Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A buyer ordered an item. 3 days and 3 messages later there was no payment or word from him, so I did what I usually do in these situations, which happen too often : - (, I cancelled the order and gave him negative feedback with a short description about why.

A few days later he contacts me and tells me sorry, he had to rush off for a funeral.

These things happen, and I want to believe him.

Now the question is, can I change the feedback? Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 Days! Really.

Try an Admin as there is presently no way to alter feedback on your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't change feedback, but if you do another transaction, you can leave feedback and explain that the feedback below was wrong, and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
3 Days! Really.

I am honestly not sure what you are trying to say here. Do you think 3 days (and 3 messages) is too little?

I would not myself place an order and then not pay or write or nothing for 3 days. That is very far from my way of thinking. If there was a problem I would ask the seller to please wait.
And my messages are always something like "There is no rush, but if it takes more than a few days, please let me know, thanks.".

But again, I have noticed over the years that some people do not think like me (hint: Everyone else thinks differently than me on just about every subject : - )).

So I want to know if you think 3 days is not enough? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
You can't change feedback, but if you do another transaction, you can leave feedback and explain that the feedback below was wrong, and why.

Excellent idea, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Since you asked, I for one do not think 3 days is long enough to wait before cancelling and leaving negative feedback. A week with no payment or contact? I could see that ruffling a seller's feathers.

3 days is hardly anything. If the auction ended sometime Friday while the buyer was at work, and the buyer went on a short weekend trip right after work, the 3 days would be up before the end of the work day Monday. That's too short short, I think.

Just my opinion, and only because you asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, this was not an auction. That is the buyer decides the time to buy, and can choose not to buy when he knows he will not be available for several days.

But again, thanks for the feedback. I think I will change my default message to show that I expect payment or a message within 3 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Just to be clear, this was not an auction. That is the buyer decides the time to buy, and can choose not to buy when he knows he will not be available for several days.

But again, thanks for the feedback. I think I will change my default message to show that I expect payment or a message within 3 days.
Whoops, sorry, I did not read the OP closely enough. I thought it was an auction. Now I find myself more in agreement with you: if you decide to buy that day, then pay, why dontcha? I do think a note saying what you expect, is a very good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,

I appreciate your comments and reasoning, but I certainly feel that 3 days is far too short a time to expect everyone to respond and/or act. In this instance we have had the reference to a funeral, but it could equally have been family illness, computer crash, sudden business trip, need to transfer money into Paypal account etc. I think we all sometimes forget that everyone has a life outside the Geek and other peoples priorities may not be the same as ours. As polite as your messages may have been, I would have wondered why I had received 3 messages in 3 days and I might well have questioned the unexpected urgency from the seller.

Should everyone be stuck in front of a computer 24 hours a day? Of course not. Any short delay in responding should be recognised and accepted - even if we are raring to get a game wrapped and mailed the very same day of the sale. I have sold many games here and would not chase for at least a week. I always believe that chasing too quickly is rude and maybe unwelcome if the buyer is dealing with domestic matters. I do visit BGG most days, but I have had periods of absence when I literally could not get access to either the site, a computer or the internet. It's just a fact of life.

This is my personal opinion and no-one is right or wrong on this point, it is simply a matter of preference. However, I do think a negative rating is rather too strong. If I had received a negative in this manner I would be furious and kicking up every fuss with admins etc. Put yourself in the other guy's shoes. You offer to buy a game, a serious personal matter intervenes, you come back 4 days later and you have a full in-box, a cancelled purchase and negative feedback. You would need that like a hole in the head.

You are certainly correct in stressing the importance of communication, but again, there may be reasons why a simple note proves impossible to run off. You are fully entitled to ask for your own deadlines etc., but sometimes a little patience may be the way to go.

Chris.

Michael_Olsen wrote:
Ahiksking wrote:
3 Days! Really.

I am honestly not sure what you are trying to say here. Do you think 3 days (and 3 messages) is too little?

I would not myself place an order and then not pay or write or nothing for 3 days. That is very far from my way of thinking. If there was a problem I would ask the seller to please wait.
And my messages are always something like "There is no rush, but if it takes more than a few days, please let me know, thanks.".

But again, I have noticed over the years that some people do not think like me (hint: Everyone else thinks differently than me on just about every subject : - )).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other point just occurred to me. The buyer may know that he is not going to be able to pay immediately for whatever reason, but rather than wait until he can pay before ordering and risk losing the item in question, he may jump in and make the order with the intention of paying some days later.

I am not suggesting that this happened here, but it could always be a possibility. Would a seller rather have a sale and a slightly delayed payment or no sale at all? I know which I would rather have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
One other point just occurred to me. The buyer may know that he is not going to be able to pay immediately for whatever reason, but rather than wait until he can pay before ordering and risk losing the item in question, he may jump in and make the order with the intention of paying some days later.

I am not suggesting that this happened here, but it could always be a possibility. Would a seller rather have a sale and a slightly delayed payment or no sale at all? I know which I would rather have.

Thanks for all your excellent points. Again, I am merely looking for feedback and opinions, and I greatly value the input.

I do see how 3 days can be thought of as too little. I think my new policy will be to say 3 days in the listing, but actually give people 5 days (at least until the feedback). I honestly think that should be plenty, except for the rare emergency (like what happened here).

I would like to note one thing though: I looked at my previous orders and from what I can gather/remember only 1 person took 2 days to reply, everyone else replied/paid within 30 hours or so *except* for those that never messaged me (or never paid for that matter).

Thanks again for the input. This thread has made me rethink my policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many negative feedbacks does this earn you in response?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Kenny Dorham || Trompeta Toccata || Whistle Stop || Una Mas
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
The buyer may know that he is not going to be able to pay immediately for whatever reason, but rather than wait until he can pay before ordering and risk losing the item in question, he may jump in and make the order with the intention of paying some days later.

I'm afraid I can't go along with that. If you know there will be a delay in payment but have time to conduct the transaction, you have time to inform the buyer. It should be both or neither.

That said, leaving bad feedback is serious business and shouldn't be done in haste. So many things can happen; I think it may be worthwhile to provide an example from my own experience.

I once purchased a game on ebay from someone who died immediately afterwards. I was able to verify that he'd cashed the postal money order I'd sent, and as time passed and I received nothing I began sending messages to ask what was happening.

Eventually I made contact with the seller's fiancee, who in the course of closing his accounts and settling his affairs discovered the messages I'd sent. You can imagine how grateful I was that I hadn't said anything I would have come to regret in those messages.

She was a kind and lovely person in a very sad situation. She and I both talked on the phone and exchanged letters; I keep the beautiful letter she sent me in the gamebox as a memento. The games themselves are small things in the end; it's the people for whom they provide the connections that matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
How many negative feedbacks does this earn you in response?

Since you ask: So far, none. I think because this is the first time I have actually made a mistake in doing it in the sense that the pervious "buyers" actually did not intend to pay or message me.

It should be noted that postage is very expensive in my country (Denmark). So it happens that people purchase a euro 10 game, say, just to find that the postage is euro 14 (or in some cases much more).
Unfortunately listing postage for every country and every game is much too time consuming. Instead I encourage potential buyers to ask for postage, and I am always more than happy to provide them with a quote.

I have one negative feedback, and that was for a purchase. The game was listed as "Very Good" (or was it "Good", it has been a while), and an item was missing plus the state not not really good. Clearly this should have been marked Acceptable. When I asked the seller for some kind of solution he got mad at me and gave me negative feedback (even claiming in the feedback he had offered me a reduction, which he did not).
So I know how annoying negative feedback can be. Have I been giving negative feedback too lightly? Probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.