$30.00
Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

High Frontier» Forums » General

Subject: Compass Games: Stellar Horizon announced for pre-order; High Frontier fans should see this now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game looks incredible with fantastic detail. I own a complete High Frontier setup and one of my favorite aspects of that game is the beauty in all the detail.

This one has plenty of great images to show you what it is about. Take a look, pre order.

http://www.compassgames.com/preorders/stellar-horizon.html

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks and sounds awesome!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dingley
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Importantly, it is designed by an actual aero-space engineer with a PhD in long-duration spaceflight from MIT, and he is a game designer to boot.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about shipping to Europe.
does Compass Games accept Paypal?

if both answers are positive I might just preorder as it looks awesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they accept PayPal. View shipping by adding it to your cart. The pay later cart should show estimated shipping too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It needs an entry in the BGG database, so that folks can subscribe to it.

For that big of an outlay, I need to see some reviews and get an idea of game play before I commit. There are some nifty looking things, there, but it definitely needs someone to look it over. A Phil Eklund review would be fantastic. I'd love to know what Phil thinks of it.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
It needs an entry in the BGG database, so that folks can subscribe to it.

For that big of an outlay, I need to see some reviews and get an idea of game play before I commit. There are some nifty looking things, there, but it definitely needs someone to look it over. A Phil Eklund review would be fantastic. I'd love to know what Phil thinks of it.


I agree we need to know much more about it. It looks and sounds awesome, but it needs further detail and review. (And unfortunately, I'm not in a position to commit funds to any game at the moment..... soblue)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth Coating? Sounds like conflict will be a large part of the game...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asmodeos wrote:
Yes they accept PayPal. View shipping by adding it to your cart. The pay later cart should show estimated shipping too.

thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
It needs an entry in the BGG database, so that folks can subscribe to it.

For that big of an outlay, I need to see some reviews and get an idea of game play before I commit. There are some nifty looking things, there, but it definitely needs someone to look it over. A Phil Eklund review would be fantastic. I'd love to know what Phil thinks of it.


I agree we need to know much more about it. It looks and sounds awesome, but it needs further detail and review. (And unfortunately, I'm not in a position to commit funds to any game at the moment..... soblue)

a tentative releases date would also be nice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
$105 is a big amount of dough to front on something blindly, no matter how cool-looking.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The description characterizes it as a 4x. I need to know more, but doesn't seem to be a game just about exploration.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJesse wrote:
Stealth Coating? Sounds like conflict will be a large part of the game...


That, right there, makes me suspicious of this game. One of the best parts of High Frontier is the rigorous scientific grounding of the game. It makes it fun and educational.

Stealth coatings? Well, there ain't no stealth in space*. And any game that has pretensions to being "hard" SF can't include it.

* http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect....'t_No_Stealth_In_Space
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
The description characterizes it as a 4x. I need to know more, but doesn't seem to be a game just about exploration.


Excitement meter just took a rapid nosedive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like combat is part of it, but somewhat limited. The sequence of play lists 20 sub-items, of which only 1 is combat. The foreign relations track has 7 steps, the last two are limited war, and war! So, there is some there but the tech tree and other items seem much more focused on exploration and colonization.

Also, doesnt seem to have any combat victory conditions, just when a world is fully terraformed, a player devs all three interstellar colonization techs, or the end of year 2169.

Most of this info gathered from the tech chart: http://www.compassgames.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/im...

Looks really cool, but at that price point, I will be waiting for reviews. At half that, I would have likely ordered sight unseen.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
$105 is a big amount of dough to front on something blindly, no matter how cool-looking.

Hm, works for kickstarter projects.

How do Compass preorders work? I'd thought you preordered and paid later when the game is about to be produced, similar to the GMT P500?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dasher47051 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
$105 is a big amount of dough to front on something blindly, no matter how cool-looking.

Hm, works for kickstarter projects.

How do Compass preorders work? I'd thought you preordered and paid later when the game is about to be produced, similar to the GMT P500?


Yes, it is. At least it would be better than Kickstarter project on Hugh Frontier by OSS which is late at least by one year now. And the money is charged for at least one year without a game in hand.....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
$105 is a big amount of dough to front on something blindly, no matter how cool-looking.

Hm, works for kickstarter projects.

How do Compass preorders work? I'd thought you preordered and paid later when the game is about to be produced, similar to the GMT P500?


Yes, it is. At least it would be better than Kickstarter project on Hugh Frontier by OSS which is late at least by one year now. And the money is charged for at least one year without a game in hand.....


Perhaps, on the other hand we will be getting HF even if it's a year late. Sometimes stuff on preorder languishes there for years....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
dasher47051 wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
$105 is a big amount of dough to front on something blindly, no matter how cool-looking.

Hm, works for kickstarter projects.

How do Compass preorders work? I'd thought you preordered and paid later when the game is about to be produced, similar to the GMT P500?


Yes, it is. At least it would be better than Kickstarter project on Hugh Frontier by OSS which is late at least by one year now. And the money is charged for at least one year without a game in hand.....


We can play High Frontier when you come over these couple of weeks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
This looks like HF designed by someone who doesn't do abstraction.

And these are some of the hardest to read Pollard markers ever... Compass graphics can never be trusted to be really functional.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rader
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the designer, happy to answer any questions. Let me know! whistle

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're the designer, please add an entry to the database where people can subscribe to get news, reviews, &c. to the game. That's probably a better place to hold a discussion about it.

Do you have any review copies out to reviewers?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rader
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
If you're the designer, please add an entry to the database where people can subscribe to get news, reviews, &c. to the game. That's probably a better place to hold a discussion about it.

Do you have any review copies out to reviewers?


You mean an entry for the game? Either myself or Compass will probably have one up by around January.

We've had a lot of playtesters, but not so much reviewers yet. That's a great idea though! We'll try to coordinate a few of those before release.

By the way, just so people can get a sense of feel, I come from a World in Flames background (Australian Design Group) and it has a similar feel in terms of maps and counters. Although it's not really a wargame: there is military, but it's mostly of a political arms race/cold war sort of nature. You can attack people, but that's not usually how you win. That being said, being defenseless is never smart.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan B
United States
Chevy Chase
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arader wrote:
You mean an entry for the game? Either myself or Compass will probably have one up by around January.


Excellent. I'm looking forward to subscribing to the BGG entry so I can keep up to date on the development, response, etc.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
arader wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
If you're the designer, please add an entry to the database where people can subscribe to get news, reviews, &c. to the game. That's probably a better place to hold a discussion about it.

Do you have any review copies out to reviewers?


You mean an entry for the game? Either myself or Compass will probably have one up by around January.

We've had a lot of playtesters, but not so much reviewers yet. That's a great idea though! We'll try to coordinate a few of those before release.

By the way, just so people can get a sense of feel, I come from a World in Flames background (Australian Design Group) and it has a similar feel in terms of maps and counters. Although it's not really a wargame: there is military, but it's mostly of a political arms race/cold war sort of nature. You can attack people, but that's not usually how you win. That being said, being defenseless is never smart.


I just learned of this game and was trying to hunt down answers to questions that appeared on this thread. I hope you'll pull back the curtains and give us a minimum time expected before you start charging and get that BGG page up

Hearing your comments about WiF made me smile, as a brief look at the kickstarter page was giving me a bit of a 7 Ages vibe... if only I knew more like how long preorders were up, the current "at the absolute earliest you'd see this charging on", a rulebook or rulebook excerpt, a Calandale or Marcowargamer or Ricky Royal or Callasmar YouTube Playthrough, or anything beyond the preorder page's limited information would go a long way to convincing me to preorder.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.