Dorian Hawkins
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I got the base game for my birthday and after a bit of research, I snapped up the bounty hunter expansion.

I would greatly appreciate some assistance on knowing which expansions are "must haves", "interesting additions" or "avoid completelys".

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This recent thread has some suggestions.

Broadly:

Big:
Blue Sun: map extension, MOAR REAVERS!, a very interesting supply deck, Lord Harrow jobs
Kalidasa: the other map extension, another interesting supply deck, Mingo & Fanty and Magistrate Higgins jobs.

Small:
Breakin' Atmo (more jobs and supplies)
Ship packs (Artful Dodger, Jetwash, Esmeralda)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakin Atmo is a very nice little pack that adds some more variety to all the decks. It's cheap and easy to come by too, well worth adding.

Both of the big box expansions are nice. Add the person above described, they both have cool stiff in them. Blue Sun is the better of the two, I think, as it turns the Reavers into more of a threat. Both are good as they expand the verse though.

There are also three ship add ons that don't really change much of the game, but give you some more options for your starting ship. All are nice additions to the game, but none are really must have unless you want the extra variety.

The Artful Dodger _ if you bought the Euro version of the game, this ship congress with it, minus the engine core. It's a faster firefly, but there are some tradeoffs.

Jetwash _ this one I actually like a lit. This is Zoe's ship post Serenity film. It comes with her as a captain option as well as a couple nice upgrades, too which you get right from the start, but it also starts you with less cash overall at the beginning. Despite being a larger ship (being a newer model firefly class), it actually has a smaller cargo hold.

Esmeralda - this one is an interesting one. Another of the larger and newer class firefly ships, it also has a smaller cargo bay and comes with some nice options at the start, but it also can host a larger crew. On top of that, I'd had diplomatic immunity, preventing the alliance from being able to take fugitives from on board making it very interesting for certain types of jobs.

I would definitely pick up at least Breakin Atmo and Blue Sun, if not both the big boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regardless of what expansions you get, I strongly recommend that you introduce them slowly. The game can have a pretty steep learning curve, and although (to me, at least) it doesn't feel "complete" without all the expansions, I'm very glad they parceled them out to allow us to ramp up and learn over time.

BREAKIN' ATMO is 5 more Supplies and 5 more Jobs for each of the core decks. In a sense, this expansion is "more of the same" from the base game, although it helps balance out Tech and Negotiate vs Fight (which is very heavy in the core game).

Recommendation: Unless money is very tight, this one is a great expansion to round things out a little, and you can usually find it cheap.

PIRATES AND BOUNTY HUNTERS adds two new leaders, two new ships (that play somewhat differently from the base Fireflies), new Supplies, and two new types of jobs - Piracy (which are given out by the contacts) and Bounties. This expansion is geared toward player-versus-player, and without that mindset, some aspects are of limited use. However, most of the Supplies are still good (and a few are great!) in the regular version of the game and Bounties can still be collected against non-player cards.

Recommendation: If you want PvP action, this is where you want to be, although it's important to realize that PvP is more often a looming thread that occurs in short bursts rather than a rollicking, ongoing battle. If you don't like PvP or generally play solo, it's still a decent product for variety's sake, especially if you can find it on sale.

BLUE SUN is the first of two Rim Expansions that makes the board bigger buy adding an additional system, including a new Supply Planet and two new Contacts (as well as two new leaders and new Jobs for existing contacts). A lot of the draw here is that space becomes much more dangerous as there are now three Reavers, and a third Nav Deck (Rim Space).

Arguably, BLUE SUN is the most significant expansion to non-PVP play, as it impacts the both travel and work significantly. In the core game, Crime is definitely king, but BLUE SUN helps put Smuggling on almost equal footing, and also gives a boost to Shipping, helping give players more choices to make.

Recommendation: If you're only going to add one expansion, I would suggest either BLUE SUN or KALIDASA. If you don't favor PvP, I think this one is a great way to go because the increase in danger from the Reavers helps offset the lack of danger from other players.

KALIDASA is the second of two Rim Space expansions, and (like BLUE SUN) adds a new system, a new Supply Planet, two new Contacts, and new Jobs for core Contacts. It also includes a new leader, new Supply Cards for all core Supply Planet decks, and introduces The Operative's Corvette, another danger that can plague you in your travels.

