Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a bunch of the cards that we NEVER use; mostly, WAY too costly to use for the benefit given.
- Mint, pricy knights, gold fleet (more valuable in expansions). Aquaducts are pricy too.
- in the expansions, WHY build a University? By the time you get there, the game is practically over, given the prerequisites for the University (City + Abbey or Library, if I recall).

If the Mint were a VICTORY point vs. a mere Commerce point for a cost of 6 resources, then we MIGHT use it. But too rich otherwise. We seldom have overflowing gold piles anyhow, since we recycle it when looking in the piles

Others opinions on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Errors in the cards?
Interesting only because I consider the Mint to be quite a powerful building. There is only one, so if you get it, now the gold you get becomes anything you want ti to be, and now you can usualyl squeeze gold out of your opponent in trades. Or when you are stealing resources from him, you can takes gold so you have mroe flexibility for building. Mint is the red buildings I most often build, but it depends on the situation. I do agree that Gold fleet is slightly less valuable, but hey, someone will usually get a second Gold stream region, and it is cheaper than the Mint.

I totally agree with you on pricey knights. The way I look at it, if you want to compete for knights, have a medium pwoer knight then try and Black Knight your opponent. It is very difficult to build a valuable knight and keep him on the board. Even if you build the Church, you still have to worry about the Black Knight.

University is in the expansion, and the game is extended to 13 Victory Points with an expansion. The University does allow you the use of a LOT of good action cards, but I do think it is not especially vital. I find the Progress expansion fiarly mediocre anyways...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Errors in the cards?
familygaming (#24756),

Maybe I just need to play against different opponents :-) Playing against one's spouse, you can get used to each other and anticipate more or less what the other will or won't do.

Neither of us has really tried using the Mint. At 6 resources to build it, and can't see that I'd get 6 resources of value in return. But maybe if you had the 2nd stream, as you say. Or combined with the 2x gold in one of the expansions...

As for the University, maybe it's more that I wasn't crazy about that expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.