Popular Tags: [View All]
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game for the first time. A few very basic questions arose. Would appreciate your help! =)

1. Is it possible to take a pass main action + side action?

2. A player has maximun units on the battlefield. That player wants to play one more. Is it possible to replace one of these creatures with the new one?
Next: is it possible to add a Puppet to the player who has maximum units on their battlefield?

3. Is it possible to make a side action during a main action?

4. What Phoenixborn make good pairs for playing with two players? We took Jessa Na Ni and Maeoni Viper (base decks). Probably we were not playing right... it seemed to us that Jessa has NO chances against Viper at all.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, as long as you do the Side Action first.

2. No and no.

3. No.

4. Jessa romps everyone, once you know how to play her. Try Aradel and Maeoni.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) yes
2) no, battlefield is a hard limit, but you can still activate the ability of the "summon" to get the other effects beside the unit summoning (like if you want to deal a damage with Summon Gilder or focus effects of various cards)
3) No, you can do a side action before the main action, but you cannot interrupt. So you cannot meditate halfway during an attack.
4) A nice matchup to start with, in my opinion, is Aradel vs Maeoni, those are the most straight forward decks in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Guys, can you give a hint please how to play with Jessa properly? I'm not a novice for such kind of games. Still I can't get a clue how to use her in the right way... I miss something very important =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Pertici
Italy
Certaldo
Firenze
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Against Maeoni the trick is to use Fear on the snake at the right time (watch out for Golden Veil), clog her battlefield with Blood Puppets (and that's super easy since she has BF 3) and if she pays to remove it you had a positive dice trade (2 vs 1 + 1 damage for Jessa's ability) concentrate your Leech Warrior dice exhaustion effect on her Charm Die to giving her a hard time activating Hypnotize (needs 2 class charm dice). Maeoni spells are pretty epensive and her strategy is slow so keep that in mind, you don't need to rush on the first few turns. Put a Fear in your First Five and for round 1 you're good (again, be sure he cannot play Golden Veil that costs 1 class nature and 1 class charm)
EDIT: oh I forgot the most effective card against Silver Snakes: Redirect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having an eye on what cards Viper can play at a given moment should help. Certainly this wasn't possible for the first game =) Yet I don't get how Hypnotize can be stopped, besides redirect. Viper has a card to change dice faces, and has Meditation.

Avoiding Veil with Fear is more obvious, the Maeoni player just has to memorize the Veil cost. Yet it's better to play Fear against a "fat" snake, however at this moment the opposing player should have dice to play Veil at hand, so Fear may become useless.

We forgot to choose 5 cards at the beginning =). That should help Maeoni too. Viper gets her cards anyway, while Maeoni fails if Puppets don't invade starting from the very beginning.

Next, HOW Maeoni kills her opponent? (These are not Puppets + her ability, I guess =)
Sending units into fight kills her own Puppets, kills the Guards (possibly helping snakes), hardly kills Snakes (with additional efforts => loosing mana). Snakes and Mice Guards will be replenished, and Maeoni's units won't. Besides this, if units don't save Maeoni from regular attacks, the game will end with two Molten Gold in Maeoni + one successful Hypnotize attack, empowered with everything Viper has.

I don't get something very important =) It should be. I just don't see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
(Assuming you meant Jessa in your last question above)

Jessa wins via direct damage rather than combat damage. Don't overlook her Screams of the Departed ability. It doesn't exhaust, so you can spend a basic every time an opponent's unit is removed from play -- including Blood Puppets you may have dropped into their field. So, they can spend two dice to remove the Puppet and take a damage from Screams or leave it and take a damage at the end of the round.

Living Dolls in the base deck can be really powerful -- if they're pumped up with Undying Hearts, you can potentially copy 5 or 7 damage back to the opponent's PB (or unit). And remember, they get to deal damage up to their total life value NOT their remaining health -- so even a living doll with only 1 health left can take on a 7 attack snake and send 3, 5, or 7 damage back.

Jessa is my son's favorite preconstructed deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke deWaal
Canada
flag msg tools
Some answers to Hypnotize out of various decks- Choke (Brennen) cancels the bypass ability from Hypno, Reflections in the Water (Aradel) makes it impossible to give the snake the Hypno ability, Seal (Saria) can just plug up Hypno until next round, Noah's Phoenixborn ability does the same as Seal.

You can also deal with snakes by exhausting them (Steady Gaze, Blue Jaguar, Change Psyche, Transfer, Blood Chains).

Or you can try and drain their dice pool to make it too challenging to afford the mana cost from Hypnotize. Leech Warriors help. So does the Illusion dice power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Campolucci
Italy
Piossasco
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for this very basic question bu i'm at very first couple of games.
The person who made me a demonstration of the game told me that you cannot do a side action if you do not take a main action before.
Is this correct ?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Davydov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for advices and clarifications! I'll try all this in the game. It seems that now I got the idea... or at least I hope so =)

Massimo, the first paragraph about actions in the rules tells that you can take your main action and your side action in any order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Campolucci
Italy
Piossasco
Torino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Denis for your prompt reply
ciao

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.