Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I just thought those of like minds needed to know about this. Please share with others.

A petition from the world to Donald Trump at
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/president_trump_letter_...

that reads:

"Dear Mr. Trump,

This is not what greatness looks like.

The world rejects your fear, hate-mongering, and bigotry. We reject your support for torture, your calls for murdering civilians, and your general encouragement of violence. We reject your denigration of women, Muslims, Mexicans, and millions of others who don’t look like you, talk like you, or pray to the same god as you.

Facing your fear we choose compassion. Hearing your despair we choose hope. Seeing your ignorance we choose understanding.

As citizens of the world, we stand united against your brand of division.

Sincerely,
[Add your name!] "

The page refreshes on the fly as people sign the petition. First feeling of hope I've had since election night as I see each name, from individuals in Ukraine to Russia to Costa Rica to Brazi to the United States sign the petition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
The whole world? Whoa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximum slacktivism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

What do you intend to do to oppose Trump's policies? Well, I signed an internet petition and I post Trump memes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

As a former paid activist (oh no!), I agree on one level. The internet made a lot of people lazy and the powerful benefited. That said, no one outside the US can do anything about our election and yet it effects them personally. It doesn't matter to us that much who leads Mexico, Estonia or Ukraine. But it matters a whole to them who leads us. So they've got to do *something* even if it's just a petition. It at least puts the dick wad on notice if enough people sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

What do you intend to do to oppose Trump's policies? Well, I signed an internet petition and I post Trump memes.

When I was the director of a statewide nonprofit it was my job to recruit volunteers to do things. Much of the work was symbolic. They could write a letter to their member of Congress . . . but that member already opposed our position and it wouldn't do anything. We could protest in streets, but who does that convince? We lobbied members of Congress down in DC, but that didn't do anything either - and I personally visited over 50 offices in DC back then so I know.

The biggest obstacle to recruiting people, beyond the feelings of cynicism and futility, was time. People have lives. They have families to provide for.

If all someone can do is sign a petition then why would you dismiss that?

If you're going to challenge this petition I'd like to know what you could suggest to people outside the US. They should remain silent? And what would you suggest people inside the US do? There isn't much that can be done until the next Congressional races in 2 years. Seems to me you're advocating doing nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
travvller wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

As a former paid activist (oh no!), I agree on one level. The internet made a lot of people lazy and the powerful benefited. That said, no one outside the US can do anything about our election and yet it effects them personally. It doesn't matter to us that much who leads Mexico, Estonia or Ukraine. But it matters a whole to them who leads us. So they've got to do *something* even if it's just a petition. It at least puts the dick wad on notice if enough people sign.

It does zip. It makes them feel (falsely) like they did something. If anyone truly wants to do something, they will inform themselves about the issues, donate to organizations that help people affected, and/or volunteer time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
travvller wrote:
she2 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

When I was the director of a statewide nonprofit it was my job to recruit volunteers to do things. Much of the work was symbolic. They could write a letter to their member of Congress . . . but that member already opposed our position and it wouldn't do anything. We could protest in streets, but who does that convince? We lobbied members of Congress down in DC, but that didn't do anything either - and I personally visited over 50 offices in DC back then so I know.

The biggest obstacle to recruiting people, beyond the feelings of cynicism and futility, was time. People have lives. They have families to provide for.

If all someone can do is sign a petition then why would you dismiss that?

If you're going to challenge this petition I'd like to know what you could suggest to people outside the US. They should remain silent? And what would you suggest people inside the US do? There isn't much that can be done until the next Congressional races in 2 years. Seems to me you're advocating doing nothing.

It stops a lot of people from doing more. Sure, some don't have time or money to donate. A bunch more do and do nothing because ill-advised fake petitions on stupid sites like change.org. It validates the slacktivists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to nurse this thread and respond to all sorts of comments negating the petition, especially from people who already dislike Trump.

The very reason I struggle financially now as I head towards age 50 is because I've already gave my prime earning years to political activism. As a witness of the sanctions caused genocide in Iraq and a former soldier I was motivated 24/7 to fight both the Clinton and Bush W administration's propaganda and murder of the innocent. I gave more than I could afford to give. I risked jail time by delivering medicine to Iraqi hospitals in violation of US law.

