Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time my son and I played this mission I asked him if he wanted to clear guys out or move the bomb, figuring that we should each try to take on a role. "Both" was his answer. Mmmkay. What ended up happening was he went right after the Minions and I decided to move the bomb. And just as we were about to win his glitch caused him to push me out of the way. We were then faced with a decision on the next turn. He could tow the bomb, or he could leave it for me to tow and we'd win. He was quite bummed about it, but ultimately agreed that winning was more important than him moving the bomb just because he wanted to. So that was a bit uplifting, that he could be selfless when it came to winning together. Onto the new run-through.

Mission 1 - Mistakes Were Made

Me - Heimerdinger
Wife - Tristana (sigh)
Son - Ziggs

Before even setting up, my son declared to my wife about his plan to push the bomb because he hadn't done so in our last game. Fair enough. For our 2nd game in a row, the turn cards came out early and often. Even in the opening double-draft I think there were only 2 move cards. I ended up with a Scythe and Fuel tank, leaving the move cards to the others.

The fun part, as I'm sure many have experienced, was during the Minion phase after they moved and then spawned anew. "What?" said my wife. "This seems a bit harder than the tutorial!" I could feel the gamebox laughing at her "mwahahahaha." Mind you, I've only seen up to Mission 3, so I can only imagine what happens after that.

A few turns in I finally got going and managed a level-2 Ripsaw to help my plan of "clearing the path". My wife did the same while my son went up the middle pushing the bomb. Unfortunately he got ahead of us a little and the bomb took 2 damage early.

My wife moved beyond us both in the next turn and activated her schematic to clear a bunch of Minions. Meanwhile, my son made some questionable programming choices and went off to the side (also aided by a random move glitch). I was in position to tow the bomb further down the road, so that's what I did, detonating my fuel tank to prevent the bomb from taking its last damage point (another "phew" moment when we realized that players were damaged first, then the bomb).

The final turn I was able to move myself back in line with the repair pod with the bomb in tow, hoping to finish the job next turn. Unfortunately I had left the bomb adjacent to a Minion spawn point and it therefore took its last point of damage, exploding and ending the game. Looking at the upcoming cards, we would have needed 2 more turns to win anyway, so the likelihood of victory was small.

Ziggs' glitch really took him out of the game for the last 2 turns also which hurt the team immensely. Had we known how bad that was, we might have made some more suggestions about repairs or ordering of cards, but instead opted to let him do his thing.

My son has already declared that we go with "easy mode" for our next attempt, which I can't say I disagree with. I think we could win it on normal difficulty, but would rather give ourselves a little room to fail and be less concerned about Ziggs putting a Blaze in slot 1 when standing at the edge facing out.

In any case, it was fun nonetheless and now I can use "unfinished business" to help motivate my wife again. Not sure she needs the motivation, but every bit helps, right?

Edit: a few typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.