Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Making Spider-Man work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, played the Paint the Town Red expansion this last week and had a blast, but I'm really having trouble making Spider-Man/Symbiote Spider-Man work.

We threw him into a game with Emma Frost, Storm, Thor, and Gambit, which probably wasn't the best idea.I really like Scarlet Spider and Spider-Woman, as they have a bit more flexibility.

Is the main way to make him work just to mix in Symbiote and regular Spider-Man and play exclusively with them? It just seems like he's so hung on the 1 cost/2 cost mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other low cost cards help quite a bit with Spider-man.

Outside of the Paint the Town red heroes...

One option is to have heroes that let you draw cards (Wolverine) This will let you pull the high costing card on top of your draw deck to return to playing your Spider-man cards.

The other is to have the ability to look at what is on your Draw deck (Daredevil).

Both of these will help you with the play order of your cards and improve a Spider-man themed build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider-Man works pretty well, the newer versions of him more so in my opinion. Mix in heroes that has 2 cost or lower cards (Sidekicks!) Also use other cards that have draw power, that way when you have a bunch of Spider-Man cards you don't get roadblocked by something that costs more than 2. Use the Spider-Man cards to draw until you hit something too big, and then use the other draw card.

I don't think that the original Spider-Man is that great, but that latter ones pack a punch. Use Peter Parker, Symbiote Spider-Man, Spider-Gwen, Ultimate Spider-Man or Silk in the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spider-Man and Symbiote Spider-Man work best together if you focus only on 2-cost cards, but it can work to mix in one or two higher cost cards for added punch, especially if you have some 2 cost cards that will give you a straight draw (like wolverine or gambit's commons, or sidekicks) and/or if they boost of the other classes in your deck.

Eg if I'm mixing spidey with scarlet spidey, I'll usually still pick up his uncommon if I can, as it can pack a decent punch with just one instinct trigger (which you'll likely have from your other spidey cards).

If I mix spidey with cards that don't require the 2 cost trigger for card draw and I have both in my hand, I would usually play the spidey ones first, until I hit one I can't draw and then play one of the other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RangerRob24 wrote:

One option is to have heroes that let you draw cards (Wolverine) This will let you pull the high costing card on top of your draw deck to return to playing your Spider-man cards.

The other is to have the ability to look at what is on your Draw deck (Daredevil).

Both of these will help you with the play order of your cards and improve a Spider-man themed build.

Would Gambit work well too? I know one of his is X-men heavy, but the rest seem good on deck manipulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jreilly89 wrote:
RangerRob24 wrote:

Would Gambit work well too? I know one of his is X-men heavy, but the rest seem good on deck manipulation.

Gambit's Stack the Deck for sure with Spider-Man. It allows you to decide what to put on top, and costs 2 to boot. Electra is a very good pairing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Gambit is dynamite in any deck that benefits from deck manipulation (which is all of them), and Stack the Deck is a giant part of that awesome power. You play Stack the deck, put one of your low cost cards on top and then draw it with any of the Spider Friends' card drawers.

For that matter, Stack the Deck is every bit as awesome as Spider-Woman's Radioactive Spider for making sure you don't lose a big card to those nasty things with Feast. This lets you manage to kill Carrion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Veenstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I recently had a game with both regular Spider-Man and Symbiote Spider-Man, they were teamed up with Iron Fist and X-men Wolverine, so I ended up drawing between 15 and 20 cards the last few turns kicking some major ass...

Just combine them together with a normal card drawing power like Wolverine. Add in a hero with a couple of low-cost cards and any other hero with higher cost cards, you'll get huge combos.

He is great as a teamplayer, but not with everyone. He won't work well with heavy hitters like Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gandi wrote:
He is great as a teamplayer, but not with everyone. He won't work well with heavy hitters like Hulk.

For some reason, when I read this part, this is what jumped to the front of my mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahewlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gandi wrote:
I recently had a game with both regular Spider-Man and Symbiote Spider-Man, they were teamed up with Iron Fist and X-men Wolverine, so I ended up drawing between 15 and 20 cards the last few turns kicking some major ass...

Just combine them together with a normal card drawing power like Wolverine. Add in a hero with a couple of low-cost cards and any other hero with higher cost cards, you'll get huge combos.

If you get Spider-Man's green common card he not only gives Hulk a low cost green card to help activate Hulk's superpowers but it also gives you a little recruit boost in Hulk's recruit starved deck. This combo has been helpful a time or two for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Veenstra
Netherlands
flag msg tools
AHewlett wrote:

If you get Spider-Man's green common card he not only gives Hulk a low cost green card to help activate Hulk's superpowers but it also gives you a little recruit boost in Hulk's recruit starved deck. This combo has been helpful a time or two for me.

True, I was only considering the drawing power here, but you are right! You can also add the cheap support it gives to Instinct/yellow cards of other heroes.

I've been lurking around for a month or so before I decided to sign-up a week ago and finally post yesterday, but I've seen a lot of hate (or maybe more a dislike) for Spidey, but IMHO he is a great supporting hero for many decks and he is greatly underrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.