Popular Tags: [View All]
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't played MTG for years, other than online and I am starting to research how to sell all or part of my collection.

I have thousands of cards from Homelands through to Mercadian Masques - though have no complete sets. I also have misprints oversized and tournament prize cards.

While I could quite easily sell some of the choice picks individually it is more difficult to sell run of the mill rares. Is there any good way of doing this? The job lots I have seen on ebay etc seem to go for very low prices. I realise there is a buy price and a sell price but it would be nice to get rid of everything - at least all the rares - in one go for at least a third of the dealer sell price.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this - or know any UK shops/dealers who it might be worthwhile approaching?

Many thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my collection a few years ago on ebay. I listed all my big rares seperatly and sold the rest as a lot. The lot had few thousand cards and sold for $350 or so. Ended up making about 800 dollars, big mistake for me as now they are worth triple that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Best Way to Sell a Collection? All Advice Appreciate
archivists wrote:
Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this - or know any UK shops/dealers who it might be worthwhile approaching?

I do. Drop me a PM to let me know where you are and I'll give you a hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rough estimate, expect to get about 30p per rare on ebay for an unsorted collection, and about 10p per rare for a dealer. I'd strongly advise keeping the cards - you'll get a lot less than you paid for the cards 9with the exception of a fre tournament staples), and will probably bitterly regret your decision in years to come.

Or you could trade them on BGG. I'd be intereted in your oversized cards if they are the ones with the normal backs (plus a banner saying not for play or similar), since I'm trying to put a deck together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the advice.

I'm still undecided as to whether to keep the cards and hold out for better prices in the future, or sell up now. Has anyone had any experience with selling to US based online traders. Are there any you would recommend?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing, collecting, buying, and selling magic cards for about ten years, and ebay is definitely your best bet for giving a good return. As far as the value of your collection, honestly the overall price of magic cards been pretty stable for the last five years or so. Generally speaking, the very popular cards go up somewhat as time passes from their printing, while moderately popular to unpopular cards tend to go down significantly within about two years of printing. Even most of the high dollar cards like power 9, mana drains, force of will, etc. have been relatively stable for the past five years or so. Therefore, if you're tired of playing or haven't played in years, selling off is definitely a good choice. As has been recommended, your best bet is to list all the big money rares and uncommons on ebay (www.cardshark.com also works fairly well) and sell the rest off as one big lot on ebay. You won't get a great price, but it will be significantly more than you'll get from a dealer.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also just make lots and bring them to a hospital or halfway house or such where underpriveledged teens might be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Experience:

Sell individual cards of value on a site such as Cardshark or ebay (Cardshark worked really well for me when I was into the game) and then unload the rest in either a big lot auction on ebay or just put them in a yard sale for 5$.

If you try to sell the whole collection as one unit you'll be skinned alive on card value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.