrote:
I read FFG ' reviewed ' these rules.
Monolith should demand their money back
[ or listened to what FFG told them ]

Using the manuals for FFG's Eldritch Horror and the new Arkaham Horror LCG as a basis for comparison, IMO several of the rules sections in Conan just "reek of FFG", in that they aim for a level of pedantic precision which appeals to programmers and (possibly) technical writers, but which many people seem to just find awkward and/or confusing. The definition of how "free" movement points are gained is an example which comes to mind:

Quote:
Once per Action phase, a hero can gain a number of movement points equal to their movement value if the hero has not yet performed a Move during that phase. When a hero performs an action other than a Move each turn, the hero loses all of their movement points.

i find that to be a refreshingly pedantic and unambiguous wording, but it's caused a lot of confusion/discussion in the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
One big question--it says simple manipulations like picking up/dropping costs no gems... does it cost a gem to pick up the Princess in the first scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
One big question--it says simple manipulations like picking up/dropping costs no gems... does it cost a gem to pick up the Princess in the first scenario?

Picking up costs a gem (Heroes' Book, page 9), but any number of items can be dropped for free (per the the French edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hillean wrote:

Picking up costs a gem (Heroes' Book, page 9), but any number of items can be dropped for free (per the the French edition).

Whew, ok good. We played for the first time last night and the Heroes were 1 gem short from escaping with the Princess--I was making sure I didn't screw them out of a win by charging 1 gem to pick her up (which I was correct).

Turns out through reading more on rules, they got further than they should have--I was only charging them 1 gem for Wall Breaker instead of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
Turns out through reading more on rules, they got further than they should have--I was only charging them 1 gem for Wall Breaker instead of 2.

Actually... it's 3 :/. The English edition has a misprint compared to the French:

"2 movement" should be "2 additional movement"

which is 3 movement for most cases (could be more if the target space requires more than 1 movement to move into).

The English edition of Wall Wrecker ALSO leaves out the word "wooden" before "wall" - it cannot be used on stone walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Hillean wrote:

Actually... it's 3 :/. The English edition has a misprint compared to the French:

which is 3 movement for most cases (could be more if the target space requires more than 1 movement to move into).

The English edition of Wall Wrecker ALSO leaves out the word "wooden" before "wall" - it cannot be used on stone walls.

Wow, so 1 to actually make the move and 2 to smash the wall (totalling 3)? This will be used a TON less. I could see 1 to move and 1 to use wall wrecker, but 2 really adds up when they have a low movement limit as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Hillean wrote:

Wow, so 1 to actually make the move and 2 to smash the wall (totalling 3)? This will be used a TON less. I could see 1 to move and 1 to use wall wrecker, but 2 really adds up when they have a low movement limit as it is.

Right: 2 points for the Wall Wrecker itself, plus the cost of moving into the target space (normally 1 point).

This was one of those "completely inexplicable" little mistranslations in the English edition where individual words simply went missing. The fact that Wall Wrecker (English) has a second, unrelated translation error makes it a double-facepalm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VixenTorGames wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

Well, if it's Conan himself we're talking about, he could definitely still walk and probably even run. Although as far as the game is concerned he couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
kskato wrote:

Naw - i'd keep it. It'd take up space. i'm funny like that. i have two copies of KS Ogre Designer's Edition, plus one retail, and one of the KS copies is still shrinkwrapped. (So is one of my 3 Ogre Deluxe Edition (1987) copies.)

Wow...just Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
... the Heroes were 1 gem short from escaping with the Princess...

That sounds like my game last weekend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong, however, but Scenario one, all of the non-stone huts can be entered from any side by using 2 gems - 1 for movement and 1 for 'lifting the side of the hut' Wall breaker isn't required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, however, but Scenario one, all of the non-stone huts can be entered from any side by using 2 gems - 1 for movement and 1 for 'lifting the side of the hut' Wall breaker isn't required.

There's no mention of that in the scenario text. Perhaps you caught wind of someone's house rule or maybe an early beta version of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.