Popular Tags: [View All]
Csaba L
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please reinforce me in that I know it right, but I am really not sure:

When a monster spawns into a location where my investigator is uh, investigating, does it automatically engages the investigator and moves into the threat area of his/her?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
when the ghoul priest surprises my folks in the hallway in Act 3 or when

in The gathering scenario?

What about if multiple investigators are present?

Thx for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LugoFather wrote:
Please reinforce me in that I know it right, but I am not sure:

When a monster spawns into a location where my investigator is doing his/her stuff, does it automatically engages the investigator and moves into the threat of his/her?

Yes. Whenever an enemy spawns, it automatically engages with an Investigator at that location, and is placed in that Investigator's threat area. There can be exceptions (described either in the enemy card or in the scenario instructions), but this is the general rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba L
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response!

Do you know what happens if multiple investigators are are present?

The 'Prey' keyword become the answer or the lead investigator chooses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LugoFather wrote:
Thanks for the quick response!

Do you know what happens if multiple investigators are are present?

The 'Prey' keyword become the answer or the lead investigator chooses?

Check Scenario instructions first, then Prey. Lead Investigator chooses only if Prey isn't clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
An enemy like one you mentioned can spawn outside of the Encounter deck, via in instance an Act card advancing.

As mentioned, for this situation it will automatically engage with an investigator at the location (assuming not 'Aloof') and use any prey preference in case of multiple possible investigators to determine who it engages. If prey preferernce is tied, Lead Investigator selects. If no prey ability, Lead Investigator selects.

Just for the sake of clarity, spawning from Act/Agenda, or location text or whatever, isn't the same as an enemy drawn from the Encounter deck. Prey doesn't matter (special ability text notwithstanding) when spawning from Encounter deck, it will always enter the threat area of the Investigator who drew it. Prey can then become relevant later on if the monster's ready, unengaged and with multiple investigators to jump on.

In cases of Hunter and Prey on the same enemy, Hunter's rule (move toward nearest investigator) overrides the Prey preference. So, an enemy has Hunter and Prey: Lowest combat. In the enemy phase, it's Ready and will move. Roland with combat=6 is 1 space away to the east. Wendy with combat=1 is two spaces away in the other direction. The enemy moves toward Roland, even though Wendy has lowest combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
Prey doesn't matter (special ability text notwithstanding) when spawning from Encounter deck, it will always enter the threat area of the Investigator who drew it. Prey can then become relevant later on if the monster's ready, unengaged and with multiple investigators to jump on.

Is this really correct? I though prey doesn't matter only if the spawned enemy has no spawn instruction, since it will then automatically engage the player who drew it.

If an enemy with a spawn instruction is drawn from the encounter deck, then prey would be used to determine the engaged investigator at the spawned location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Is this really correct? I though prey doesn't matter only if the spawned enemy has no spawn instruction, since it will then automatically engage the player who drew it.

If an enemy with a spawn instruction is drawn from the encounter deck, then prey would be used to determine the engaged investigator at the spawned location.

Oh sure, if the card has Spawn instructions on it then those are followed first. I wasn't touching on Spawn stuff instructions in that post, just highlighting how 'prey' on an encounter card enemy doesn't override the "you drew it, you take it" rule. I should have clarified. As you state, Spawn instructions do indeed override the "you drew it, you take it" rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.