Runebound (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: So you dont combine all shop cards and play ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Just read something about separating shop cards before you play. What did they mean by saying that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Instead of one big stack of everything, the game wants only three sets. Having not studied each set, I just assume it is to keep the parity of item types.

I've been thinking of keeping the sets separate, but giving each shop one stack. Possibly a cause of imbalance, but I'd probably be fine with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
Just read something about separating shop cards before you play. What did they mean by saying that?

Where did you come across this? I have not long purchased the game and am in fact giving it a first go-through at the moment. My understanding of the rulebook is that the shop card deck of 60 cards is shuffled, then three each drawn for the four cities, leaving 48 shop cards in the stack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's mentioned in the expansion rules. That rule is probably not included in the base game since there's not need for it until you introduce additional cards via the expansion(s). I will have to verify and check this later... but I'm pretty sure this is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its in the main rules ref book - glossary, under Asset Cards, then the last line.

Main game has A, B, C sets. Expansions are new sets.
Must pull out one set to put in new set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah... I am mixing them all together

1) I find it bothersome to separate a ton of cards before each game,
2) I like the variety of having all sets
3) it has not been an issue thus far, at least not a noticeable one

so why bother separating them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mack
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone finding this really matters, though?

Personally, I get the importance of avoiding dilution of the adventure deck (i.e. relative to scenario specific cards folded into it), but I've been lazier with the asset deck. When I first setup Gilded Blade, I was like, "M'eh, I wonder how much it really matters..." and just used a melded ABCD asset deck (and later ABCDE deck). If it's made the game any better/worse/harder/easier, I haven't noticed compared to playing originally with just the ABC asset composed deck. But faster setup / tear down of the asset deck.

With enough expansions, I suspect I might be more careful in splitting the asset sets to make a more refined deck... <<Shrug>>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with them all mixed together and found that it didn't really work. We ended up with nothing in the market by Goods and low-valued items. No one wanted to go shopping due to this problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So what are cards a,b, and c . Does that mean to separate them buy thier color.?

And I have the exspansion w the mountain symbol so that's a stack of itself?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its on the card. Along the right edge near the item/token picture.

Example. Just using the main game. You'll see A, or A03, or C, or B02.
The letter is the set. (asset cards in pic are all B set)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you combine everything to form a single 80+ card deck then the markets will be less reliable. Meaning it's more likely you end up with a preponderance of items you don't want/can't afford. You might not notice by adding 1 set, but if you have a few expansions it might become a bigger problem. There is also the 'problem' (if you consider it such) of ending up with 1 massive 200 card deck after multiple expansions, which are both very swingy and difficult to shuffle.

I like the idea of using 1 set per market, though I'm not actually sure off the top of my head how that would affect the consistency of the market. It should mean each market plays more consistently in isolation but I'm not sure how it will work out overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GenChaos wrote:
Its on the card. Along the right edge near the item/token picture.

Example. Just using the main game. You'll see A, or A03, or C, or B02.
The letter is the set. (asset cards in pic are all B set)

Thank you for posting this so simply stack all shop cards into thier lettered stack and then pick three to use as the shop deck then sufflet and put three n each city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
Thank you for posting this so simply stack all shop cards into thier lettered stack and then pick three to use as the shop deck then sufflet and put three asset cards in each city?

Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three of the four expansions and all of it in the base game box with the crappy Fantasy Flight insert reversed so there is more room in the box to hold all of it. Everything is just mixed together. I really need a well designed insert to keep all of these things in their place so setup doesn't take forever. Has any of the nice insert making companies given any love to Runebound and designed an insert as of yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliah Leong
Singapore
flag msg tools
Would it make sense to open additional card(s) per market space so that you can use all the sets and avoid dilution at the same time?

So for each new set added to the item deck, the open cards for each market space increases by 1. With the 2 new sets included to the base 3 sets, each market will have 5 cards at any point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Tyler
United States
flag msg tools
trakes wrote:
I have three of the four expansions and all of it in the base game box with the crappy Fantasy Flight insert reversed so there is more room in the box to hold all of it. Everything is just mixed together. I really need a well designed insert to keep all of these things in their place so setup doesn't take forever. Has any of the nice insert making companies given any love to Runebound and designed an insert as of yet?

Not that I know of. But the cards are standard sizes, I just started looking at what other organizers would work. Shouldn't be too hard to find one, I hope

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.