Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

Quote:
Backstab: Fight. This attack uses {AGILITY} instead of {COMBAT}.

Does this this swapping of attributes apply only to the attacker, or to both the attacker and defender?

e.g. i'm attacking a creature with 1 COMBAT and 3 AGILITY, and i play Backstab.

Do i make the skill test against:

a) my AGILITY vs its COMBAT?

or

b) my AGILITY vs its AGILITY?

i am currently assuming the former, but the latter seems like a valid (possibly better) interpretation.

:-?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Enemies don't have Combat or Agility.

They have Fight and Evade.

Normally you test your Combat against an enemy's Fight, and your Agility against an enemy's Evade.

Backstab allows you to test your Agility in place of your Combat against an opponent's Fight.

The last page of Learn to Play Guide shows that the [fist] icon refers to an investigator's Combat value, and the [shoe] icon refers to an investigator's Agility value.

The [fist] and [shoe] icons on enemy cards are simply reminders that the Fight value is the difficulty for a Combat test *usually*, and the Evade value is the difficulty for an Agility test *usually*.

Confirmed by Matt Newman, the co-lead designer.

This is a case of when something meant as a player aid actually ends up complicating things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also remember that when using Backstab, you use your Agility vs an enemy's Fight value instead of your Combat, so you can't commit Combat icons to the test; you have to commit Agility icons to the test (if committing).

Likewise, assets that boost your Combat do not boost your Agility test in a Backstab fight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasyndrome wrote:
Also remember that when using Backstab, you use your Agility vs an enemy's Fight value instead of your Combat, so you can't commit Combat icons to the test; you have to commit Agility icons to the test (if committing).

Likewise, assets that boost your Combat do not boost your Agility test in a Backstab fight

Very well said. However, to make things just a little confusing, anything that if a card gives you a bonus when you attack, such as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lita Chantler,
it would apply to Backstab's damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.