Although KALIDASA may not change the dynamic quite as much as BLUE SUN (The Operative is a danger to Wanted Crew, but the Reavers are a danger to everyone), it may be the most substantial expansion, with tons of goodies of all kinds. Just as BLUE SUN makes Smuggling more viable, KALIDASA gives a but of a bump to Legal work and, to a lesser extent, Transport Jobs, so with the full board, almost any strategy has validity.

Recommendation: Although I've saved it until the end, if I were going to recommend one and only one of the four "major" expansions, it would probably be this one, although it only noses out BLUE SUN by a hair. There are no game-shattering changes, but this one helps round things out very nicely. Also potentially of note: although BLUE SUN is great, the Blue Sun system feels far more remote to me than the Kalidasa system. I've played many games where players visit Blue Sun hardly at all, while Kalidasa becomes a bit more a regular port of call.

SHIP PACKS - There are currently three of these: Artful Dodger, Esmeralda, and Jetwash. If you've got the money or the inclination for a little more variety, all are worth having.

The Artful Dodger was originally a promo ship and is pretty much the best ship in the game. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find these days.

The Esmeralda and Jetwash are both "series IV" Fireflies (with Serenity and the ships from the core game being series III). Both come with inherent upgrades (that you have to pay for out of pocket) and the ship packs include a handful of extra Upgrades that can be sprinkled into the appropriate Supply Decks. These ships offer nice variety but, when their added costs are factored in, aren't necessarily better than the existing ships. Jetwash is kind of geared toward Smuggling and Esmeralda toward Transport, so with the right captain, then can excel.

Recommendation: If you crave variety, go for these. If you're looking for a way to keep the game interesting and offer new options to your players without significantly impacting core play, these are fun add-ons. However, they are not essential to the game, and might be best saved until you need to add another item to get free shipping on your order.

OTHER STUFF - There are a variety of other "lesser" products but, in my opinion, they are of value only if you're a completist of looking to spend some extra coin (full disclosure: I have most of them!). They will not significantly impact game play, but may provide some fun at the table.

There are Resin Ships (available in packs or individually) if you want to paint your own models, Ship Dice (a pack color-coded to all existing ships and them some), two different roll-out versions of the map (the Whole Damn 'Verse, which includes both Rim Systems, and the Vera Edition, which is used at conventions), and (coming soon) acrylic tokens to replace your cardboard ones.

GF9 also recently announced CRIME AND PUNISHMENT (a forthcoming expansion that will include new Misbehaves as well as a new idea called Priority Alerts) and Big Money (prop-sized cash for the game, introducing a new denomination - $5000 - as well).

Recommendation: Your mileage will vary.

FINAL WORDS: If you find that you're enjoying the game, I recommend adding the four following major expansions in this order:

1) BREAKIN' ATMO
2) PIRATES AND BOUNTY HUNTERS
3) BLUE SUN
4) KALIDASA

This is the order GF9 released them in, and I think there are reasons for that. Pepper in the Ship Packs and other products whenever you'd like.

Then, let's talk about fan-made expansions, like LOCAL COLOR, the STAR WARS supplement, LEGAL WORK FOR THE ALLIANCE, and ACES & EIGHTS, to make a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
FINAL WORDS: If you find that you're enjoying the game, I recommend adding the four following major expansions in this order:

1) BREAKIN' ATMO
2) PIRATES AND BOUNTY HUNTERS
3) BLUE SUN
4) KALIDASA

This is the order GF9 released them in, and I think there are reasons for that. Pepper in the Ship Packs and other products whenever you'd like.

LOL. I got mine in sort-of that order:

1) Pirates & Bounty Hunters, Esmeralda, Jetwash
2) Kalidasa
3) Breakin Atmo
4) Blue Sun

Now that I am Mr. Completionist in this one it makes no difference, but during the process I kind of wished I went with Blue Sun & Kalidasa first. Then the rest in about any order. I just jumped on what I had good opportunities for (cons, sales, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think any order works, but I do like the chronological progression of:

BREAKIN' ATMO rounding out the intial release;
PBH adding PVP and more resources;
BLUE SUN as the "remote" Rim System introducing the idea of Rim Space;
KALIDASA bringing things home by making the circle complete and adding even more resources.

It's what you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.