flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

My daughter and I have been playing netrunner for about a year (she's 11) and are getting ready to go to our first in-store event later this week. Do you have any tips for:

a) in-store play that might be different than home play
b) tips (or "don't dos") for younger players so they fit in and are good competitors?

My daughter is an experienced gamer with decent netrunner skills (at least, compared to me) and is a good sport. We've watched a few tournament videos and have practiced good game etiquette like announcing what you're doing, organizing your money in an easy-to-read fashion, and so on.

I guess my worry (and my wife's) is that other adult players might be a bit put off by a tween player, and I'm curious what I can do to help make sure everyone has fun, even as her Adam deck challenges their early game skillz.

I messaged the store and they said she would be welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Generally I've found adult gamers (20+) to be more than welcoming to younger gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner communities are very nice and never insult others, so I doubt she will find any trouble...but if they do not let us know so we can troll them forevah!

Seriously, if the gaming meta is anything similar to what we have in here I would not worry at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usually rounds are timed, and you must play both sides within the allotted time, so let her know that.

also, when approaching/passing ICE, accessing servers, etc., it's common to ask/say when you're passing, jacking out, accessing, etc.
i can't tell you how many times i've finished an encounter with a piece of ICE and someone flipped over the next piece when i was planning to jackout or how many times someone's shown me the top card of R&D when i planned to use a replacement effect instead

EDIT: and all of that said, it's common to routinise certain things. say it costs 15c to get into a server, and that value is well known to both players. it's common to say 'i pay 15 to run this server again' as long as both players know the costs and there isn't too much. also, 'i pay 7c to pass these two ICE, are you going to rez this one? no? ok, i continue and pay 8c for the remaining ICE'
things like that are totally fine and help speed up the game.

also keep money a bit tidy. i know it can get a little hectic late game, but don't throw your money all over the place

shake hands, say good game at the end, and make sure to tell her to have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Allen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always ask clarifying questions or ask to read cards you're not familiar with. I would hope that no one would take advantage of a younger player's potentially limited knowledge, but I've seen it happen in MtG tournaments where the younger player was too intimidated to ask. Yes, time is a factor in timed games, but it's also illegal in tournament play to notice an opponents' card trigger and not say anything.

My only other advice is to bring healthy snacks and water and get rest before the tournament. I've made many bad decisions just because I was hungry and couldn't focus on my basic needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brendan,

My gaming group is located in Wilmington, NC and through the years we have had several members bring their children to our open game nights. Having children of my own (now grown) I love it when parents get their kids involved with board and card games. There is so much to be said for the social aspect alone that is in total contrast to the world of social media we live in today. Gaming people are some of the warmest, friendliest people I have met and I have little doubt you will find the same in your location.

Is the event a tournament or just an open Android event where people can gather for casual game play? Doesn't really matter too much other than time constraints could add some stress if your daughter is comfortable playing at a slower casual pace. I myself like the slower pace of casual play and rarely get involved in card game tournaments.

Good luck and most of all have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'd say also be aware of the MWL and any cards with Errata.

Most ANR gaming events whether competitive or casual will expect players to build decks to be MWL legal and follow errata rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the great feedback, everybody! She's really excited.

dr00 wrote:
usually rounds are timed, and you must play both sides within the allotted time, so let her know that.

also, when approaching/passing ICE, accessing servers, etc., it's common to ask/say when you're passing, jacking out, accessing, etc....

also keep money a bit tidy. i know it can get a little hectic late game, but don't throw your money all over the place

shake hands, say good game at the end, and make sure to tell her to have fun

Thanks! Great advice about playing quickly. We've already been practicing keeping money tidy.

ktfod wrote:
Always ask clarifying questions or ask to read cards you're not familiar with. ...

My only other advice is to bring healthy snacks and water and get rest before the tournament. I've made many bad decisions just because I was hungry and couldn't focus on my basic needs.

Thanks! It's only a in-store tournament -- I suspect there won't be more than 10 people there, so a pretty small contingent, and it's only supposed to go a couple hours, but I'll keep this in mind.

kinga1965 wrote:
Is the event a tournament or just an open Android event where people can gather for casual game play?

It's a store tournament, but we'll practice the time limit play.

nungunz wrote:
I'd say also be aware of the MWL and any cards with Errata.

Most ANR gaming events whether competitive or casual will expect players to build decks to be MWL legal and follow errata rules.

Yep -- we build our decks on NetrunnerDB, so it's easy to keep track of.

On a related note -- I am thinking of bringing my Builder of Nations deck, so I get to alert my opponents to the recent Errata of that ID.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and since it seems we are doing general tips for first tournament...I recommend you bring a printout of your decks. Sometimes the TO ask for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, will do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vaduva
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely too late, since you say the tournament is later this week, but it would have been a good idea to go to a casual night at the store (distance permitting). A lot of store that have tournaments also have a weekly casual night/weekend day.

That will give her a chance to get used to her environment and meet some of the players she'll likely see at the tournament.

Then there's the usual:
-Registering (and possibly submitting decklist) and noting who to ask for rules clarification at the event.
-Listening for her pairing each round.
-Greeting her opponent and randomly deciding sides.
-Shuffling, offering cut of the deck, Corp deciding on mulligan first. Then, doing the same after swapping sides.
-I think it's better to lay out the cards in hand for HQ accesses or taking damage, so that cards other then the ones chosen don't get revealed.
-Filling out the results sheet (or verbally letting the organizer know the match results if results sheet aren't used).
-She'll either get her participation prize at registration or it will be passed out during one of the rounds. Depending on how well she does, she may get competition prizes at the end as well.

It's probably worth skimming the Tournament Regulation for anything to note:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/android-netru... (Support -> Tournament Resources)

Good luck to her (and to you)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aingeru Malkav
Spain
Basauri
Bizkaia
flag msg tools
mb
Small reminder:
=> she is 11

I think she should enjoy it and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My kids are now 18, 16 & 13. I've raised them as gamers also. I've been in your shoes.

My advice is primarily to evaluate the situation and just be prepared to intervene with creepers or those socially awkward gamers who won't know how to enjoy gaming with a child. Maybe you even just observe her for the day but don't play yourself. I would never want my child to become intimidated by a bad experience with some aggressive jerk, thereby causing her to shy away from the hobby.

I guess, in summary, I'd want to know my child AND know the opponent first.

One bad experience could capsize the boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It went very well, actually. Most of the regulars didnt make it out, so she ended up playing with tbe very cool store owner and he gave us some alt art pol ops and elis.

We'll go back for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alt art Eli 1.0s? The asking price for those on eBay is £100 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the version from the World Champs decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan T
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, although they are full art rather than alt art, but more likely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DOUGLAS BRUNDIN
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent! I think the most important thing is that she had a positive experience playing with adult players who were respectful of a young lady who is emerging as a gamer.

The best gift I've given my kids is the gift of gaming. From a young age, they've learned to lose and win with grace. They know how to think outside the box to develop strategies to accomplish the task at hand. They've been exposed to nice people, but also some socially awkward people who challenged their expectations of good behavior. Theyve made some good friends, both kids and kind adults. They've gained confidence in asking questions when they don't understand things. The list goes on and on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.