Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group has been toying with the idea of starting the game with all the (non-hazard) space hexes flipped over and randomly distributed, then flipping them face up as you move into them. Has anyone tried something like this before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is - does it add anything to the game? For me it would not, but then again I do not play TI3 (only longingly stare its way)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Stassen
Belgium
Kessel-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or maybe a more free-form way of exploring the galaxy, à la Eclipse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found where someone touched on the idea. I could not find the original forum. If you check the bottom of this thread its called a fog of war variant.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/165243/selective-house-rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves trundorn
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we did it several times, comments on the pics explain our house rules.
fun to play, but we turn-back to pre-made maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reuhl
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
The question is - does it add anything to the game? For me it would not, but then again I do not play TI3 (only longingly stare its way)...

There is a 'Distant Sun' expansion. It is an expansion option where a token is placed, face down, on every planet prior to starting the game. When a player lands ground forces on the planet, the token is flipped, and depending on the revealed icon, the player is either rewarded or penalized in some fashion.

I think this may be a better than the flipped planets only because it will be known and unknown information. Instead of jumping into a astroid field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lievenstassen wrote:
Or maybe a more free-form way of exploring the galaxy, à la Eclipse?

That's what we were thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have often thought about trying this idea as well. This is the exact mechanic used in Space Empires: 4X.

I do not know how much it would add to TI3 to be honest. In SE4x, many of the revealed hexes end up being incredibly dangerous resulting in loss of ships. Most exploration (at least initially) is done with cheap scout ships and therefore, this process of exploration with expendable units becomes an integral part of the game.

As this 'danger' would not exist in TI3, I feel that this exploration would probably just add an element of tedium to the game. More an arbitrary process of slowly finding where the good systems are, turn by turn, rather than tentative path finding by allocating expendable units and/or risk taking with more valuable ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with the exploration hex variant in many of my games.

It can be dangerous so it makes use of the Warfare secondary more as moving just a Destroyer or Cruiser can be useful now.

do to unknown factor of each hex you need to houserule how the hazards effect the fleets entering.

You choose a hex to move to and put your activating counter there and then choose what ships are going to that hex and then flip it over.

As far as Hazards go there can be a bit of danger with those.
Supernova would destroy the fleet that entered (Muatt immune)

Asteroid field would not harm any with tech for moving through but would have to move out at next possible movement and for races without antimass deflectors it would act like they ran into a Space mine and take a roll for each ship.

Other hazards just act as normal

No ship may ever move through an unknown hex and has to stop and investigate. Those with XRD cannot ignore an unknown and fly farther but must stop if entering an unknown hex. Does slow down those with XRD until more is opened up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:
My game group has been toying with the idea of starting the game with all the (non-hazard) space hexes flipped over and randomly distributed, then flipping them face up as you move into them. Has anyone tried something like this before?

Yes, this has been done before. I've never done it, but I've seen quite a few discussions about it over the years.

I really love the idea.

But....

The problem is that the hexes in TI3 vary wildly in their value. The standard building the galaxy/preset maps fix this because of the decisions the mapbuilders as they construct it.

However, if you want to try:
The usual way to get around this and explore the galaxy is divide up the galaxy in sectors, and each sector has an equal number of certain types of sectors. For example, before the game you would:

Look at all the planetary systems and divide them up into 3 piles: 1 pile of systems with less than 2 resources per system, 1 pile with all systems that have 2 resources, and 1 pile with all systems that have more than 2 resources.

Then, you have a pile of all danger systems, and a pile of all empty systems, for a total of 5 piles. Shuffle the piles individually.

Now, divide up the galaxy into sectors. The sectors should be close to the same shape, but do not have to be exactly the same....with about 6 systems in each.

Take the top 2 systems from the pile with 2 resources, and the top hexes from all the other stacks. Shuffle these 6 systems and then fill the sector face down. Repeat until all the sectors are full.

You now have a galaxy with reasonably even distribution of sectors, but without knowing exactly what is where.....it works, mostly.

Eclipe has a really excellent exploration system (one of the few things I like better in that game) but it works because all the hexes in each sector are roughly the same value. (All the hexes in the inner ring are roughly equal in value to each other, but are more valuable than the hexes in ring two, and so on.)

As I said, TI3 has wildly different values throughout the hexes, so Eclipse-style exploration does not work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen that picture before, but for some reason it has never clicked until now that that is a 7 ring galaxy. With face down system exploration. Wouldn't that take around 3 days to play? gulp

Edit: And of course it's The Long War too. Make that 4 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:

Yes, we play this as a standard practice.

To answer Starkiller, I have built sets of tiles to place around each home system, and then use more interesting tiles to place around Mecatol Rex and more neutral spaces. This way players can get a roughly equal resources and influence around their home systems but then have more random discoveries when they explore further out.

I also have layouts that keep players close enough to Mecatol Rex and each other that they can interact effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncrediSteve wrote:
I've seen that picture before, but for some reason it has never clicked until now that that is a 7 ring galaxy. With face down system exploration. Wouldn't that take around 3 days to play? gulp

Edit: And of course it's The Long War too. Make that 4 days.

Well, it is Brad.
He is the main author of Shattered Ascension.
(Unless I have been misinformed.)

Leifr wrote:
Samort7 wrote:

Yes, we play this as a standard practice.

To answer Starkiller, I have built sets of tiles to place around each home system, and then use more interesting tiles to place around Mecatol Rex and more neutral spaces. This way players can get a roughly equal resources and influence around their home systems but then have more random discoveries when they explore further out.

I also have layouts that keep players close enough to Mecatol Rex and each other that they can interact effectively.

Mmmm....yep, sounds about the same.
I think I got the exact rules I specified (by memory) from a post by the guy who built this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that sooner or later I will try that sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.