Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
67 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: POLL: For those who expect others to pay for your games that they've ruined.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: when your games get ruined due to others' fault
Poll originally appeared here....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24214733#24214733

I'd like to get more responses to the thread question, as opposed to hearing their policies allowing drinks, etc.
1. For the folks who ruined your games due to drink spills, food, etc., do they know how expensive they are?
Yes
No
2. Do they know how expensive the games are?
Do they end up paying the cost to replace it?
  They do pay for it They don't
They know of its actual cost
They do not know
      11 answers
Poll created by ackmondual

.... due to food and drinks, mishandling, etc...
Do they know how expensive the games are?

I don't disagree with what BGG posters saying "If I damage somebody's possessions/property, I would pay for it. I expect others do the same.". However, I hear this conflict often occurs when you people are told somebody's game that they ruined costs $70, but he thought it was as cheap as some $20 mass market game.

When you see drinks or food at the table, has anyone ever brought up that you'd rather not take the risk that components get damaged because the game itself was $50 to $100? If so, did it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: For those who expect others to pay for your games that they've ruined....
ackmondual wrote:

I don't disagree with what BGG posters saying "If I damage somebody's possessions/property, I would pay for it. I expect others do the same.". However, I hear this conflict often occurs when you people are told somebody's game that they ruined costs $70, but he thought it was as cheap as some $20 mass market game.

When you see drinks or food at the table, has anyone ever brought up that you'd rather not take the risk that components get damaged because the game itself was $50 to $100? If so, did it work?

I've never actually had this situation, most of the people I play and share my games with are professionals, and are personal friends, so financial responsibility isn't an issue, and they understand the cost/value of the games..

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work? Its your game/property, and if they don't agree with how you want to care for it, then they shouldn't be playing with it. end of story....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I mostly play with adults so this never comes up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean, I was in an art gallery yesterday and there was a table. It looked like a decently nice side table, I don't know if I would go any further with my adjectives than that. But if you leave your sweaty drink on it, I don't think they'll care whether or not you think it's a $2400 table, because it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I've seen someone put a paper plate with potato chips on it inside an OOP game box. Not my game, but I've asked them kindly to respect the game box.

I've had a game spilled on and I gave them a discount.

I've seen someone spill a full beer into Kingsburg. Cardboard really soaks that stuff up!

I don't like to ruin the atmosphere, and accidents happen, so I don't make an issue out of most things. I'd rather play with people than sit by myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing that makes me tell the guests not to have drinks at the table isn't that the games cost so much at 70-100% MSRP, it's that the supply chain problems in this hobby are so bad that there's a reasonably good chance I can't replace something for less than 400% MSRP and have it be in worse shape than mine was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mention that the game is expensive when it is expensive. I also mention when a game is hard to replace when it is hard to replace - some games just can't be found. People seem to get the hint and are suitably paranoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Lotsa drama. Telenova-script writing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. As echoed above. I play with adults.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with a $70 game, if someone damaged it, I would not expect any sort of compensation other than an apology.

What I care more about is that people who borrow a game actually do a reasonable job of putting it away. Failing to do that is much more common that actual damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing with people who are not hobbyists, I explain the no food or drink rule first thing.

I tell an anecdote about a guy who pooh-poohed the rule by saying "We're all adults here," and then spilled his drink on the game within the next 5 minutes. So the rule is there to protect them from the embarrassment of looking like that guy as much as to protect my game.

Once I tell the story, nobody wants to be "that guy." True story, but thankfully it was not my game on the table.

I agree with OP that most non-hobbyists would not realize that a lot of REAL games cannot be replaced for a mere $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only break out the good games when the room is cretin-free. Come to think of it, I have the same policy for beer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
95% of the people I play with are also adult gamers and understand the cost of games but I have never found it difficult to request someone puts a drink on the floor or a side table to prevent an accident from occurring. I don't recall ever getting push back about it either.

At home, if I see a drink on the table, I scurry to the closet to grab a TV tray table and set it up beside them. Like magic, the drink appears on table without having said a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
We have food and drinks all over the place, along with multiple table obstacles (some people in the house call them "decorations"). There are usually several children and/or animals running around in what must be an intentionally non-careful way. We bring games on trips and to restaurants.

