France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
Hihihi... Stop that, I'm ticklish !
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Is it possible to voluntarily discard a card when nothing forces you to ?

For instance, I have a weapon with no ammunition left, and I have a card which allows me to get an object back from the discard. The rules tell me that I don't have to discard if there are no ammunition left, but I wish to discard the card anyway, to get it back and play it again, refilled.

Can I, or can't I ?

Thank you,

Dncan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have wondered this as well... I have played it as a no, mostly because of the text on a card like the upgraded magnifying glass, where you can pull it back into your hand if no clues exist.

Of course this is a very unofficial answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, unfortunately, you cannot discard a card just at will.

I'll note that you don't "discard" Assets you have in play, anyway. But you still cannot just get rid of Assets you have in play without some game effect.

If you have an empty gun, you can choose to discard it if your hand slots are full and you play another Asset that uses a hand slot or two. You could not choose to discard it if you are using only one hand (your empty gun) and play another one-handed Asset; that would go in your empty slot first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is no rule that allows you to do it, you can't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that as the game rules go, it's obvious that I could play another asset to force the discard, but since I want to play the recovered card after retrieveing it, it's a waste of a card and of the token it costs.

But since the designers were adamant about the position between card game and roleplaying game, I find this strange not to be able to drop something whenever I want to (apart from occasionally cursed objects). Do I have glu on my hands ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ennui
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
But since the designers were adamant about the position between card game and roleplaying game, I find this strange not to be able to drop something whenever I want to (apart from occasionally cursed objects). Do I have glu on my hands ?

If you want to force an RPG perspective on it, then what you're trying to do makes even less sense. Your character will drop the gun out of their hands so that they can pick it up off the floor, fully reloaded?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah they want to provide a game with roleplaying elements but let's not get carried away. This isn't a simulation game. It's a card game with roleplaying elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnnuiX wrote:
Duncan wrote:

If you want to force an RPG perspective on it, then what you're trying to do makes even less sense. Your character will drop the gun out of their hands so that they can pick it up off the floor, fully reloaded?

No : I have to pay the cost a second time to play again the recovered card. Therefore, this could simply mean that I reloaded the gun.
The card is the gun, the cost in tokens the ammunitions. And the necessity to have a way to get the card back represents the fact that I do have more ammunitions to use for it (instead of the tokens being another kind of resource, like money).

As for the game being primarily a card game, yes I know. I didn't complain about the loss of assets if a slot is full.
In an RPG I would have just pocketed my knife (taking the card back in hand) instead of dropping it if I wanted to draw my baseball bat. Games like Arkham Horror (the boardgame) work that way, but this is not possible here because cards can be used for skill tests. Once played as an asset, it shouldn't be available to be used another way, and forbidding to take the card back in hand is how to prevent this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:

I'll note that you don't "discard" Assets you have in play, anyway. But you still cannot just get rid of Assets you have in play without some game effect.

If you have an empty gun, you can choose to discard it if your hand slots are full and you play another Asset that uses a hand slot or two. You could not choose to discard it if you are using only one hand (your empty gun) and play another one-handed Asset; that would go in your empty slot first.

Additionally - I have found it helpful to keep an unloaded gun in an asset slot - (rather than just discard when empty) as there may be a negative effect that makes you drop an asset of your choice... I'd much rather have something empty to drop than another asset I desperately want to hold on to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duncan wrote:
The card is the gun, the cost in tokens the ammunitions. And the necessity to have a way to get the card back represents the fact that I do have more ammunitions to use for it (instead of the tokens being another kind of resource, like money).

Actually, the issue is that the cost is for the gun, not ammunition, and that you do not have more ammunition unless you actually have "Extra Ammunition". See: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/arkhamhorror/arkham-horr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you discard an asset by replacing it with one, redraw it and then replay it you absolutely get the resources back. Can represent whatever you want but you do not have to take it so literally as to say the only way to get ammunition back is to play "extra ammunition"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lajeunesse
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
Gaffa wrote:

Additionally - I have found it helpful to keep an unloaded gun in an asset slot - (rather than just discard when empty) as there may be a negative effect that makes you drop an asset of your choice... I'd much rather have something empty to drop than another asset I desperately want to hold on to!

Right. I thought about this too when I also got to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.