Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: About the expansion, a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that the new factions are OP, is this true ? Maybe because they don't have to cross the river and have some habilites.

Also did anyone tried the automa of the expasion ? My question is if the cards are just for the new factions or they are regular cards with some symbols of the new factions added


Finally ,are they fun to play with and against


Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I don't think anyone actually has the expansion yet, though it is supposed to be released this month. So I don't know how anyone with any actual gameplay experience can call the new factions OP at this point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
I read somewhere that the new factions are OP, is this true ? Maybe because they don't have to cross the river and have some habilites.

Also did anyone tried the automa of the expasion ? My question is if the cards are just for the new factions or they are regular cards with some symbols of the new factions added


Finally ,are they fun to play with and against


Thanks


I've done some print and play stuff with them... and they are NOT overpowered. If anything they are simply more difficult.

Both of them have a HUGE downside in the fact they do not have a Speed Mech. Not having that is a VERY big problem if you expect to simply pick them up and be good.

Albion is a great faction and I really like them. Once they've claimed an area it's very hard to dig them out. Their double combat bonuses can really make them a juggernaut great at dog-piling a single enemy. However, they have a very strict starting scenario and can be easily disrupted by a Nordic player (their only village is immediately next to a Nordic worker). Their lack of traditional mobility and desire to hold flags really prevents them from spreading out.

Togawa has a really fun and VERY powerful tool in the traps. They also suffer from low mobility in return from excellent combat bonuses from lakes and a decent combat bonus for solo mechs... but man is their mobility bad. ONLY ONE MECH CAN CROSS A RIVER PER TURN. Oh, but they can cross lakes you say: THEY DON'T HAVE SPEED EITHER. Good luck not telegraphing your attacks. Still the traps are stupid good and nobody wants to take the hit, but due to low mobility you are going to have a harder time getting them where you want and will probably just settle. They are also your primary way of increasing mobility, so don't waste them!

All in all, I think Albion, while fun, is around the same competitiveness as the Saxony and Nordic Factions. Togawa is around Polania level. They both really suffer in the economic department and if they don't get the right board are going to have a real hard time competing against the factions that can crank out stars like nobody's business (Crimea and Rusviet). Togawa has less of a disadvantage than Albion due to having a bigger starting area and no chance for early disruption but it still feels very lacking. The key to both factions is territory control and conflict but they both lack the mobility to really capitalize.

TLDR; not OP at all. In fact, very difficult to use properly.

Here's a fun maneuver though. Take an Albion mech with a worker an attack your enemy. You can then teleport 1-2 MORE mechs to the territory from ANYWHERE to support the combat. This is my favorite part of playing Albion (that and when somebody tries to take your flag. pow! 3 mechs take it back)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure at some point someone will call every faction OP--you can't believe everything you read, Lyle.

If you'd like to better understand the design process behind the new factions, how not having to cross a river is both a pro and a con, and which core abilities were omitted from those factions, please read this:

http://www.analoggames.com/story/the-scythe-expansion-design...

In fact, for a more informed opinion, check out any of the reviews on this page. I don't recall any of them suggesting the new factions are OP:

http://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/scythe-invaders-from...

The additions to the Automa system were crafted specifically for Invaders from Afar.

The expansion will start arriving at retailers next week. The only people who have played it so far are a few reviewers and playtesters.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that the OP has restarted this thread here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24212242
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:


The expansion will start arriving at retailers next week. The only people who have played it so far are a few reviewers and playtesters.


Is this for Europe to?
If yes, to bad they are arriving next week. I'm having a gaming weekend next weekend with friends and was hoping they would arrive this week.
Really looking forward to them though!!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two distributors in Europe that should receive the expansion (and reprints of the game) early next week, so it should arrive at stores in Europe 10-14 days after that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for the repost ! The site went a bit crazy. If the mods could delete the other thread ?



Thanks for answer Jamey !
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
I'm sorry for the repost ! The site went a bit crazy. If the mods could delete the other thread ?



Thanks for answer Jamey !


Hi Lyle,
I tried to answer your Automa specific questions in the other post.
Cheers, David
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
dgenclass wrote:
I read somewhere that the new factions are OP, is this true ? Maybe because they don't have to cross the river and have some habilites.

Also did anyone tried the automa of the expasion ? My question is if the cards are just for the new factions or they are regular cards with some symbols of the new factions added


Finally ,are they fun to play with and against


Thanks


I've done some print and play stuff with them... and they are NOT overpowered. If anything they are simply more difficult.

Both of them have a HUGE downside in the fact they do not have a Speed Mech. Not having that is a VERY big problem if you expect to simply pick them up and be good.

