Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

The Pillars of the Earth» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The money to points craftsmen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone made good effect of the money to points craftsmen? To use the last round one fully, you would need about 24 extra gold lying around. We're all usually around 10 or less gold a piece when we get there. Has anyone been successful setting up for this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Granted this was our first game (and was 2-player), but my 10-year-old son ended up with 19 gold in the final round, and used that guy for 6 VP (and the win).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
Has anyone made good effect of the money to points craftsmen? ... Has anyone been successful setting up for this?

Yes, sell your unused metal for 5 gold each at the market (as well as any other underutilized resources). Also, the Master Woodworker ["transform 1 wood into 4 gold" (x2)] from the 1st turn is quite useful to keep on retainer just for this purpose.

But that's just what I've done.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
Yes, sell your unused metal for 5 gold each at the market (as well as any other underutilized resources). Also, the Master Woodworker ["transform 1 wood into 4 gold" (x2)] from the 1st turn is quite useful to keep on retainer just for this purpose.

Saw this in my first few games as well. And with great succes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I translated 21 gold on the second last turn and coulda gone with all 24. Won very nicely I might add.
Master Woodworker may be a bit overpowered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Vit
Czech Republic
Zabcice
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it with Master Woodworker as well (traded 24 gold for 8 points). Still, I was short 3 points to win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel is a corrective or "skill-testing" craftsman. The gold/builder placement used to purchase the craftsman alone would probably be better spent elsewhere.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In the final round of the last game I played, I had nothing that consumed wood, I had most of the resources I needed to power what craftsmen I did have, and I had the money guy.

I wasn't into wood, but every wood I picked up was a VP if I could sell at the market. So I managed to pick up 6 wood, and turned it into gold at the market and VP at the building time. I won by 2 points.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironically, since my last post, I have done exactly what you stated: selling wood for gold and cranking out the points. I had the weaker one that "only" performs 6x and it was still worth it. I ended up winning by a single point (it feels like every game has a point spread of about 5 points). I still feel that the gold would have been better spent if I had picked him up early in the game. I picked him up in the 5th round. I was losing and couldn't see any way to win since I had made poor choices in craftsman. This guy brought me back from the dead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Zukerman
United States
Rockville Centre
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladislaus wrote:
elcomadreja2 wrote:
Has anyone made good effect of the money to points craftsmen? ... Has anyone been successful setting up for this?

Yes, sell your unused metal for 5 gold each at the market (as well as any other underutilized resources). Also, the Master Woodworker ["transform 1 wood into 4 gold" (x2)] from the 1st turn is quite useful to keep on retainer just for this purpose.

But that's just what I've done.


I want to bring this one up. The combination of this card with the Master woodworker who turns wood into money, according to my friend, is an unbeatable combination. If we try to deny him access to wood, he just runs over to the market, sells his metal and then buys all the wood up. If not that, then the stone.

Has anyone else seen this be an issue? It's so much so, that we've thought of tweaking the master woodworker to requiring two wood. Or only use once per turn.

Thought?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thies Kolln
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the original question: the money-to-points craftsman is, as mentioned by other a legitimate option, but a few of the following things probably have to go right. Either, as previously mentioned, you need the wood-to-gold guy, or you need to accumulate some excess metal (the everyone gets 2 metal event is really helps). I've also found that you really need to pick this craftsman up on a free or very cheap master builder placement -- otherwise you're giving up 2+ of the VPs you would gain just to pay the purchase price. So this is an opportunistic buy for me. I won't gun for him like I will for the potters and sculptors, but if a couple of events line up right I'll use him.

To zooks: I've heard the wood-to-gold craftsman is overpowered opinion elsewhere here, and I had my suspicions initially, but with more plays I've changed my mind. The other players do need to try and starve that player of wood. And never, ever let that player get Aliena in the first few rounds. If the other players are somewhat successful at restricting access to wood, this craftsman's ability is really limited. Buying wood at the market isn't really an option to feed this craftsman because then you're using a master builder to net you a max of 2 gold per round, which is incredibly inefficient. Also keep in mind that while he does keep you more comfortable with cash, he isn't directly producing VPs and he is taking up one of your 5 craftsman spaces. Lastly, the problem I see with your proposed modifications is that they really make this craftsman not worth getting -- especially requiring 2 wood to generate 4 gold, which is significantly worse than selling wood at the market. You might as well just take that card out of the deck at that point, which I suppose you could do if you get the expansion which will get you some more craftsmen.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Zukerman
United States
Rockville Centre
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thies wrote:
To zooks: I've heard the wood-to-gold craftsman is overpowered opinion elsewhere here, and I had my suspicions initially, but with more plays I've changed my mind. The other players do need to try and starve that player of wood. And never, ever let that player get Aliena in the first few rounds. If the other players are somewhat successful at restricting access to wood, this craftsman's ability is really limited. Buying wood at the market isn't really an option to feed this craftsman because then you're using a master builder to net you a max of 2 gold per round, which is incredibly inefficient. Also keep in mind that while he does keep you more comfortable with cash, he isn't directly producing VPs and he is taking up one of your 5 craftsman spaces. Lastly, the problem I see with your proposed modifications is that they really make this craftsman not worth getting -- especially requiring 2 wood to generate 4 gold, which is significantly worse than selling wood at the market. You might as well just take that card out of the deck at that point, which I suppose you could do if you get the expansion which will get you some more craftsmen.

Outstanding response and thank you Thies. You're right on the 2 wood for 4 gold. I guess the issue is that we don't look far enough ahead to block that strategy. We'll have to be more diligent.

On the expansion, I noticed that it's here and available to print. My problem is getting the correct cardstock to print it on. That, of course, would solve the problem entirely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Norgren
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
The gold converter is literally just an equalizer insurance plan, with slightly less efficiency. Like one post noted, selling metal for 5 and turning to VP is nearly as efficient as the 1 metal to 2 VP x2 card in the final round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls