Subject: Macroorganism abilities and shielding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H3 wrote:
Easily missed rule: The red Trophic Bionts, Organs, and system chromosomes impart heat shielding per D5, and the green Trophic Bionts, Organs, and system chromosomes impart Antioxidant shielding per D6.

Question 1: Do Endosymbionts provide any shielding? (If not, they differ from Foreign Genes in this respect.)

Question 2: Do blue and yellow chromosomes give any abilities to a macro?
Can I reroll cancer dice using yellow chromosomes? Can I ignore cancer/drought atrophy using blue chromosomes?

I guess the answers are no and no.

EDIT: for future readers:
Q1 answer is: Yes, endosimbionts are considered chromosomes [see "chromosomes" in living Glossary].
Q2 answer is: Blue chromosomes do help with cancer atrophy [D8] but not with drought atrophy. There is no cancer reroll for yellow chromosomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Endosymbionts are present only in macroorganisms. Foreign genes are present only in Microorganism. So yes, they are different "things". Endosymbionts may grant some "powers" to Macro (printed on Macro card by endosymbiont slot). But nothing more (as i understand the rules - not chromosomes, not foreig genes...).
2. Yes they do. Either system chromosomes (pronted on card) or organs of given color can protect you from O2 spike attack or other stuff. As for cancer - you need specificaly organ/endosymbiont that grants you cancer shield ability. Yellow ones allow you to reroll darwin roll, not cancer or drought. Same goes for blue - they "work" against darwin roll.
Darwin roll is different thing that cancer or drought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
All wooden bits act as chromosomes no matter what type of organism they're in, in addition to any abilities the endosymbiont/organ gives. That is, each wooden cube and biont provide shielding, special effects during Darwin rolls (note that macroorganisms don't perform Darwin rolls, though), and green cubes/bionts allow you to assign more bionts to refugia. This includes endosymbionts and the trophic biont in macroorganisms.

Yellow rerolls only apply to Darwin rolls, but the rules specifically point out that blue chromosomes protect you from cancer.

The only protection from drought is the drought shield icon.

Edit: To quote the rules
Quote:
Chromosome (F3). A cube or Biont token on an Organism or its Mutations indicating genetically stored properties and shielding (D5, D6, G3) according to its color. Mutation cubes, Organs, Diseased cubes, Foreign Genes, and Trophic Bionts are all Chromosomes. The colored squares printed on a Macroorganism are special Chromosomes called system chromosomes.

This is missing endosymbionts, true, but see also under the Extremophile Crisis event
Quote:
red Chromosomes (i.e. red Organs, Endosymbionts, and Trophic Bionts)

and also the Jargon Map image on page 5 of the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

This is missing endosymbionts, true, but see also under the Extremophile Crisis event

I don't want to split hairs here but it appears that endosymbionts are included in the foreign gene category (see definition p32 of the living rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I mistakenly left "Endosymbionts" off of the list of Chromosomes in the glossary definition, and have added that word in the living rules.

My intention was that all wooden bits act as Chromosomes in an Organism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers.

As for the blues working against cancer, golden_cow2 is right, they do.

D8. Cancer wrote:
If the crab icon​ appears, then every Macroorganism must make a Cancer Roll​,
rolling one dice for each Organ and two dice for each Biont. Each ‘5’ or ‘6’ rolled will generate an error.
If the number of errors is greater than its error shield (i.e. the number of its blue Chromosomes),
then the Macroorganism suffers one Atrophy for each excess error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.