Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: Are You Getting the Poseidon Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on this one. I love the idea of adding a sea setting to the game, but there are some real turn-offs in this one for me, too.

Pros:
1. The Setting- As stated above, adding seascapes to the mix is a great addition and very in-keeping with the Greek theme.
2. The Miniatures- Most of the characters in this pack are great. Scylla in particular is a both stunning and original.

Cons:
1. The Miniatures: While the Poseidon mini is extremely well crafted, I can't help but think it looks out of place. If I were to see it out of the game's context, I would guess it was from either a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' or Cthulhu (or both) gaming system. Additionally, Polyphemus is particularly bad in this regard. Seen alone, he doesn't look Ancient Greek...he doesn't even look like a cyclops (his one eye is a teeny tiny slit?). Again, 'Pirates of the Caribbean' comes to mind (maybe with a little 'Independence Day' thrown in). He's even carrying an anchor more suited to the Age of Sail than Ancient Greece, again evoking a pirate-ish look.
2. The Value:$60 is a hefty price considering what you get in the base box (at least the KS package).

What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Well I totally agree with you...
Poseidon is extremly well crafted but he is not "Poseidon" at all to me
I was rather expecting a kind of great old god whose white beard looks like the sea foam. For instance, the Poseidon we can see in the art of the game "Cyclades" is way -way better to me !!!

Agree with your feeling that this one seems escaped from 'Pirates of the Caribbean' or Cthulhu : very unfortunate !

That's such a pity! (and I don't like the Cyclops neither because he looks more like an "alien/predator"

On the other hand, the sea theme is needed, and all the other minis are just perfect! So...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think from the game addons (the ones with new chars and scenarios) this is actually the one with the best value.

With regard to Poseidon, the choice for this kind of representation is a good one.
a) there are already enough bearded robed gods around that some diversity doesn't hurt.
b) given the maps and the setting he comes with he actually might look more natural when placed on open water compared to a standard two-legged version. If you see depictions of him on water you mostly see the torso above the waterline, so that might seem like a reasonable compromise

having new maps with a new terrain is always good and I'm interested to see what they made out of the boat mechanic (something on the plus side compared to the Hephaestos exp)

concerning Polyphemus I agree with you, wouldn't even recognized him as a Cyclops on the first glance - which is telling for an one-eyed char.

comparing to the base box is always difficult as you usually never get the same mini/$ value or whatever metric you choose. And of course, if you add stretch goals to the comparison, every addon is enormously over priced.

so I think it might be worthwhile, however it also is a non exclusive (except one char) and probably one that will make it to retail - opening the option to leave it for later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's okay.

Not a huge fan of the tentacle-Poseidon, either, but he does look pretty cool, so.

My biggest dislike in this set are the Sirens with their weird posture (sure, they are supposed to look like they are swimming or something, but still, they look like they are stranded on the beach and begging for help). Would be better to have them sit on a rock or something like that, I think.

Scylla looks awesome, of course. And Andromeda is really great, too.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'll be getting every single optional buy that comes with minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Thanee wrote:
I think it's okay.

Not a huge fan of the tentacle-Poseidon, either, but he does look pretty cool, so.

My biggest dislike in this set are the Sirens with their weird posture (sure, they are supposed to look like they are swimming or something, but still, they look like they are stranded on the beach and begging for help). Would be better to have them sit on a rock or something like that, I think.

Scylla looks awesome, of course. And Andromeda is really great, too.

Bye
Thanee

Ooohh yes I forgot those horrible Sirens
Sirens minis should be half-visible : with only the parts of their bodies coming out from water ! That would be way more realistic and nice !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given that the majority of the boards are on land, wouldn't it be a bit silly to have the Sirens emerging from water that isn't there?

As to the OP's question, I crave the Poseidon expansion like my lungs crave oxygen, so yes, I am getting it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon is the most major God besides Zeus, and the game is called Mythic Battles Pantheon after all .

Though a bit tentacly, Poseideon's miniature would look good on the water board. What I don't like is his art, specifically his facial expression/mouth.

As for Scylla, I'm going to go against the popular vote and say I think the mini is quite average, at least when compared to the rather amazing art.

Also that Sarlacc pit mini is looking pretty sad. It's so shallow vs the art. Looks like a beer holder/coaster.

