$15.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Space Hulk (fourth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: lurking question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
aris da
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any strategic reason for the genestealers to lurk instead of entering the board? After reading the rules it seems that lurking is used from the genestealers when they cant enter the board for example if the entry point is in a terminators line of sight
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I remember there is no limit to the number of GS lurking at an entry point. You could amass a force of for example 5 bloods at entry point 1 and a 2nd force 4 blips strong at entry point 2 before rushing the marine player.

You could therefore consider this strategy when starting with a number of GS on the map, thus slowing the marine player before obliterating him.

Maybe other players can suggest different examples?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a limit of up to 3 blips that can lurk at an entry point.

For the Marine Player, forcing Blips to Lurk is a valuable tool. For the Genestealer Player, lurking is probably more of a situational rule, rather than a strategy. There so that the Genestealer Player does not have to keep feeding Genestealers into an Overwatch meat grinder. Or, maybe to build up a wave of 'Stealers. If there are more uses, I'd love to hear them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
There is a limit of up to 3 blips that can lurk at an entry point.

For the Marine Player, forcing Blips to Lurk is a valuable tool. For the Genestealer Player, lurking is probably more of a situational rule, rather than a strategy. There so that the Genestealer Player does not have to keep feeding Genestealers into an Overwatch meat grinder. Or, maybe to build up a wave of 'Stealers. If there are more uses, I'd love to hear them.


Mark is right. The number of blips that can lurk at any entry point is limited to 3. My bad.

However, the 1st edition manual states: "A maximum of three Stealer models may lurk at any one-entry area, in addition to the three Blips".

So in reality you could accumulate up to 12 stealers at any given entry point, providing you have have enough blips worth 3 Genestealers in your pile/hand.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth edition rules don't say anything about genestealers lurking in addition to blips. Fourth would allow 3 blips to Lurk (up to 9 Genestealers), plus the current turn's blips (typically, one or two). So, maybe as many as 15 genestealers (counting those as blips) could enter the board all at once.

Second edition has those big "6," "5," "4" blips. So, YIKES!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Wątorski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Fourth edition rules don't say anything about genestealers lurking in addition to blips. Fourth would allow 3 blips to Lurk (up to 9 Genestealers), plus the current turn's blips (typically, one or two). So, maybe as many as 15 genestealers (counting those as blips) could enter the board all at once.

Second edition has those big "6," "5," "4" blips. So, YIKES!

Are you sure? I just checked my 4th edition copy:
Rulebook, p.16, Lurking (emphasis mine) wrote:
Blips do not have to immediately enter play. They can
instead lurk at an entry area, usually to wait for more
numbers to arrive. Simply leave the blip off the board
next to the entry area. Up to three blips, plus up to three
revealed Genestealers, can lurk at each entry area.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have 3rd Edition rules available right now. It does not have that (bold printed) addition to the rule. Interesting. Nice catch!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
I only have 3rd Edition rules available right now. It does not have that (bold printed) addition to the rule. Interesting. Nice catch!


I'm working on a space hulk rules encyclopedia but I didn't work in the 4th edition rules either. So yes indeed, nice catch there Rafal.

The Genestealer expansion also came with additional blips, 10 representing Genestealer Hybrids and 6 representing larger numbers of Purestrain Stealers, two each of 4, 5 and 6 Purestrains. The ten Hybrid Blips are lettered A to J and represent different models in different missions.

If I find the time, I would love to make a set like these for my 3rd/4h Edition games. If I find the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh... Lieven, does this mean we are getting a new Bible but with the misprints from the original game removed?

I would also like to take this opportunity to share... Yes (Mark knows) every thread it has to be done!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG...

Lurking is in there and we have a new super improved weapons table.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"super" does not do it justice.kiss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Ahh... Lieven, does this mean we are getting a new Bible but with the misprints from the original game removed?

I would also like to take this opportunity to share... Yes (Mark knows) every thread it has to be done!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOua1NGUXo5c0hwWG...

Lurking is in there and we have a new super improved weapons table.


Well yeah ... kinda

blush

It fades however in comparison to the clarity and simplicity of your cheat sheet.

wow
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Duncan
msg tools
Lurking Genestealers:

1st Edition = 3 Blips + 3 Stealers.
2nd Edition = 3 Blips + 0 Stealers.
3rd Edition = 3 Blips + ? Stealers.
4th Edition = 3 Blips + 3 Stealers.

I presume 0 stealers can lurk in 3rd Edition as the rules don't actually mention lurking stealers. The other editions all say definitely one way or the other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.