Star Wars: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New Player Overwhelmed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I recently decided to give this a try and made a few purchases. I didn't go ALL in, just mostly with 2 cores, 2 EoD, and 1 each of the other deluxe expansions. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of cards and not sure where to start.

Is there a list somewhere of good starter decks for each faction using only the base/deluxe expansions? Or should I just start picking what looks cool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check out deck lists from tournaments. Strong deck lists have strong synergies, and the presence of these synergies tend to make these better deck easier to both play and learn with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Navy, Jedi, and Scum focus on using cards from the deluxe expansions. For Smugglers go with Han, Chewie, Falcon, and then whatever other cool character pods you like. Build a Rebel vehicle deck focused deck with what you have. For Sith, you have good options available, core set Vader palatine, and council of the sith are a great start, you can supplement from there with the deluxe expansion.

And go with 2x whatever pods you choose to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Love
United States
Clarkston
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check out this site:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwars/star-wars-card-...

It has spoilers for all the cards currently available.

The cool thing about Star Wars is that the main characters are really the main power players. So generally you can choose your favorite characters and just get packs that have them. Generally, using a 2-faction deck will give you great options especially if you are using main characters.
Remember though when using 2-faction decks, to give your main affiliation 4 objectives, and your "secondary" affiliation 6 objectives. That way you are sure to get both affiliation resources on your opening hand. The problem with using only deluxe/cores is that some factions are grossly neglected, especially Smugglers. I would suggest, after some plays, you get a few force packs, as they will give you more specific deck archetypes.

In a personal top 5 "best packs" to get for beginners, aside from 2 Core and 2 Edge of Darkness, I would get:
-Lure of the Dark Side (Mara Jade, Dash Rendar, Crix, 4-LOM, and Star Destroyers)
-Ancient Rival (Asoka, Han+Chewie, Vader, Sabine, Dengar)
-Redemption and Return (very thematic Luke and Palpatine sets)
-It Binds All Things (Leia, Wookies/Lowrick, IG-88)
-Attack Run (If you like pilot versions of Vader, Luke, and Fett)

Optional:: Join Us Or Die (optional because Yoda is THE reason to get this set and is arguably one of the best units in the game. Not the best option if you're just starting out because Jedi would be pretty over powered if you include him)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started in the middle of the 2nd cycle, I was also very overwhelmed, showed up to play at a game store and lost so badly that I landed no damage on my opponents. I found the top decklists and practiced against myself with over and over until I understood what worked and why. Since I spread myself thin and don't have the time (or imagination probably), I find myself doing this with a few games or at least at first to shorten the learning curve. I am not netdecking, per se, but I'm using that resource to understand the game better. When it comes down to it, tournaments and whatnot, I still build my own decks.

This search should be helpful to you and I think will cover the cards that you currently own.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=star+wa...

Organizing things in a manner you prefer helps too. Some use binders some use card boxes and here is my shameless plug for dividers I make horizontal vertical or vertical xl.

Good luck and may the force be with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
ryno80 wrote:
When I started in the middle of the 2nd cycle, I was also very overwhelmed, showed up to play at a game store and lost so badly that I landed no damage on my opponents. I found the top decklists and practiced against myself with over and over until I understood what worked and why. Since I spread myself thin and don't have the time (or imagination probably), I find myself doing this with a few games or at least at first to shorten the learning curve. I am not netdecking, per se, but I'm using that resource to understand the game better. When it comes down to it, tournaments and whatnot, I still build my own decks.

This search should be helpful to you and I think will cover the cards that you currently own.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=star+wa...

Organizing things in a manner you prefer helps too. Some use binders some use card boxes and here is my shameless plug for dividers I make horizontal vertical or vertical xl.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

Had your dividers printed, cut and ready before the cards ever showed up. Thanks for those. I put them all in the artist sketch case with a go7gaming insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryno80 wrote:

I consider myself to be quite capable of cutting things but how on earth did you achieve such neat cuts?? Your cards seem to be laminated, too (or made of really thick paper), did you cut them by hand? Please say no...

Great photo, btw!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krayden006 wrote:
I recently decided to give this a try and made a few purchases. I didn't go ALL in, just mostly with 2 cores, 2 EoD, and 1 each of the other deluxe expansions. Now I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of cards and not sure where to start.

Is there a list somewhere of good starter decks for each faction using only the base/deluxe expansions? Or should I just start picking what looks cool?

Yes, it can be overwhelming with that size of a card pool. I think starting with the starter decks in the core for a few games isn't a bad idea at all. Don't worry about winning or losing, just worry about learning mechanics.

Next, try the decks in this thread: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17060-6-st...

To this day, playing with those starter decks in that thread is still one of my favorite ways to play this game.

After you've tried those starter decks, start exploring the other deluxe expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krayden006 wrote:

1. Only play with the core sets and EoD until you're more comfortable.
2. Stick to mono-faction decks. Don't mix factions.
3. Always play with 2 of each objective set. You only need to pick 5 different objective sets to form a complete deck.
4. Choose objective sets that jive thematically. The game usually rewards thematic combinations of objective sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Messick
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designedbyryno.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a laser guided paper cutter to cut these out on 110lb cardstock http://a.co/dKHMjdy. It sounds super fancy and expensive, but it's not really, well, I guess it's kind of expensive but soooo worth it for this and many other projects http://a.co/3QmFpMw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.