But overall this expansion looks pretty good, pricey, but hey, it's Poseidon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Also that Sarlacc pit mini is looking pretty sad. It's so shallow vs the art. Looks like a beer holder/coaster....

if everything else fails, you can also use it as an ash tray - should put on some fireproof varnish to be sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asgorn wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Also that Sarlacc pit mini is looking pretty sad. It's so shallow vs the art. Looks like a beer holder/coaster....

if everything else fails, you can also use it as an ash tray - should put on some fireproof varnish to be sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
I am also very torn on this one. TL;DR: A beard on Poseidon would make this an insta-buy for me.

I don't mind the price point, and the selection of figures is great. I am also having visions of combining this expansion with the ship board from Conan.

I don't even mind the tentacles or the mask on Poseidon. However, I am really having trouble with the lack of a beard. I have never seen a depiction of Poseidon without a beard, and I really think that as the three chief brothers of the pantheon, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, should have some common features like a beard, while remaining quite different in other aspects. I agree with your point that the Poseidon figure here is so different from Zeus and Hades that it really seems to belong in a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll get it for Poseidon and Scylla. Shame the Sirens look so terrible. Like frogs that fell over or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably will buy the expansion.

But the sea creatures on land just seem very weird. Not so much for Poseidon (although running on octopus arms ..) but the sirens, them crawling like that on the land, seems very strange. Sirens crawling through the mountains, it just feels very out of place, un-immersive.
Same with Scylla and her tentacles. Are they supposed to come out of the ground, like a sand worm?

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
But the sea creatures on land just seem very weird. Not so much for Poseidon (although running on octopus arms ..) but the sirens, them crawling like that on the land, seems very strange. Sirens crawling through the mountains, it just feels very out of place, un-immersive.
Same with Scylla and her tentacles. Are they supposed to come out of the ground, like a sand worm?

while some look as if they were designed to look not too out of place either on water or on land (poseidon, sirens), I agree Scylla would look a bit odd.

I wonder if there are rules for land/sea usage or if this is limited to scenario setups.

while we are on the topic of on water, I still think the Icarus model should have captured the moment he plummeted into the sea - so basically a water splashing on a base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is so much variety and value in the base pledge, I am struggling to find a reason to get expansions. An exclusive character/monster/whatever doesn't really cut it for me. Which I'm perfectly happy with.

Great campaign so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb

rnickster86 wrote:
There is so much variety and value in the base pledge, I am struggling to find a reason to get expansions. An exclusive character/monster/whatever doesn't really cut it for me. Which I'm perfectly happy with.

Great campaign so far!

Even if they weren't sculpts and units in there that I really want, and there is, that it introduces a new type of board which changes up the way the game plays a little is enough for me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Paronychodon wrote:
I am also very torn on this one. TL;DR: A beard on Poseidon would make this an insta-buy for me.

I don't mind the price point, and the selection of figures is great. I am also having visions of combining this expansion with the ship board from Conan.

I don't even mind the tentacles or the mask on Poseidon. However, I am really having trouble with the lack of a beard. I have never seen a depiction of Poseidon without a beard, and I really think that as the three chief brothers of the pantheon, Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades, should have some common features like a beard, while remaining quite different in other aspects. I agree with your point that the Poseidon figure here is so different from Zeus and Hades that it really seems to belong in a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only you could fix poor Polyphemus so easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:

You can. All you need really is to add a big eye to the center.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
Saber72 wrote:

You can. All you need really is to add a big eye to the center.

something like this ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tinfish wrote:
I'll get it for Poseidon and Scylla. Shame the Sirens look so terrible. Like frogs that fell over or something.

Frogs?Are you sure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eww. Reminds me of the Bloodlicker / Bloodsucking Beast from Bloodborne:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Belsamoreth wrote:
tinfish wrote:

Frogs?Are you sure?

What a pity (and what a non-sense!) Sirens are so ugly !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FILS DES LOUPS wrote:
Belsamoreth wrote:
[q="tinfish"]I'll get it for Poseidon and Scylla. Shame the Sirens look so terrible. Like frogs that fell over or something.

Frogs?Are you sure?

What a pity (and what a non-sense!) Sirens are so ugly !

No little mermaids for us ... ;-)

At least i won't have to feel guilty killing them ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.