36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Blood Bowl (2016 edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Woah woah, hold on... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Solo
msg tools
I was pleasantly surprised at the price point until I realised that the core box only has two races, and no league rules. Absolutely no one ever in history played the game with a fresh basic team every game, which means that the Death zone expansion is compulsory. Ooh, large board looks nice...until you realise that it looks as sturdy as a chipshop wrapper and that six fold boards rip in about a week. Yes it's double sided, but that means one side is always getting roughed on the surface. Bigger squares and minis meaning you can't use your old rulers or boards etc, or am I being overly cynical. Plus they were promising seven new teams in the expansion, which appears to now be 4...It looks shiny, and I've owned every iteration of Blood Bowl so far, but with identical rulesets I'm going to wait for a second hand copy. Saying that with their track record on Space Hulk etc this will be dropped after the extras are all out and it will be going for three times as much on Ebay.....dillemna!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's vexing, but they have said they are releasing a PDF with all of the CRP teams (minus Slann). And Death Zone will have more than 4 teams (we'll have a while to wait on the minis, though):

There are ways around the pitch size thing as well--many players use range charts instead. (I like the ruler myself.) I definitely think the new edition's an optional buy for somebody who's bought all the previous ones, but I'm excited about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you need the deathzone book for the expansions or do they come with their own cards?..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
Good to know, cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
As for the new team packs having their own stat cards, it sounds like apart from a tweak on the gutter runners and human catcher (or is it thrower..?) the races are exactly the same, so just download the living rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sockett77 wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised at the price point until I realised that the core box only has two races, and no league rules. Absolutely no one ever in history played the game with a fresh basic team every game, which means that the Death zone expansion is compulsory. Ooh, large board looks nice...until you realise that it looks as sturdy as a chipshop wrapper and that six fold boards rip in about a week. Yes it's double sided, but that means one side is always getting roughed on the surface. Bigger squares and minis meaning you can't use your old rulers or boards etc, or am I being overly cynical. Plus they were promising seven new teams in the expansion, which appears to now be 4...It looks shiny, and I've owned every iteration of Blood Bowl so far, but with identical rulesets I'm going to wait for a second hand copy. Saying that with their track record on Space Hulk etc this will be dropped after the extras are all out and it will be going for three times as much on Ebay.....dillemna!

League rules was not part of the core box in the last version either.

I think the new board look quite sturdy, looked at a real life version at my local shop today. I have other double sided boards for other games, never had any issues.

If you buy the new bigger board, you also get the bigger rulers. Why would you use the old rulers with the new board. You can also use your old minis with the new board. Only issue is that you cannot use the new miniatures with the old board, but that has to be a minor issue?

There are 7 teams in the expansion, how do you get it to four?

If you don't fell like it, don't buy it. I personatly thinks the changes are for the better. I played the previous version years ago, and never thought it would come back. I am just happy that only the visuals changed, and I understand why they did the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
I got it to four because all of the press releases for it said Dwarf, Skaven, Nurgle and Elf. However that has been cleared up for me thanks to the previous poster, so happy days. I have to disagree about the boards sturdiness, but we are all entitled to our opinion. As for the compatibility issue, like many people after playing and running many games and seasons over the years I have gone through quite a few boards and templates, as the large amount of third party accessories and boards for 'fantasy football' attest. I can also understand why they have made the size change, as it instantly solves their problem of third party products from a business standpoint. They are of course a business first and foremost. I agree that the minor cosmetic changes are for the better, and that the new artwork looks great. Just struggling to see why I can justify buying it as an existing player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Wyeth
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP have you got a physical copy? Just wondering why you thought the board would be like chip shop paper, as GW boards for their games are normally better than any other board game publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
Hi, the Warhammer TV Youtube channel has an unboxing video posted, which is very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
I will say that a d16 included....yes, about flippin time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sockett77 wrote:
Hi, the Warhammer TV Youtube channel has an unboxing video posted, which is very useful.

I have seen 3-4 different unboxing/review videos, nobody mentioned a bad board. And I have seen a psysical version in my local store, it did not seem bad in any way.

