Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Henk
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
It's time to vote on the name for another artifact name!
PICTURE REFERENCE

Poll
If people from a futuristic, advanced society dug up a cowboy hat, what would they have thought we called it? PICTURE REFERENCE
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Baldness Decepter
7.2% 6
Banded Feather Exhibitor
8.4% 7
Cap of Melanoma Avoidance
9.6% 8
Cap of Soft Protection
6.0% 5
Corporate Cover-up
2.4% 2
Crown
16.9% 14
Exposure Reduction Basket
16.9% 14
Face Shader
2.4% 2
Foldable Portable Toilet
13.3% 11
Head Hider
1.2% 1
Head Mounted Bullet Detector
8.4% 7
Identity Concealer
7.2% 6
Memorial Lunch Basket
10.8% 9
Obfuscatory Headgear
7.2% 6
Poker Cap
0.0% 0
Profile Heightener
7.2% 6
Protection Plan
1.2% 1
Ray Gun Cover
3.6% 3
Saint Wayne's Mitre
6.0% 5
Skull Cover
3.6% 3
Sun Shade
2.4% 2
Top Flap
2.4% 2
Wet Head Preventer
3.6% 3
Voters 83
This poll is now closed.   83 answers
Poll created by forbiddenlimb
Closes: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hutchins
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sadly these (to me) are not very good choices. Too many of these names are just a description of how a hat is (has been) used.

Names for these artifacts have generally been puns on mistaken identity (ex. tanning bed being called a burial chamber). Of the few that meet this pattern the names are generally too long to be a good pun.

I would suggest limiting names to less than 3 words unless it is absolutely needed for the pun.

Banded Feather Exhibitor = Feather Exhibitor
Foldable Portable Toilet = Foldable Toilet (though I would limit toilet jokes as they are low hanging fruit)
Crown ✔

Edit:
Also I'm assuming the name should have something to do with it's effect. Many of these are quite unrelated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Henk
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
giraffeheid wrote:
Sadly these (to me) are not very good choices. Too many of these names are just a description of how a hat is (has been) used.

Names for these artifacts have generally been puns on mistaken identity (ex. tanning bed being called a burial chamber). Of the few that meet this pattern the names are generally too long to be a good pun.

I would suggest limiting names to less than 3 words unless it is absolutely needed for the pun.

Banded Feather Exhibitor = Feather Exhibitor
Foldable Portable Toilet = Foldable Toilet (though I would limit toilet jokes as they are low hanging fruit)
Crown ✔

Edit:
Also I'm assuming the name should have something to do with it's effect. Many of these are quite unrelated.

Good thoughts, Joshua, and you're right on about what we're looking for in the artifact names. It's really tricky to come up with one that is humorous, matches the effect, shows a misunderstanding about how it was used, and it says something about the Euphorian culture being cold, sterile, process-oriented, mining-based, etc.

With all of the artifacts combined, we'll hit them all, but we usually just try to hit as many of those as possible with individual artifact names. Anyone can feel free to "write in" additional names since Clayton and I will have the ultimate decision on the final name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mbmbmbmb
Normally I would agree with Joshua on keeping the names short. However, this is a game based on the Euphoria IP. There is already an established naming convention in the constructed markets there. Their names are extremely superfluous and extravagant.

I think keeping the theme running on artifact names is important for maintaining the feel of the Euphoria IP. Euphoria is a dystopia, the powers that be want things to sound greater and more amazing than they are in order to maintain the illusion of this perfect world to keep everyone complacent. Stripping their names down to the most basic level runs counter to that and you lose the feeling of playing a game set in the world of Euphoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Henk
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Good point, Joe. Clayton and I have been discussing that throughout the campaign and we will tend more towards the longer, superflous names where we can. All these great suggestions have been making it tough to choose the best ones for the game while keeping it consistent and thematic, but we think you'll be happy with them in the final product and you'll find them fitting for the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.