Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I want to make 1 change in the Space Combat CRT since I posted it in files a while back. You might want to walk back the PDM from 4 to 3.

Change the Beam table at 3 Beam vs 2 Shield into a 3 (from a 4), This makes the Terran DD's 3 Beams also better than the Terran SC's & Ftr's 2 Beams against DD & Ftr with their Shield strength of 2. As well as the Imp. CL with Shield =3.

I do this because the Terran DD got the short end of the stick and the small Terran ships need a boost. This is my main help for them. [I see the nerfing of the 1s as being about equal for both sides and that the difference between 1 and 2 is percentagewise more than the change from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4.]

The DD's "large" Beam strength is only better than a 2 beam against the Imp. CL, which it will hardly ever get a shot at. So, in addition to weakening the 1 strength weapons, strengthening the 7 Beam vs 9 Shield*, and making most of the Hit# of 7 into 8 or '--', I want to help the Terran DD.

. * . Notes: I actually changed the 8 Beam (but there is no ship with an 8 beam) into a 6 and so that the 7 Beam could remain a Hit# of 7. But, this "change" did "help" the Imp. CA and BB some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
If you don't like this you might like this alternate thought.

Instead of changing the 3 Beam vs 2 Shield, change the 3 Beam vs the 5 Shield to a 5 from a 6. This makes the Terran DD good against the Imp. CR and CA, but not better against the Imp. Ftr and DD.

It seems like a toss up. If we want to make the Terran better against something then, should it be small ships or Large Cruisers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
My final decision is to make the 3 Beam vs 1 Shield be 2 [instead of 3].

This effects the DD vs SC, also to a lesser extent TR, MS, and AO.

This does make the 6 Beam equal a 3 Beam vs a 1 Shield, which is bad.
. . However, some such thing is bound to happen.
. . I think that it is best to make it vs a 1 and not a stronger Shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry for not responding to this earlier. My instinct is make the Terran DD better against the Imp DD. I suspect this will work--see what happens in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
elbmc1969 wrote:
Sorry for not responding to this earlier. My instinct is make the Terran DD better against the Imp DD. I suspect this will work--see what happens in the game

I did try that. The problem is both the DD and the Ftr have a shield of 2. So, it has to be both or neither. I feel that both was too much of a help for the Terran DD. So, I changed it to the SC and TR etc.

Part of the reason that I found this to be true is that in my variant players are not going to be buying a lot of SC because they are cheap, powerful, and useful. This is because the CRT was changed to make the Imp. SC less powerful and therefore useful; and because players will be buying a lot more of the larger ships (which makes the Imp. DD a better buy than a SC); and therefore making the Terran DD really good vs the Imp. DD & Ftr helped them more than making the DD really good against the SC.
. . This change makes the Terran [perhaps] his best ship to fight Imp. SC (for the money). But, the Imp. player should not buy a lot of SC anyway because they are useless against an undamaged Terran CR. He might buy more DD instead.

If I decide that even this is too much after 6 mo., I might just leave it at the CL and the Imp. M. [With my newest CRT the Terran SC & Ftr can't suicide attack an undamaged M, but the DD can. This is at least something better than a SC or Ftr.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.