Even with all that, out of hundreds of games and thousands of plays we've only had three accidents...and two were due to the same cat. I'm a little picky about checking for crumbs or liquid before the game pieces come out but beyond that I can't see the spill situation (outside of drunk adults) ever really being a problem. If a friend did spill on a game, I wouldn't ask them to pay but I imagine they would want to.

I am suing that cat for the damage to the two games though. I'm taking that case all the way to the Supreme Court if I lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Oh, yes, I have spoken up. In general we have a "No drinks at the game table" rule, but there have been some small spills over time. Of course, I'm too nice to actually make someone replace a game... unless they were outright careless, then I'd hold them to it. Thankfully, none of our games have been ruined to a point where they are unplayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I basically tell people that I have a lot of Kickstarter games that cannot be replaced and other games that are expensive. So to avoid anyone needing to replace anything, I prefer not to have certain kinds of food or drink near my games.

When I am host, I control the environment. If we need to eat a solid meal, I always suggest we do that separately from playing. We use this time to catch up, chat, and decide what we want to play next. Besides, every time we've tried to play anything while eating a meal, each player's turn ends up taking forever so we might as well wait. Then, while playing we use coasters, keep drinks way out of the way of arms/game components, have non-greasy snacks only if people get hungry, etc. We know who the particularly klutzy people are (they know who they are too) so if needed, we set up side tables or provide drinks that are in sealed containers.

I handle all this in a really chill way and all my friends are chill about it as well. They don't want to pay to replace them and neither do I so we do what we can to avoid needing to worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only suffered one spill (on Five Tribes, but it missed almost everything paper except for a few goods cards, and mostly hit wooden cameeples) but I generally don't ask people to keep drinks off the table. For one, our dining room doesn't have room for auxiliary tables, and for two, we're generally only drinking water anyways, so I feel like it's easier to deal with if a spill does happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and most of us are there to game anyway. Eating/Drinking is only an afterthought and typically only when it is needed. Eating lots of food and drinking lots of beverages the whole time is what a party is for. If we are doing that, we tend to play easily replaceable, cheap, and simple games (if any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always have drinks and snacks at the table.. I have no problem with it.
We have had a couple of spillages but the games cleaned up fine. I do tend to sleeve cards tho. The bigger problem is my dog who will eat anything that hits the floor.. still I would not change anything. It's the time spent with friends (and my dog!) that's important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess for me, part of it was learning how to let go. I grew up poor so I was always the kid that saved my stuff for a fictional future special occasion that never came and then the stuff would just rot from neglect or I would outgrow it. I've ruined people's stuff and people have ruined my stuff, oh well it's just stuff. That said, I do have a few game ruination mitigation strategies. First I try not to buy super expensive games and try to get them either thrift or mega sale. I only have a few truly rare and irreplaceable things, mostly Rio Grande or spielbox Carcassonne expansions. Those never come out to play, ever. The rest, whatever it won't break my heart. Stuff is meant to fulfill its purpose in life; games were meant to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
95% of the people I play with are also adult gamers and understand the cost of games but I have never found it difficult to request someone puts a drink on the floor or a side table to prevent an accident from occurring. I don't recall ever getting push back about it either.

At home, if I see a drink on the table, I scurry to the closet to grab a TV tray table and set it up beside them. Like magic, the drink appears on table without having said a word.

I do this exact same thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
In general we have a "No drinks at the game table" rule

I fully agree with this.

It stinks when somebody ruins your expensive drink by accidentally dropping a cheap game component in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting reads! I've also only played with adults the vast majority of the time, but I still see stuff get damaged (never on purpose AFAI can tell).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squidd wrote:
I mean, I was in an art gallery yesterday and there was a table. It looked like a decently nice side table, I don't know if I would go any further with my adjectives than that. But if you leave your sweaty drink on it, I don't think they'll care whether or not you think it's a $2400 table, because it is.

So if your $50 to $300 game (with expansions) gets damaged, you expect the person to spend somewhere around that money to replace the damaged goods... nobody's arguing that. They scoff saying they thought it only costs $20 to replace the whole lot, and won't pay it. THAT's the heart of the matter.

Actually, like with the art table, I'm sure you could just take that person to small claims court, so I digress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a weird way of making friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.