Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HISTORIAns,

While I've been playing the game since it's arrival nearly two years ago, and have clocked nearly 100 games, there were a couple rules which weren't particularly clear, a few we awaited awhile for a response from Marco, and a few others I probably got wrong. I was happy to see a recent response by Ricky on the issue surrounding when a CivBot would expand into a neighboring territory and the clarified definition of "available."

Anyway, having reviewed most of the Rules related questions, I hadn't seen them as issues, but I'm starting to question Set-up and play regarding CivBots.

Currently, my games are 2-player/4 CivBot experiences. The way we've played is as follows:

1. Determine first player between the two human "players"
2. If the CivBot colors are Red (Prince), Yellow (Prince), Green (Chieftain), and Blue (Chieftain), Red places a cube on the highest VP territory, with each subsequent color grabbing the next lowest one. I follow the CivBots and my girlfriend as the 1st player takes the lowest.
3. We resolve our Action cards, followed by the CivBots in the initial order

Subsequent turns are determined by the VP track, first for my girlfriend and me and then based on where each CivBot is located (not their Level) on the VP Track.

Please let me know if you play differently...

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the rules it states (in the setup section):
Quote:
11. Following the Turn order, each player puts one Power cube (from their remaining 3) on an empty territory of the map.

And in the Civbot section:
Quote:
Place them in empty territories, starting with the highest territory number.
Example: Let assume that the highest Territory tokens are 16, 14 and 13. In a 4 player game, the 2 Civbots will start in territories 16 and 14. If territory 14 is occupied, the Civbots will start in territories 16 and 13.

Since the civbots always go after the players, they should place their territory cubes after the players and always play into the highest numbered tile available.

Having said that, I think I only started playing this way recently, after another thread discussing this point was brought up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

Thanks for the response!

I think part of the confusion is that if the CivBots follow the players, even in setup according to your (and maybe others' interpretation), a CivBot can never occupy the territory with the territory marked 16 as it's the highest available. In a two player game, the highest VP valued territory that a CivBot could ever possess is 14, if available.

If that's the case, that's much easier than I thought.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Professor wrote:
I think part of the confusion is that if the CivBots follow the players, even in setup according to your (and maybe others' interpretation), a CivBot can never occupy the territory with the territory marked 16 as it's the highest available. In a two player game, the highest VP valued territory that a CivBot could ever possess is 14, if available.

I'm not sure I quite grasp what you're getting at. A civbot could only not occupy territory 16 if a human player had first picked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon,

Thank you...until you wrote that, it hadn't clicked...now it makes sense. surprise For some reason, I didn't make the connection. First, all of the humans select their location. cool Second, then each of the CivBots, in-turn select a territory. I have managed to get that wrong for two years. Seriously, thank you!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.