United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I hate party games. I just do. Sorry.

That said, I like Apples to Apples.

Why? You don't have to sing, you don't have to draw, you don't have to be good at picking out movie quotes or anything like that.

There are two decks of cards: one is full of subjects so that you can start the game with seven cards with topics like Nascar or Jimmy Carter or pepperoni.

The second deck has adjectives, so they're things like "lovable" or "expensive."

On your turn, you get to be the judge. You pick a card with an adjective and read it aloud. Now everyone else has to slap down a card of theirs to make a match. Which is more lovable, Nascar, Jimmy Carter, or pepperoni? You have to decide quickly because the person that puts down a card last is automatically eliminated (that really helps move the game along).

Now the judge gets to look through the rest of the cards and pick the one that he or she thinks is the best match. It may be the one that makes the most sense, or the funniest -- it's their call.

The first person to get their seven cards picked wins. that's all there is to it.

It's a fun game because like I said before, you don't get penalized for not being able to draw or sing or whatever. Everyone gets a chance to judge and to don't know whose card is whose until the end of the round. It's a good excuse to get together and laugh and that's really what you can expect out of a party game. (My rating: 7, which is really good for a party game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, Apples to Apples is lots of fun. But why is it deceptively simple? It appears to be simple, and it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elmonty wrote:
Sure, Apples to Apples is lots of fun. But why is it deceptively simple? It appears to be simple, and it is.

That's exactly what I was wondering.

Ed if you like Apples to Apples, may I suggest checking out Attribute sometime? It's similar to Apples (though it's not as simple). Our group got found Apples to Apples (even with all the expansions and official variants) got stale pretty quick, but we've never gotten tired of Attribute.

There are lots of great party games around that don't require you to sing/draw/etc. Hell, there are even some based around a particular skill but you don't have to be good at it to do well (Wits & Wagers, Who? What? Where?, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Okay, you're right. However, in a way, A2A (how's that for an acronym?) is deceptively simple -- it's not that it looks difficult but isn't, it's that it is one of those "why didn't anyone make a game like this before?" sort of games. A very obvious concept, but also very out of left field (at least it was to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls