Hide
8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Skirmish Lite Expansion Pack Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warrick P
msg tools
So I've been playing IA exclusively as a Skirmish game for now with a friend as I continue to paint and add expansion packs. However, I read a very disconcerting post today (and then others) that say the newer packs are so overpowered they invalidate the older figures. I've only bought Wave 1 stuff so far but Leia looked like a good purchase (http://boardwars.eu/ally-and-villain-packs-for-star-wars-imp...) as did C3PO and Artoo.

So my question is, at what point does the new stuff overpower the old stuff? Basically I'd like to stop there. I'm not a competitive / tourney player so I want it to remain fun and I want to use the base set stuff. That said, I'd like a Rebel counter to the fact Darth Vader seems to single handedly win all Skirmish contests!

Your thoughts are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much that newer figures are overpowered, but a number of wave 1/2 unique figures are too costly. The names that routinely pop up in this conversation are Han, Chewbacca, Vader, IG-88, and Boba Fett.

Other wave 1/2 figures like Luke, rebel troopers, C-3PO, and stormtroopers still see play in competitive tournaments. Some wave 1 generics like Rebel Sabs, Royal Guards, and imperial officers were actually overpowered and were errata'd.

This actually happens in every wave, where you see some units are deemed overpowered, while others are considered underpowered. For that reason, it's hard to say, stop collecting at Wave X. If you're only playing casually, it shouldn't really matter anyway.

Ways to beat Vader - things that reduce his actions (like stun), lots of attacks (he'll eventually have bad rolls), and actions that do damage with no defense (cleave, grenadier, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warrick P
msg tools
The thought that Vader is too costly stuns me. He has been the bane of whichever one of us is playing the Rebels every single time. The Rebels have never won a skirmish, because even if we manage to kill off Vader we are so depleted by then. I came close once avoiding Vader but still couldn't pull out a win.

What are we doing wrong, especially if Vader is too costly?

(I realize I seem to be hijacking my own thread and would still like input on the original question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vader (18) is giving you too much trouble? You can counter him as Rebel with eSab (juicy pierce 4), Luke (reroll & pierce 3), Leia (double attack), and maybe Chewie (unblockable damage from Slam). Also figures with stun will totally shut him down unless he also takes 'Unshakable' from the Bespin expansion

I houseruled him to be 13 because I think he's not even close to being worth 18 points. My full list of houserules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The core figures are just too costly for Skirmish - they are priced for the campaign. The new figures are at the power levels of elite Stormtroopers and elite Probe Droids, the new benchmarks to avoid power creep but make new figures viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fattimiei
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrick, this is what happened in my group, since we bought new figures the first wave unique miniatures stop hitting the table. I know they where already not as strong as troopers unit, but sometimes you need a tough guy, sometimes in a corridor you can't shoot with 9 troopers.. But since you can choose the new bossk is there any reason to take Ig88 at 4 points more? Since you have the rep.tank your at-st will take the dust, same with obi wan for the rebels and so on..
That said I would still suggest you the new miniatures If you accept to houserule the game with a decrease in points for the oldest, since designers haven't fixed this yet. (this is what I'm actually testing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Btw, you can gleam from their interviews that the designers have not forgotten about the core figures and they have implied that something will be done about their viability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warrick P
msg tools
Okay, thanks all. I'm still so far behind the current waves maybe I'll just not ask the wife to pick anything up this Christmas and by my birthday they'll have sorted something out.

Maybe by then Darth will not be such a PITA! Once that happens I think THEN I'll lower his cost and the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.