Albion is a great faction and I really like them. Once they've claimed an area it's very hard to dig them out. Their double combat bonuses can really make them a juggernaut great at dog-piling a single enemy. However, they have a very strict starting scenario and can be easily disrupted by a Nordic player (their only village is immediately next to a Nordic worker). Their lack of traditional mobility and desire to hold flags really prevents them from spreading out.

Togawa has a really fun and VERY powerful tool in the traps. They also suffer from low mobility in return from excellent combat bonuses from lakes and a decent combat bonus for solo mechs... but man is their mobility bad. ONLY ONE MECH CAN CROSS A RIVER PER TURN. Oh, but they can cross lakes you say: THEY DON'T HAVE SPEED EITHER. Good luck not telegraphing your attacks. Still the traps are stupid good and nobody wants to take the hit, but due to low mobility you are going to have a harder time getting them where you want and will probably just settle. They are also your primary way of increasing mobility, so don't waste them!

All in all, I think Albion, while fun, is around the same competitiveness as the Saxony and Nordic Factions. Togawa is around Polania level. They both really suffer in the economic department and if they don't get the right board are going to have a real hard time competing against the factions that can crank out stars like nobody's business (Crimea and Rusviet). Togawa has less of a disadvantage than Albion due to having a bigger starting area and no chance for early disruption but it still feels very lacking. The key to both factions is territory control and conflict but they both lack the mobility to really capitalize.

TLDR; not OP at all. In fact, very difficult to use properly.

Here's a fun maneuver though. Take an Albion mech with a worker an attack your enemy. You can then teleport 1-2 MORE mechs to the territory from ANYWHERE to support the combat. This is my favorite part of playing Albion (that and when somebody tries to take your flag. pow! 3 mechs take it back)


Well stated. I also have a bit of experience playing with & against the new factions. They are not OP. Yes, they are tough--but they also play quite differently than the original 5. They present a different challenge than those originals.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplicated thread: About the expansion, a few questions
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
dgenclass wrote:
I read somewhere that the new factions are OP, is this true ? Maybe because they don't have to cross the river and have some habilites.

Also did anyone tried the automa of the expasion ? My question is if the cards are just for the new factions or they are regular cards with some symbols of the new factions added


Finally ,are they fun to play with and against


Thanks


I've done some print and play stuff with them... and they are NOT overpowered. If anything they are simply more difficult.

Both of them have a HUGE downside in the fact they do not have a Speed Mech. Not having that is a VERY big problem if you expect to simply pick them up and be good.

Albion is a great faction and I really like them. Once they've claimed an area it's very hard to dig them out. Their double combat bonuses can really make them a juggernaut great at dog-piling a single enemy. However, they have a very strict starting scenario and can be easily disrupted by a Nordic player (their only village is immediately next to a Nordic worker). Their lack of traditional mobility and desire to hold flags really prevents them from spreading out.

Togawa has a really fun and VERY powerful tool in the traps. They also suffer from low mobility in return from excellent combat bonuses from lakes and a decent combat bonus for solo mechs... but man is their mobility bad. ONLY ONE MECH CAN CROSS A RIVER PER TURN. Oh, but they can cross lakes you say: THEY DON'T HAVE SPEED EITHER. Good luck not telegraphing your attacks. Still the traps are stupid good and nobody wants to take the hit, but due to low mobility you are going to have a harder time getting them where you want and will probably just settle. They are also your primary way of increasing mobility, so don't waste them!

All in all, I think Albion, while fun, is around the same competitiveness as the Saxony and Nordic Factions. Togawa is around Polania level. They both really suffer in the economic department and if they don't get the right board are going to have a real hard time competing against the factions that can crank out stars like nobody's business (Crimea and Rusviet). Togawa has less of a disadvantage than Albion due to having a bigger starting area and no chance for early disruption but it still feels very lacking. The key to both factions is territory control and conflict but they both lack the mobility to really capitalize.

TLDR; not OP at all. In fact, very difficult to use properly.

Here's a fun maneuver though. Take an Albion mech with a worker an attack your enemy. You can then teleport 1-2 MORE mechs to the territory from ANYWHERE to support the combat. This is my favorite part of playing Albion (that and when somebody tries to take your flag. pow! 3 mechs take it back)


J K

Bear in mind that neither of the expansion factions have to cross a river which the play-testers definitely took into account.

Cheers,
Joe
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
We have two distributors in Europe that should receive the expansion (and reprints of the game) early next week, so it should arrive at stores in Europe 10-14 days after that.


What's the street date for the US?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Expansion will be in my hand this Saturday! Can't wait


Edit :
It's here !


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone know if there will be metal coins available? mixing my set with the cardboard purple coins might make my OCD going nuts. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They ARE already available, at many shops which also have the expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.