Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

The game seems like it would be good but for some reason we are really drawn to it (so I guess that makes it great).

We have played two games so far (2p) and we scored 52-46 first time and then 65-62 last time.

I read about people scoring over 100 and wondering what we are doing wrong. This third game I took an island early and my wife took one as well (and a house).

Is that the norm? Should we be taking more stuff?

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the first game with my girlfriend yesterday and she won 73 to 68.

Both of us ignored the islands and we struggled to even fill our main boards... I have no clue how you would go about filling an extra island or even the extra buildings surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohammad Ali
msg tools
mbmbmb
Those are reasonable scores for the first two games. It is hard to say what you are doing wrong when you don't exactly describe what you are doing, but just play a few more times and mix and match strategies. Set yourself some incremental non-point related goals that tie to specific strategies you are exploring. In my opinion that is the best way to get a sense of what is effective versus what is a distraction. Ask yourself why you would want one island over another, a long house over a shed, etc.

Next game for example, you could resolve to get the Sheep Bonus active on Faroe island by the end of round four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Spring is upon us and baseball is back! Lets go Mets!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which islands did you guys take, Jon? And did you both focus on them?

Iceland is my favorite island to grab early, because it suits my playing style. But the best advice I've gotten about Odin is if you take an island early, devote most or all of your effort to filling it up as quickly as you can. Only then should you start working on your home board. The reason is that the islands let you get income and bonuses much more easily than the home board.

This has made all the difference for me. In my first two games, my scores were in the 60's and I finished dead last both times. My last two games, my scores were 100 and 114 and I won them both. Obviously, experience and familiarity with the actions has helped as well, but getting your income up early on, together with a few nice bonus tiles, is just so important. I actually have never completely filled up my home board. After I finish off Iceland, I just work on covering up the "-1" squares on my home board and ignore the bonuses and higher income squares. This is much easier than worrying about the restrictive rules for these squares, so I've had good success with it.

I've never played with 2, so I can't guarantee the issues are the same as they are for 3 and 4 players. But I have no reason to think your scores will be much different than they are with more players. Try focusing on your islands from the start and see if that helps you both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say its working well for you. You know there is room for improvement so room for plenty of experimentation. If you get really high scores too early and too easily then the game isn't challenging you and so would probably see less game time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Which islands did you guys take, Jon? And did you both focus on them?

I took Faroe Island since it had some silver on it.

I think my wife took Shetland.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had similar scores on our first games. Now we score around 100 points in a 2-player game. Just keep playing, you'll get the hang of it.
One thing: did you play the 6-round or the 7-round game? That makes a huge difference in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
We had similar scores on our first games. Now we score around 100 points in a 2-player game. Just keep playing, you'll get the hang of it.
One thing: did you play the 6-round or the 7-round game? That makes a huge difference in my opinion.

Well, first game we did the 6 round game with only cards from A deck.

Since my wife are veterans of Agricola, we mixed in all the cards for the second game and did a 7 round game.

We are almost done in third round (will probably finish tonight) and I think my wife is going to beat me again!

Do people generally fill in their home board to get rid of all the negative points? In a 2 player game, how many islands end up getting taken?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
Anny48 wrote:

Well, first game we did the 6 round game with only cards from A deck.

Since my wife are veterans of Agricola, we mixed in all the cards for the second game and did a 7 round game.

We are almost done in third round (will probably finish tonight) and I think my wife is going to beat me again!

Do people generally fill in their home board to get rid of all the negative points? In a 2 player game, how many islands end up getting taken?

Thx
jonpfl

In the 11 two-player games I played at most 2 islands where taken (one each). But we did not take one early.

It is often a good strategy to fill your homeboard, as the high income is worth many points on its own. Only when you do not have many tiles (maybe you filled more than one island) you do not fill your homeboard, but you still try to fill as many negative points as possible.

But you will see after a few more games. It will get easier as you get more familiar.

Don't be afraid of negative points. Houses that have a few negative points at the end of the game are still worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy that seems to work for me is to place one/two tiles on my home board (to get at least income 2 and possible mead) and then go for houses or even better islands ignoring my home board until round 4/5.

The bonuses from islands are better (bigger/more tiles) and are easier to fulfil.

As for filling the home board, you could try buying a few sheep/cattle and trading them for green tiles that cover a lot of negative points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Finished our third 2 player game (with wife) and our scores are slowly climbing.

Last game I finally won 74-69.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
Reading your answers I start to think that I have some kind of "I judge myself more negatively than I actually am"-issue:
I played my first game with 86 points with exploration.
I played my 2nd match with 74 points trying to breed animals.
I finished my 3rd match with 84 points - nearly filling 2 islands + the main board.
They were all solo games.
Now there wasn't a voice in my like: "hey I got a great score for the first matches and discovered multiple interesting strategies". There was a voice that was like "ok, but not that great".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keine Angabe
msg tools
I played again 2 matches this night and scored the 2nd match exactly 100 points in a solo game. I made some mistakes (e.g. forgot a round to take 2 blue tile from homeboard).
I play this game without much calculating and intuitively choose actions + occupations that fit well together.
I didn't fill my homeboard, so this resulted in -35 points.

Main strategy:
-I got a stone thrower (89a) who gave me +2 instead of +1 for every stone I spend for plundering or pillaging. This was my starting occupation.
-I got a peacemaker (38A) who gave me +1 stone per turn instead of a weapon card.
So I got an early boat (built it with wood) and went pillaging/plundering and exploring iceland: got 7 items (mainly huge ones), including the crown. Later I also bought 4 items with the 3 point action that requires the 5 silver boat.
I got a lot of stones to support this strategy from iceland, homeboard and from another occupation card (get 2 from mountain stripes every time there is no harvest). Except for a whole early mountain stripe to get 2 wood, 1 stone, 2 iron (for the ship) and 4 silver I didn't spend any actions on mountain stripes. I had luck with rolling my dice.

I filled iceland early:
I got the U-shaped item + 2 coins (placed it upside down) to get the stone + iron bonus. I also got the chalice and placed in on the left to get an early 4 income bonus. I fill up spaces with silver to get the bonus.
Later I placed: the crown on the right side of the fish and the L-shaped tile needle on the left side of the fish.
I filled up the rest with silver + a green 1x3 tile.
-> 8 bonus income and the fish is nice together with the harvest so I nearly didn't buy anything for the feast.

Later I got points with emigration round 5 and 7, filled up island D (38 points) and got 2 houses (a 8 point house (I had stones and wood left) and a 10 point one as bonus from an island).
I used a lot of cheap actions like: 2 times upgrade and upgrade the yellow 1x3 into a green 1x4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.