Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QQ If none of the Captains make it back to camp on the last turn, do you still calculate points for a winner or did everyone lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As near as I can tell, there's no reason to return the captain to the ship unless you've made it to zone 6. At which point if you're the first captain to get back to the ship, you get the medal for two points.

In other words, it's all about the score. The rules say something about the pack ice card means "the expedition must make haste to leave", but other than getting the medal, I don't see any reason that players would want to do anything other than push their flag as far up the board as they can. Am I missing something?

-Tom

EDIT: Oops, I'm totally missing something. You get 2 VPs for each explorer who makes it back to base camp! So there IS an incentive to get everyone, including your captain back to the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You calculate points, even if the Captain did not make it back to the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks. What is the Captains dead and lost the game card for then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott DeMers
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead captain = player eliminated = 0 points = no victory. If it happens to all players, then the elephant seals win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
ok thanks. What is the Captains dead and lost the game card for then?

Absolutely nothing: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1671333/glorious-death-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I am a bit confused... If a player's Captain is killed is that player eliminated? ...I assume yes. But then if none of the Captains make it back on the last turn, aren't they all killed and thus eliminated as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Playit Faster
Sweden
Stockholm
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A player whose captain is eliminated is out of the game for good. i.e no points are scored for that player.

For the rest they get 2 points/explorer in the homebase. If the captain is there its 2 points if not 0 points for the captain meeeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
So now I am a bit confused... If a player's Captain is killed is that player eliminated? ...I assume yes. But then if none of the Captains make it back on the last turn, aren't they all killed and thus eliminated as well?

Yes, if your captain is killed, you're eliminated from the game.

A captain that is not back at the ship at the end of the game is not automatically eliminated in the base game. The weather card might exhaust your captain, but only affects active zones, so will not kill your captain.

There is an official variant that was just released that would eliminate all exhausted explorers left in the cold, and can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139845/snowblind-race-pol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.