James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
You Do Not Need to Know Any German to Play Kashgar (I Promise!)

Such an intriguing subject, but completely empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
And wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmb
It's an empty promise.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Minor Weaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
begging to differ
Hi! I’m the one to blame. I impulsively deleted my previous account some time ago and, alas, failed to take note of the fact that all of my posts would vanish with me. I feel really bad about that, and kind of wish BGG would allow users to delete accounts without their posts disappearing, which is obviously unfair to future readers of ghost threads and those perplexed by bizarre gaps in conversations across the site. Again, apologies!

But let me reemphasize that You Absolutely Do Not Need to Know German to Play Kashgar without paste-ups. It’s entirely possible to have no background in the German language (raises hand) and yet to commit all text-based character descriptions to memory without it being much of a herculean feat. I’m hardly gifted when it comes to foreign languages, and yet I found it fairly easy to get a grasp on Kashgar’s descriptions.

Neither my wife (native Polish speaker) nor I (native English) have ever studied German, and yet within a few games we found that by learning a whopping six German vocabulary words (for deck, discard, contract, etc.) we were able to organically process text-based abilities and maintain a fluid pace. Occasionally we’ll stop to double-check a lengthier description, but that’s about it.

So Morten’s categorical dismissal confuses, disappoints, and irks me. All of the above is 100 percent possible. I’m proof of that.

It’s possible, by the way, thanks to the following invaluable sheet of paste-ups, which I consulted for the first couple of games and keep on hand now just in case:

http://spotlightongames.com/rules/Image/kashgar-cards.pdf

And yeah, you can of course apply the paste-ups themselves to the cards.

To sum up, my main point is that if you watched Rahdo’s run-through of Kashgar, or MiWi’s run-through, and got excited by what you saw, please don’t let the maddening monolingualism of the game’s sole edition prevent you from investing in Kashgar. It’s a tremendously dynamic and original game and you’ll find a way to circumvent its language limitations, either via a small amount of memorization (again, keywords) or the above-linked paste-ups.

(Separately, it’s admittedly confounding that no English publisher ever picked it up. And this game could have been entirely iconographic, no sweat. As I’ve written elsewhere, if Grand Austria Hotel and Rococo can be language independent, then any game can be.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Minor Weaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
respect
And Morten, I didn’t mean to come down so hard on your reply, but I just don’t understand negative, offhand posts like yours, which are far too common on BGG.

A forum is a place where you approach others, including those you disagree with, with mutual respect, period. No exceptions. Respect needs to be the default. And so if you disagree in this case, and feel that it’s 100 percent not possible for anyone who doesn’t speak German to memorize Kashgar’s card text, then why not post something along the lines of:

“I remember that thread. Personally I disagree. I think you definitely need to know German. Let me explain why. In my experience…” and then describe why you’re skeptical of what I proposed.

To simply flat-out declare a person wrong, without backing up that categorical put-down, is not what debate is meant to be about, on BGG or anywhere else. I feel that quite strongly.

Respectfully, and with a hearty handshake,

Stefan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
No problem, Stefan. Sorry if my post offended you. Written words often look harder than meant. I used to speak German quite fluently but am rather rusty now and I had problems understanding some of it hence my post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Minor Weaver
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all good!
Thanks for the very cool reply, Morten. I appreciate it. It’s all good.

And hopefully, one day, some publisher (Z-Man?) will come along and publish pictographic or at least English editions of the three games in Gerhard Hecht’s excellent but language-dependent “Do You Speak German?” trilogy.

(Just ordered his Andor game, Chada & Thorn, and so it’s time to plug another batch of highly specific German vocabulary words into my brain. Maybe paste-ups this time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.