BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas wishes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family keep asking me about my Christmas wishes. I Think i would say boardgames but which games? Im thinking of :

Lost Cities

Ticket to Ride: Europe

Morels

Neuroshima Hex! (maybe because im primary play with my GF and she Think that Roll for the Galaxy is a hard game to learn and a little geeky im afraid that this game is to hard For her to learn and also is to geeky)

Any other games worth mention?

criteria : good two player game/not only two player.
Not hard to learn.
Max playtime about 1 hour +/-
No DD games ect.
Any games out there Like Splendor? (She loves Splendor)
Good couple game.

Sorry for the noobish question but im still new to this wonderful World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to apologize! We're happy to help. Two games that come to mind which share some similarities with Splendor...

Jaipur - card drafting, set collection, hand management, only two player.
Biblios - 2-4 players, auction/bidding card drafting, hand management, set collection.

Both are easy to learn and play in less than an hour. I'll also throw in Love Letter because I think it's great with two, though plays up to four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet

Keltis: Der Weg der Steine Mitbringspiel

Hoppladi Hopplada!

Lakota

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Roll for the Galaxy is too big a jump from the other games. It has a weight rating of 2.7 while the other games are closer to 1.7 - I know it doesn't sound like much, but it really is.

Now between those two weights, there are games like Carcassonne, San Juan, Patchwork (or the newer Cottage Garden) and Jaipur. All good with, or two player only games.

You can have a look at this list to get further inspiration. Games marked with a 2 is voted best with two players, while games marked with a 2 is voted recommended with two players

Edit: forgot the link
The Complete Games Weight Scale - A Guide to Find Your Sweet Spot in Game Weight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dennis,

I wouldn't recommend Ticket to Ride: Europe for just two (great with more). It has 'not recommended' for two rating from 34.9% (137), of those who have voted.

There are other TTR versions and expansions that are better with 2 players.

+1 Morels
+1 Lost Cities

Neuroshima Hex! is pretty geeky and can look a little bit busy. It's also head to head which isn't always ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Takenoko
Lost Cities
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elena Litovka
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Carcassonne and Stone age, but I see you already have them. What about Tokaido? I like it with 2 players - it becomes less random.

If you don't mind abstract games - Quoridor may be an option

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I enjoy playing Ticket to Ride Europe 2P and it's fine, but Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is what you want if you prefer a tighter game (only plays 2-3 though).

Some of our favorite 'couples' games, in no particular order:
- Pandemic (Pandemic: The Cure's a good alternative; both co-ops)
- The Big Book of Madness (another co-op; runs a bit long so we shorten it)
- Burgle Bros. (and yet another co-op)
- Stone Age
- Jaipur
- Lost Cities
- Patchwork
- YINSH
- Targi
- The Builders: Middle Ages (plays similar to Splendor; fun art and theme)
- Pagoda
- Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- Morels
- Takenoko

We're learning Agility and 7 Wonders Duel next; they seem quite cool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely prefer Ticket to Ride over Lost Cities, because it's a great 2-player-game but also scales well to 3 and 4 players.

If it has to be a card game, I would prefer Sky Tango over Lost Cities. It kind of feels similar, but you can also play it with 3 or 4 (4 is in teams of 2).

Neuroshima Hex is quite fiddly (I actually prefer to play it on the tablet, where everything gets resolved by the app) and there probably are not that many girlfriends out there who would enjoy this game :-).

Race for the Galaxy is great, but there's a gf-friendly version with the same base mechanics: San Juan (first or second edition). It's a great, great card game and one of my gf and mine all time favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can find a copy of Finca, that might work. It's our favourite 2-player. If you like narrative type stuff, then Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 can't be beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Big Book of Madness if you want something co-op, it plays 2-5.

Imperial Settlers is nice, not too brainy but with lots of decisions to make and not very geeky. ;) Plays 1-4 (I think you can do 5 with the expansion?)

Oceanos is a cute card drafting game with adorable submarines that you can upgrade, not too complex, very good 2 player rules and plays up to 4.

The Pursuit of Happiness, this is a little bit more on the complex side, but not too much and the theme might be nice for a non-gaming partner. It's basically Game of Life without luck and instead nice worker placement that requires some thinking. 1-4 players.

I'd also like to throw in La Isla, it plays terrible with more than two players, but at the two player count it's great! Resource collection, skill managing and worker placement. It's not too complicated or complex, but offers lots of different strategies and you can play it in under an hour. :) It's also pretty cheap to buy. ;)

Star Realms/Cthulhu Realms/Hero Realms would also be an option, just choose the one with the theme that you and your gf like the most. Star Realms is only 2 player unless you buy a second base set, Cthulhu and Hero Realms are 2-4 player out of the box. You can play against each other, co-op a boss or do team battles. There's lots of official variations and Hero Realms even gets a co-op campaign add on early 2017. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
RenaissanceMom wrote:
My husband and I enjoy playing Ticket to Ride Europe 2P and it's fine, but Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is what you want if you prefer a tighter game (only plays 2-3 though).

Some of our favorite 'couples' games, in no particular order:
- Pandemic (Pandemic: The Cure's a good alternative; both co-ops)
- The Big Book of Madness (another co-op; runs a bit long so we shorten it)
- Burgle Bros. (and yet another co-op)
- Stone Age
- Jaipur
- Lost Cities
- Patchwork
- YINSH
- Targi
- The Builders: Middle Ages (plays similar to Splendor; fun art and theme)
- Pagoda
- Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- Morels
- Takenoko

We're learning Agility and 7 Wonders Duel next; they seem quite cool as well.

Has Karuba lost its luster? I remember you used to recommend it all over the place but it's noticeably absent here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.