Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were playing Valley of the Kings last night (but what game we played is irrelevant -- keep reading). I set up the pyramid and then placed the stock deck face down at the top of the pyramid, but oriented in a direction opposite that of the cards in the pyramid -- basically upside down.

She said, "Oh, you're doing that again."

I said, "Yeah, that makes it easier to flip the next card. I grab it like this," I show her, "and I don't have to rotate the card after I flip it face up. I keep my draw pile upside down, too. I grab the card with my thumb and finger and, bam, it's right side up."

She said, "So is that a thing? Do all the other gamers do it that way?"

I said, "I have no idea. I suppose I can ask on the 'Geek."

It turns out that I do this with every card game I play. I always orient my draw deck with the card tops nearest to me and the card bottoms away from me. It makes it a lot quicker to draw a card from the stack.

Does anyone else do that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't. That makes some sense in a game where you're moving the card vertically, but in many games you're moving a card to the left or right, so you're flipping it horizontally, but preserving the "upside-ness" of the card. If it was upside down you'd have to move it horizontally but also change it upside down too.

TLDR; You're probably just weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I turn cards horizontally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't.

i can see how it would seem easier in that the card itself be rotating less, but after doing a few movements just now with a deck of cards, the wrist/forearm rotation are about the same, so i don't think it makes much difference overall. it's probably what's easier for the individual more than anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Or draw (for example) with your right hand taking the left side of the card, bam, face up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do often.
I'm with you on this one.
I'm also considered weird by many (in general, not cuz of this), so uhhh take it how you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never even thought about it before. Now, thinking about it, I think I'll continue my policy of not thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I do. I like flipping bottom to top so whenever I have cards face down on the table the top is to me. Draw decks get shuffled so they're often mixed-faced. But when I set my hand of cards down on the table it's top-side-to-me, or when I'm placing cards down for actions in games like Wings of Glory or Robo Rally they're top-side-to-me so that they flip more naturally.

Wargame chits should do the same thing, but almost all don't. I've gotten the hang of flipping top-to-bottom and then spinning them 180 with my first two fingers.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I flip horizontally, so no I don't do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it depends on the situation. I orient things based on number of players, how players are seated at the table, and the dimensions of the board. I also tend to orient things all the same direction. When there are people on opposing sides of the table I try to orient everything sideways to make it easier for everyone to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
mutton_chops wrote:
I've never even thought about it before. Now, thinking about it, I think I'll continue my policy of not thinking about it.

Same here. I believe that my card decks go in all directions, and believe they will continue to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Taylor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I just look at the back of the card and flip it whichever it needs to go.

But then, I tend to prefer tactics over strategy .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Yes, I totally do this when I have a personal draw stack. When it's a communal draw stack, I don't pay much attention to orientation. I pay closer attention to who has long / short arms and put the pile within reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nooo. I can't stand anything out of place when I'm gaming. Everything needs to be symmetrical and upright. In fact, just last night my husband shuffled a deck for a game we played and placed it upside down (don't think he did so on purpose), I thought for a second how it might actually be easier to leave it that way, but I just couldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife prefer to pull cards that way, but I prefer to flip them horizontally. Very handy when we sit opposite each other. But if I play with someone who prefers flipping them sideways, I'll put the deck so it suits them, and adapt my own drawing. Same with placing cards, I'll usually put them so they are right-side-up for my opponent, and I'll just read them upside-down

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds like the missus is considering grounds for divorce and I can't say I blame her. Flipping cards vertically! What kind of monster are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this with every card game I play.

It started with Magic: The Gathering, now it has extended to any game where cards are drawn into a "hand." As someone else pointed out, if it's something like Boss Monster where the card is "drawn" and then placed next to the deck, then I leave it so that way the card is drawn to the side and stays right side up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooo interesting thought. I find myself flipping however I can, I seem to turn the cards with my flip so rather than spend time orientating the cards correctly I fix with my flip. Perhaps not the most user friendly but it keeps setup time low and orientation more open to all players around the table vs just orientated one way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we really discussing how to shave like 10 degrees off our wrist rotation when we draw a card?

I love BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it for deck building games, or anything with a personal deck. Just makes it easier - straight out of the deck and into my hand.

My wife also thinks I'm weird for shuffling in such a way that all the cards remain oriented the same way up - she always flips half the deck with each shuffle so everyone spends the first few seconds of looking at their dealt cards by flipping roughly half of them up the correct way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
Are we really discussing how to shave like 10 degrees off our wrist rotation when we draw a card?

I love BGG.

You're right, but why wouldn't you? It seems like a no-brainer to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:

I love BGG.

You're right, but why wouldn't you? It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Oh, it's definitely a conversation worth having. I just love the desire for maximum efficiency found here.

It reminds me of how people look at me weird when I peel a banana from the so-called "bottom," but is actually the top of the banana. Watch monkeys, people. When it comes to bananas, they know what they're doing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order for this to make any difference, the cards would all have to be aligned the same way within the deck to begin with. Does this mean you also sort through your deck after playing and make sure all the cards are facing the same way?

Do you also make sure the rule book and box top are aligned with the box bottom correctly?

This is not a criticism, as for some illogical reason I often find myself doing these things. These are compulsive habits, not wrong, but certainly not rationally defensible either. Perhaps if you want it one way and your wife wants it the other, you should both agree to simply let the cards lay as they may and not try to orient them.

Personally, I prefer the side flip over the end-to-end flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Upside down, generally. Exception maybe if I don't "draw" the card but just flip it over or something. (Eg, Eldritch Horror encounter cards are upside down in an eraptor rack, mythos cards are right side up on the map legend)

drdranetz wrote:
In order for this to make any difference, the cards would all have to be aligned the same way within the deck to begin with. Does this mean you also sort through your deck after playing and make sure all the cards are facing the same way?
Holy shit, yes. And I will judge and condemn you and immediately correct it if you discard against the orientation of a discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For games like Wings of Glory or Wings for the Baron where you have a set of action cards that you place I sure do have them all facing the same way. Bad things happen in Wings of Glory if you don't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.