I'm not going to waste my time defending a petition after all that. Take it or leave it. I just thought I'd share so that people could spread the word. Or not. Whatever. I'm not going to be preached to about slacktivism after all I've been through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Maximum slacktivism.

Most likely it'll be used to determine which countries need to be added to the immigration 'ban hammer' list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
travvller wrote:
I'm not going to nurse this thread and respond to all sorts of comments negating the petition, especially from people who already dislike Trump.

The very reason I struggle financially now as I head towards age 50 is because I've already gave my prime earning years to political activism. As a witness of the sanctions caused genocide in Iraq and a former soldier I was motivated 24/7 to fight both the Clinton and Bush W administration's propaganda and murder of the innocent. I gave more than I could afford to give. I risked jail time by delivering medicine to Iraqi hospitals in violation of US law.

I'm not going to waste my time defending a petition after all that. Take it or leave it. I just thought I'd share so that people could spread the word. Or not. Whatever. I'm not going to be preached to about slacktivism after all I've been through.

There's no need to take this personally. It certainly wasn't a reflection on you as I could hardly know your personal backstory. I also am hardly a Trump supporter. Quite the opposite. I am personally a bit tired of many people who will at most complain on the internet, but never do anything beyond that. Frankly, my inbox tends to be flooded by change.org petitions on a daily basis. For very select issues, they might be useful in raising awareness about an issue that most are not aware of. For something like this, I don't see it as at all effective. The whole world is pretty much aware of Donald Trump's statements and policies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:

Thank you for your efforts.

A lot of the Millennials stayed at home on election day and now want to sign a petition... they should have fucking voted and help make sure their friends voted too. I understand why they'd sign this but prevention is worth a pound of cure. People oversea have little recourse, but if the election taught us anything is that Trump wont care what they think.

I'm hoping this election has open some eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
travvller wrote:

If you did this, then much respect. And more people need to emulate your actions. I understand that people have lives -- I have a life too -- but if a person is serious about affecting change, then that person has to make room in their life for those efforts.

The soldiers who fought in the Revolution had lives, too, but they put their ass on the line for something larger than themselves. The civil rights workers and marchers in the 1950s and 1960s put themselves at risk for something they believed it. That's why I refuse to denigrate the people who marched in Black Lives Matter or anti-Trump or Pro-Life or Pro-Gun demonstrations. Agree or disagree, they at least got off their comfortable, fat, lazy asses and actually did something besides bitch about it.

Petitions like this? Pfft. Want to make an actual impression on a politician? Write your own letter, not use a form letter. That does get more attention. And I mean a letter, not some mindless 140-character tweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trump's far too busy conquering worlds to be reading petitions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Sarxis wrote:
Trump's far too busy conquering worlds to be reading petitions:

Get therapy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Sue. Get out and organize or donate to a cause that will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablito A
msg tools
travvller wrote:
I just thought those of like minds needed to know about this. Please share with others.

A petition from the world to Donald Trump at
https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/president_trump_letter_...

that reads:

"Dear Mr. Trump,

This is not what greatness looks like.

The world rejects your fear, hate-mongering, and bigotry. We reject your support for torture, your calls for murdering civilians, and your general encouragement of violence. We reject your denigration of women, Muslims, Mexicans, and millions of others who don’t look like you, talk like you, or pray to the same god as you.

Facing your fear we choose compassion. Hearing your despair we choose hope. Seeing your ignorance we choose understanding.

As citizens of the world, we stand united against your brand of division.

Sincerely,
[Add your name!] "

The page refreshes on the fly as people sign the petition. First feeling of hope I've had since election night as I see each name, from individuals in Ukraine to Russia to Costa Rica to Brazi to the United States sign the petition.

Seems a bit silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Petition from the world to Donald Trump

Why not skip the petition thing and just get the final results from the spokesperson for "The World". He was posting in this very forum a few days ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.