Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to ask a specific question on the general forum, but it seems that the game series forums don't see a lot of traffic.

With the availability of a VASSAL module, I am looking to buy back into this system. I believe there are various editions out there since the DG site has them all tagged "(New Reprinted Edition!) ", how does one tell them apart?

Further are the differences worth worrying about in the first place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for the ones with 2012 copyright date, if you are able to get your hand on the box (or are talking with a potential seller).

Since the latest rules are easily downloaded from the site, there isn't all that much of a difference between the versions. I ended up rebuying anyhow in order to replace my counters. I hated the side nibs that some of the first editions had. There were also a few cosmetic changes to some of the German counters to indicate regional units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
As far as I remember, the single one with side nibs was the earlier version of West Front 1914-18. The earlier games were published without side nibs. DG switched printer for this game without telling Dave Schroeder. All later games reverted to corner nibs.

The later West Front edition also added coloured symbols to show which German state a unit came from (no effect on play), and dropped the WW2 borders from the map.

I'm not aware that any of the other games (East, Italian, Ottoman Front) actually had changed editions.

Quote:
the game series forums don't see a lot of traffic.

Most of the traffic is on CSW with the designer in attendance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
As far as I remember, the single one with side nibs was the earlier version of West Front 1914-18. The earlier games were published without side nibs. DG switched printer for this game without telling Dave Schroeder. All later games reverted to corner nibs.

Italy had the side nibs, too. Brusilov had them to a lesser degree, as well (just top and bottom, rather than all four sides). Western Front did have them, but the counters in that game were even more annoying because they were the ultra-thin material that DG used for a couple months, and were not uniformly cut (War Between the States also had these problems, as I recall).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
AFAIK another significant difference was early edition maps having distracting markings for some planned WW2 games as well, while the later editions are more sensibly marked only for WW1. (Right?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, the new maps have only the WW1 markings.

I don't agree that that the original maps were not "sensible", the WW2 markings were actually quite a sales argument when the series came out as they indicated you'd get more use out of the components. However after 20 years, the WW2 games have to printed with maps anyway, it's unlikely that you'll save much money that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Yes, the new maps have only the WW1 markings.

I don't agree that that the original maps were not "sensible", the WW2 markings were actually quite a sales argument when the series came out as they indicated you'd get more use out of the components. However after 20 years, the WW2 games have to printed with maps anyway, it's unlikely that you'll save much money that way.

I used to own the Western Front game and sold it because of lack of local opponents. This was either before the VASSAL module, or possibly before I knew about it because of how hard it was to find on the modules page. I thought the system itself showed promise.

I found the WW2 markings to be not sensible. You allude to why. Even if the WW2 games came out, by the time I have to replace basically every other component anyhow, the ability to re-use the maps wasn't worth the hassle/clutter. That said, maybe if I owned the Eastern Front game I'd have a different opinion because of the larger area covered equating to more maps and therefore more savings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
Look for the ones with 2012 copyright date, if you are able to get your hand on the box (or are talking with a potential seller).

Is it someplace obvious on the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
patton1138 wrote:

Back cover, bottom left, under the SPW halftrack logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
keethrax wrote:
patton1138 wrote:

Back cover, bottom left, under the SPW halftrack logo.

Thanks. Now I can include "directions" when I ask someone to check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the Eastern Front and re-bought the Western Front. Am looking forward to diving back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.