But I have my own copy in 12 days, and I will let you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
sockett77 wrote:

I have seen 3-4 different unboxing/review videos, nobody mentioned a bad board. And I have seen a psysical version in my local store, it did not seem bad in any way.

But I have my own copy in 12 days, and I will let you know

6:55 in this video talks about the board quality. Looks okay to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Woah woah, hold on... GW releases a new edition of Blood Bowl, with basically no changes in the rules, with new models and boxed plastic teams on the way - yet people still complain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'm going out on a limb here, after reviewing the OP's posted game collection and hazard a guess in my old man voice: "you ain't played a GW game before. Have ya son? Sure beats FFG in terms of production quality."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkehbwoy wrote:
Woah woah, hold on... GW releases a new edition of Blood Bowl, with basically no changes in the rules, with new models and boxed plastic teams on the way - yet people still complain?

Well, yeah, but those teams cost like a third of the price of teams currently on the market. With all the money players save, they'll probably buy heroin and end up dead. Do you even think about these things?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
puzzlemonkey wrote:
monkehbwoy wrote:

Well, yeah, but those teams cost like a third of the price of teams currently on the market. With all the money players save, they'll probably buy heroin and end up dead. Do you even think about these things?

No way....citadel paints, brushes, primers, varnish, glue, razors, extra sprues of miniatures to fill the roster, expansion teams, dice....who can afford heroin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
varnish, glue, (snip) who can afford heroin?

Gotta use what you got?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
Vroomer wrote:
I'm going out on a limb here, after reviewing the OP's posted game collection and hazard a guess in my old man voice: "you ain't played a GW game before. Have ya son? Sure beats FFG in terms of production quality."

Ha, I've been an avid GW fan since the early eighties mate, all I'm saying is that board looked pretty flimsy in the vid. Oh, and I've already caved in and preorder. They had me from hello, the gits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
Who needs heroin, that GW glue is pretty potent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're worried about the reverse side of the board getting scuffed, just put a tablecloth under it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
sockett77 wrote:
... Absolutely no one ever in history played the game with a fresh basic team every game, which means that the Death zone expansion is compulsory...

B.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
If you're worried about the reverse side of the board getting scuffed, just put a tablecloth under it.

Why would one put a tablecloth under the board (since that would mean putting a tablecloth over a carpet )?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Solo
msg tools
tocoking wrote:
sockett77 wrote:
... Absolutely no one ever in history played the game with a fresh basic team every game, which means that the Death zone expansion is compulsory...

B.S.

Toco, you seriously never use the league rules..? Dude, you are missing out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea behind splitting the league rules and other teams out into DZ is that the boxed set becomes a standalone board game – people who aren't hobbyists, who aren't likely to get into the nitty-gritty of league play, expanding a team, and so on, can pick it up as a two-player tactical board game. No two games of Blood Bowl are ever the same, especially if you use the Special Play cards that are now included in the box, so there's actually quite a lot of longevity without adding Death Zone.

For proper hobbyists, who want to get into leagues and get the full BB experience, yeah, Death Zone is essential. But putting all of the league rules, additional teams and the rest into the core boxed set would have made the base game seem a lot more complex, and would probably scare off the more casual gamers.

Hope that makes sense!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesMHewitt wrote:
The idea behind splitting the league rules and other teams out into DZ is that the boxed set becomes a standalone board game – people who aren't hobbyists, who aren't likely to get into the nitty-gritty of league play, expanding a team, and so on, can pick it up as a two-player tactical board game. No two games of Blood Bowl are ever the same, especially if you use the Special Play cards that are now included in the box, so there's actually quite a lot of longevity without adding Death Zone.

For proper hobbyists, who want to get into leagues and get the full BB experience, yeah, Death Zone is essential. But putting all of the league rules, additional teams and the rest into the core boxed set would have made the base game seem a lot more complex, and would probably scare off the more casual gamers.

Hope that makes sense!

That is also the reason that the teams in the base box comes in blue and green plastic.

Skaven are the usual grey, and I bet every future plastic team will be as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.