Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest scuttlebutt hints that we will be seeing Rodgers and Hammerstein's Mark Herman's South Pacific in C3I #30.

Looks to be much smaller in scale than even Plan Orange, but that just means it will play even faster, good for conventions.

Photo preview of game

Insta-buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot damn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
These small form factor EotS games are awesome, and a great value compared to other magazine games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, this is auto-buy.

I love EotS but sometimes it is too much to digest. It is also long game, so I am not playing it as much as I should.

But getting to table one evening game like Plan Orange or South Pacific (I assume it will be one evening) is much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have to get this game to smooth my way into learning EOTS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Latest scuttlebutt hints that we will be seeing Rodgers and Hammerstein's Mark Herman's South Pacific in C3I #30.

Looks to be much smaller in scale than even Plan Orange, but that just means it will play even faster, good for conventions.

Photo preview of game

Insta-buy for me.

Could be an excellent way in to what many see as too complex a game. A way to ease into EotS. Start with South Pacific, step up to Orange, then up again to Sun. I may be all wet (no pun intended) but it seems reasonable. Add me to the growing Must-buy list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I'll buy this.

One does wonder though, will we eventually get to the point where we have an EOTS game that is just a single hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:
Yep. I'll buy this.

One does wonder though, will we eventually get to the point where we have an EOTS game that is just a single hex.

In the same tradition as the print-and-play 5 minute wargames, I could see a one-hex Iwo Jima game.

Allies get a deck of 3 cards, which will determine how many or few ships and ground they get to send. Intelligence condition roll determines if/how many forces Japan gets to respond with.

Roll for naval battle. Roll for ground battle. Allies take the hex they win, Japan keeps the hex they win.

Just create an OOB, and bam. Done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this work at all with the solo rules from EotS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Sisson wrote:

Yah, one of the trade offs with ease of play is that the game becomes more puzzle-like and with fewer units there will be fewer attacks. Luck might play a bigger part than in the 'full size' EotS games where die rolls will have a better chance to even out.

Whenever Mark gets around to creating a BGG page for South Pacific we can get him to weigh in on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, that game is definitely an "instant buy" for me, as well!

Looks like I'll have to make another custom box cover! (That's a shameless plug for my Plan Orange box cover, found here: Custom Box Cover)

And thanks for porting the news over from CSW! I'm one of the stuck-up types that has issues navigating CSW's messy structure, so I prefer hanging out here at BGG. So I really appreciate those of you who are looking at for those of (us?)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

Yah, one of the trade offs with ease of play is that the game becomes more puzzle-like and with fewer units there will be fewer attacks. Luck might play a bigger part than in the 'full size' EotS games where die rolls will have a better chance to even out.

Whenever Mark gets around to creating a BGG page for South Pacific we can get him to weigh in on this.

I always find conjecture like this interesting, but my experience it is the exact opposite. The limited area, smaller hand size, and short time line make each turn a rather violent affair.

I am waiting for the official cover before I create a new game page, although I am not sure it deserves its own page since it really is an EotS scenario and technically could be played with the original game.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
SBGrad wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

I always find conjecture like this interesting, but my experience it is the exact opposite. The limited area, smaller hand size, and short time line make each turn a rather violent affair.

I am waiting for the official cover before I create a new game page, although I am not sure it deserves its own page since it really is an EotS scenario and technically could be played with the original game.

Mark

That's interesting! So would it be a great intro/beginner scenario for people like me who still have the game in shrink?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
provence wrote:
MarkHerman wrote:
SBGrad wrote:
Mike Sisson wrote:

Mark

That's interesting! So would it be a great intro/beginner scenario for people like me who still have the game in shrink?

That's the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More scuttlebutt...photo of entire map

MarkHerman wrote:

OTOH, it will be a stand alone complete game that you can purchase separately. I'm cool whichever way you go with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.