5 Posts

The Walking Dead: All Out War» Forums » General

Subject: Help Needed on Days Gone Bye Solo Quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Sutherland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Can anyone tell me if I'm playing the first two solo quests in the Days Gone Bye expansion correctly as I'm finding them way too easy!

The concern comes with the Event Cards. When I draw 'Alarm' I pick a car and, following the Mayhem rules, all walkers within 10 inches move towards it. I'm obviously going to choose the car furthest away from my characters which tends to leave me with a clear side of the board to move through.

Whenever I pick an event card that needs walkers to be added to the board, as a solo player, I can pick which edge of the board, so again I'm obviously going to pick the edge that causes me less grief.

In the first quest I have used Rick with Patrick and Sandra (not having Duane or Morgan yet) giving Rick the crowbar for the bludgeoning effect (a total of 98 points) So far I haven't been tested

For the second quest I used Rick with Rick's hatchet (65 points) In both cases I found that by using my two actions of moving and holding my nerve to reduce the threat it was more than enough to finish each quest quickly and simply.

I've since taken to randomising the event actions by throwing a D4 to determine which car to have the alarm go off in, a D4 to pick the side of the board each walker will enter from, and a D20 to pick where exactly on that side of the board it will enter. I've also chosen to roll a red dice when searching a car (before picking the supply card) and on a **! a lurker attacks. This has made it a bit more challenging, but not a lot!

Anyone else having similar problems? It just seems odd that as 5 of the 6 quests in this expansion are solo quests they seem far too easy and I worry I'm missing something! Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found them Easy too.
It gets harder later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Sutherland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's good to know!

I read somewhere that the new expansion 'Road to Woodbury' was just solo scenarios and had event cards especially for solo play, so maybe they will be more helpful for the first couple of scenarios here.

Now to try scenario 3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DaveB
United Kingdom
Durham
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts after my plays.

At the start of the main rules, it says add 1 threat every turn when playing solo. Wasn't sure if that applies to the scenarios?

The car alarm saved my survivors too, particularly as I forgot to add 1 threat each turn it causes mayhem. (Prior to that two searches - booby trap & a lurker with subsequent bite).

Try it with a child subbed for Duane - Sophia or Carl?

Take out the alarm card? Later scenarios say take it out and add forest etc.- all which threw me as I just played with all the event cards in? Is there a card list of what the basic pack should be?

But barring bad luck, the alarm does seem to make it too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Sutherland
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had added the extra threat at the beginning of the turn, but not each time the alarm went off!

I've also tried it with just Rick and Carl, but that didn't make any difference. If each character just moves and then uses 'hold your nerve' as the second action, there is a 50:50 chance each roll that the threat will be reduced. With Rick automatically reducing it each time he has a spare action (Tactician ability) and the other characters with a good chance, it can be easy to keep the threat down.

I'll see how the new event cards in the Prelude to Woodbury expansion work out, but in the meantime a few new house rules will help 'up' the difficulty. Even raising the threat by 2 each time could be interesting!

As Sacha mentioned above the other scenarios do get harder and I've still to try them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.