1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Game Acquisitions Anonymous rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is April, and it's been- *checks Amazon order history* -11 days since I bought myself a game. Oops, I forgot I picked up a cheap game the other day. Never mind. It was two days ago. laugh

Anyway, this is where we talk about how long (or short) it's been since we last purchased a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Hi, my name is April, and it's been- *checks Amazon order history* -11 days since I bought myself a game.

11 whole days? That's a long time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:
Hi, my name is April, and it's been- *checks Amazon order history* -11 days since I bought myself a game.

I know. I'm getting twitchy. Probably time to buy a new game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Hi, my name is Rich. I have been clean for over three months, and have a two year badge for net positive monies related to board game sales versus acquisitions.

I'm willing to sponsor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I wanted to go through November without buying adding anything new to the collection. Two kickstarters have arrived in the past week. I guess it's money already spent, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 11 days for me as well! Kingdom Builder on November 3rd. Trying to stay clean until the end of the year, maybe even through January. Christmas presents, of course, don't count ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Hi, my name is Rich. I have been clean for over three months, and have a two year badge for net positive monies related to board game sales versus acquisitions.

I'm willing to sponsor.

You're a brave man, sir, given we just had Essen...you may have your work cut out for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Did you ever 'soak cork' for a GAME? Yeah, THAT's when you know you're "addicted"!

googoo ~"I SEENS HIM! along with possibly some 'Mermaids'!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I'm willing to sponsor.

You're an inspiration to us all!

I have plans to buy only one more game this year...let's see how that goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Sharitt
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got really bad at buy games that I would have tough chance getting to the table last year, but I've done much better. I've only bought a few games this year, and all of them easy to get to the table. Now my addiction has switched to filling out my Star Trek Attack Wing collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I'm willing to sponsor.

You're an inspiration to us all!

I have plans to buy only one more game this year...let's see how that goes.

Good luck. Remember that each day is a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McMurray

Chickopee
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mutton_chops wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I'm willing to sponsor.

You're a brave man, sir, given we just had Essen...you may have your work cut out for you!

With Grognads leading the weekly meetings, we have a fighting chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bsharitt wrote:
I got really bad at buy games that I would have tough chance getting to the table last year, but I've done much better. I've only bought a few games this year, and all of them easy to get to the table. Now my addiction has switched to filling out my Star Trek Attack Wing collection.

Nice job reigning in the addiction! I will say this: every game I buy we play. If I don't think it'll make it to the table, I don't buy it. Also, I buy almost all of my games at a discounted price. So while I'm running out of space, I'm not quite running out of cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Soleia wrote:
mutton_chops wrote:
Soleia wrote:

I'm willing to sponsor.

With Grognads leading the weekly meetings, we have a fighting chance.

You speak truth, brother!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 3 days for me but that should be it until I can grab Great Western Trail and the next print run of Terraforming Mars. After that I'm retiring from buying games, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, this seems unfair, as I feel like wondering into a AA or Gambling Anonymous where people are saying they have drinking or gambling problems respectively and when it's my turn, I tell them with a straight face I have absolutely no issues with either of them (don't get me wrong, I have other vices though :x ).

Still, this thread has got me wondering so I checked... last games I purchased were back in March of this year, so we're going on 8+ months thus far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Wednesday, so 5 days (Lost Cities). And another 2 days before that (Condottiere, original not FF).

Before that, though, it was 5th Oct, and before that, 1st Sept. So not too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triboluminous wrote:
Last Wednesday, so 5 days (Lost Cities). And another 2 days before that (Condottiere, original not FF).

Before that, though, it was 5th Oct, and before that, 1st Sept. So not too bad.

do I count the $2 games I get from work? if so... um yeah... I don't want to play this game anymore....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been 2 days since I bought Champions of Midgard after seeing it on Table Top and doing my due diligence here on BGG. It's been quite a hit, so I don't regret it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
It's been 11 days for me as well! Kingdom Builder on November 3rd. Trying to stay clean until the end of the year, maybe even through January. Christmas presents, of course, don't count ninja

Haha, sounds like you and I caved on the Queen games Amazon sale. I got Fresco. I agree, Christmas presents don't count. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, this thread. It's comparable to holding an AA meeting at a winery!

I now limit myself to a one game in, one game out policy, and I can only spend as much as I received for the sale of the last game out.

However, there is an exception to that rule. I make around $100/yr doing online surveys, so that is my boardgame money for adding to the collection. These surveys pay approx $5/hr, so it makes me really value that money and use it wisely

For instance, do I want to blow a year's worth of survey money on one game like Mechs vs. Minions, or just be happy playing another person's copy a couple times and instead use the money to buy 2 or 3 games no one else in my group has? (refer to wishlist, carefully researched and curated over several months)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
aaj94 wrote:

Haha, sounds like you and I caved on the Queen games Amazon sale. I got Fresco. I agree, Christmas presents don't count. whistle

Yes, sure did. I regret not getting some escape expansions as well... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Haha, this thread. It's comparable to holding an AA meeting at a winery!

I now limit myself to a one game in, one game out policy, and I can only spend as much as I received for the sale of the last game out.

However, there is an exception to that rule. I make around $100/yr doing online surveys, so that is my boardgame money for adding to the collection. These surveys pay approx $5/hr, so it makes me really value that money and use it wisely

For instance, do I want to blow a year's worth of survey money on one game like Mechs vs. Minions, or just be happy playing another person's copy a couple times and instead use the money to buy 2 or 3 games no one else in my group has? (refer to wishlist, carefully researched and curated over seceral months)

I loosely try to follow this as well, though I don't do the price match. I have several expansions and selling one opens up a 'slot' for me. Similarly, getting rid of a pnp card game fills up a space. I just can't fit more than sixty games on my shelf, so that's my hard cap, pretty much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really wish the users of BGG could get out of this mindset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still waiting on a handful of Kickstarters and a preorder through Cool Stuff Inc. that should ship next month (and actually does include some Christmas gifts). While I KNOW I have games on the way and don't really need anything further, I still find myself picking up the occasional cards for Star Wars Customizable Card Game and Star Trek Customizable Card Game (Second Edition). Plus, the elusive Revolver Expansion 2.1: The Savage Guns. PlusEvolution: Gigantism Promo. So... You know. It never ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.