Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone share what the difference is in components and/or rules between the two editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Ortiz
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
new print comes with a swamp draining and wall builtding module.sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also doubles as Secret Hitler *rimshot!*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to own both.

- First edition had a "hidden opening bid" auction that could NOT increase unless someone played an Outsider investor card

- First edition had 8 properties instead of 7

- First edition had cards that can force your opponent to sell their properties and another one that allowed to roll the die 5 times (each T gave you a card from an opponent)

- Second edition gives you a third move you can do on your turn: Sell a card to a player. If the player refuses to buy it from you (haggling is allowed), it is discarded, therefore removed from the game

- First edition has 13 "out of the bidding" and five "back in the bidding" cards. Second edition has 16 "You're fired" and 4 "Trump" cards. Either way, these cards suck.

The biggest change between the two editions is the end game. In the first edition, there is a "deal" phase where you can make complicated deals that are binding (e.g. For example let me borrow your property, I will play this card, split this amount, and give it back to you). While it sounds cool, it does drag the game and honestly the outcome isn't very interesting.

In the second edition by Parker Brothers, you simply play all of your cards as much as you can. If you cannot play a card, you only get $10 million for it.

I much prefer the second edition because it goes by much faster and selling a card to player creates interesting tension since you are forcing a player to permanently give up potential profit if they say no. Also, I reduce the number of "You're Fired" to 8, since it makes auctions far more interesting. The original rules makes it where you can get a property at super dirt cheap prices to the point where auctions feels irrelevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
Can anyone share what the difference is in components and/or rules between the two editions?

the second is even more rigged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.