Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I would like to give kudos to Daniel Karp for his truly outstanding and incredibly helpful article regarding the painting of his War of the Ring minis. It can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/37355

I, too, would love to paint my War of the Ring figures in such a manner as to achieve similarly spectacular results. Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the patience to do so. However, I would like to at least paint each nation in that particular nation's colour, and perhaps at a later date take the time do up the special characters (the grey ones) in all their glorious detail.

I'd still like the figures to look fairly spiffy, so the following are the steps I intend to take to end up with what will hopefully be a fairly decent result. I haven't actually put paint on a mini since I was a wee lad, so hopefully you experienced painters out there can tell me if this might work.

1) Remove flash
2) Give them a bath
3) Spray with a primer
4) Apply a coat using a darker shade of the paint
5) Dry brush using a lighter shade of the same colour (in the hopes of achieving an eye-popping 3D effect)
6) Spray on a sealant

I'm also curious to know if applying a wash between steps 3 and 4 using either a very dark shade of the same colour or black might enhance the 3D effect still further. If so, would the next layer of paint end up covering that up, or would I have to dry-brush both of the following 2 shades over the wash? Also, which colour spray primer (black or white) would be the best way to go, or will that depend on the colour of the figure? I thank you in advance for any helpful advice you may have to offer.

Cheers!

Josh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Painting plastic minis - the lazy man's plan. Will it w
Yes - I think the wash would help.

wash & dry
Spray Primer
I usually mat seal the primer so it's less likely to peal off
Medium tone paint
Wash and wipe of burnt umber
dry brush of highlights
seal

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, mate! I'm not overly familiar with some terminology, so I wonder if you could expand on a couple of things for me.

What does "mat seal" the primer mean?

If I understand you correctly, the wash is applied after the paint? Is that why you "wipe" it?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Painting plastic minis - the lazy man's plan. Will it w
The matte seal is just a spray clear coat over the primer. I use the same matte clear coat that I put over the final project.
The wash and wipe can pull of the paint and the primer some times so that's why I seal it in between steps.
After putting the first coat of color just flood the whole piece with watered down burnt umber or black then wipe it off with a damp cloth. Be gentle though. Leave the dark paint in the cracks and crevices. Then just pick a highlight color and drag a really dry brush of paint over the high points. Play with it a little bit on a couple of figures and you'll get it all dialed in before you attack the whole project.

I love doing washes. It's a lot of fun and can get real messy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Thanks again, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick tip on making a wash. Use a 50/50 mix of water and clear acrylic floor wax. The wash will stay in the details of the figure, and you get less spotting due to wash droplets forming.

and...you are correct. apply your base color. Wash with a dark shade or black, then drybrush. You can even wash white with a light gray or brown, then drybrush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MadBrad wrote:
Quick tip on making a wash. Use a 50/50 mix of water and clear acrylic floor wax. The wash will stay in the details of the figure, and you get less spotting due to wash droplets forming.

and...you are correct. apply your base color. Wash with a dark shade or black, then drybrush. You can even wash white with a light gray or brown, then drybrush.

Thanks for the tip! So how much paint do I throw into the water/wax mixture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Ugh drybrushing... I know you're looking for quick but still

You might also want to look into "dipping" if you're looking for fast good results. It's still a shortcut, but one that looks much better then drybrushing if done well.

Edit: Though now that I think about the low quality of the minis for that game and the high number of them nearly any fast paint method will provide reasonable results.

I certainly will look up what this "dipping" is all about. Anything that will make the process quicker and more painless is worth investigating. You are talking to a lazy man after all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls