Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After investing about an hour into my second session, with Roland and Wendy (the former perilously close to going mad)

Spoiler (click to reveal)

We are both in the Cellar, the only space left with any clues on it. We only need 1 more clue to advance the Act to #3.

Cellar:
http://arkhamdb.com/card/01114
Shroud = 4

While we're in there we draw an Obscuring Fog:

http://arkhamdb.com/card/01168

which increases the Shroud from 4 to 6. That makes it literally impossible for us to have any chance of success in investigating. The only way to remove the Fog is to successfully investigate once.

No, we don't have any more cards which could contribute Intellect, and even if we did, we'd need a +2 to have any chance whatsoever of success, and +4 or more for a reasonable chance.

i. feel. violated.

i concede.

Reshuffle.

This game could really use a "save point" feature so that we don't have to bother with wading through Act 1 again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is why it's always a good idea to keep a Flashlight handy for heading down into the Cellar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbar wrote:
Which is why it's always a good idea to keep a Flashlight handy for heading down into the Cellar
Yeah, just keep drawing cards until one of them draws a flashlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
Timbar wrote:
Yeah, just keep drawing cards until one of them draws a flashlight.

The flashlights were already long gone at that point , and Wendy's entire discard pile had been removed from the game by some evil card or other.

Violated, i say, VIOLATED.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is rough.

Was Wendy's Amulet in play? At least you have a shot with auto-success with that as well as her ability to re-draw a Chaos token

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..how did you use up 4 flashlights in just the Study and the Attic? Study has a Shroud of 2, and the Attic a Shroud of 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
at least it's not that one Eldritch Horror mythos card that makes you shuffle an already-completed mystery back into the deck, undoing an hour or more of gameplay.

Dickery in design is a core feature of the FFG Lovecraft games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbar wrote:
That is rough.

Was Wendy's Amulet in play? At least you have a shot with auto-success with that as well as her ability to re-draw a Chaos token

i had JUST (that turn) discarded to it try to boost an Investigation test (in the Obscured zone) for that last-needed clue. That test failed, leaving me completely impotent. i honestly forgot her ability. It might have saved me... momentarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
..how did you use up 4 flashlights in just the Study and the Attic? Study has a Shroud of 2, and the Attic a Shroud of 1.

Doh, it wasn't 4: i had used 2 of them up (one per Investigator). The Agenda was about to flip to #3, though, and i didn't feel that i had a chance in hell. i don't know the contents of the decks at this point well enough to know that another flashlight might arrive. i don't like to read the cards until i encounter them, and this is only my 2nd session, the first ever with two investigators, so 80%+ of the cards were new to me.

Still... i feel violated.

But it's nothing Yig hasn't done to me in Eldritch Horror already :/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Roland's special ability is your best shot (no pun intended, well maybe) there.

Hang out in the cellar and hope for rats or an easy ghoul. Make sure he gets the kill, gain clue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:
at least it's not that one Eldritch Horror mythos card that makes you shuffle an already-completed mystery back into the deck, undoing an hour or more of gameplay.

i came about a centimeter away from rage-quitting the first time i hit that card. If i encounter it again, i will silently let it slip under the table.

eviljelloman wrote:

A little dickery is one thing, but one card removing an hour+ of work, and essentially guarantying a loss due to the Mythos deck running out, is just too big a slap on the face for me to tolerate in my gaming.

In this case i just happened to have the bad luck the the highest-shrouded area got the +2 Shroud on it. Had it happened somewhere else, i could have potentially recovered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
Roland's special ability is your best shot (no pun intended, well maybe) there.

Hang out in the cellar and hope for rats or an easy ghoul. Make sure he gets the kill, gain clue.

HOLY COW! He had actually killed two ghouls in that room in the previous 2 turns. i forgot his ability blush.

Aaarrrgggg. Too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that problem early on. Roland got the clues by blasting of bad dudes and an event that allows you to do it.

In any case, being at act 3 fire the last location is a sign you went too slow. Try going faster through the locations next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RTFC Sir, RTFC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
In one game I Pied Piper of Hamlin-ed rats from the attic all the way down to the cellar, taking the opportunity attacks along the way, just for the easy clue that would otherwise be a pain to Investigate into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obscuring fog is just really not that nasty of a card. There are many of ways to get around it: flashlight, any cards that contribute + investigate to a skill test, Roland's ability, Drawn to the Flame, Working a Hunch, Look What I Found!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
I had that problem early on. Roland got the clues by blasting of bad dudes and an event that allows you to do it.

In any case, being at act 3 fire the last location is a sign you went too slow. Try going faster through the locations next time

i was collecting clues as fast as i possibly could. Roland can't collect them worth a damn (unless, of course, you remember to use his ability!), and Wendy (the designated Clue Finder) just couldn't cut a break with the Chaos Chips. Both characters got caught up in Frozen with Fear for 2 turns each, as well, which of course slowed them down.

Oh, well... i'll try again tomorrow.

Still... i go to bed feeling somewhat violated. (If only i'd been paying attention to Roland's ability...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
...and Wendy (the designated Clue Finder)

So you already figured it out, but it's worth repeating - Roland is the Clue Finder (and DPS, less importantly), Wendy is the tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timbar wrote:
RTFC Sir, RTFC

It's not the Reading that's the problem but the Remembering [at the right time] cry. Or maybe the Remembering to Read at the Right time. i've got the memory of a goldfish.

When i watch Wil Wheaton run his games i'm always amazed at how well he remembers the little details of each card in front of all players (or maybe has them pointed out to him from off-screen, i dunno).

Second core just arrived a few moments ago, so time to get sleeving...

PS: Feeling less violated this morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How was that the only location left with a clue, if you didn't already have enough? There should have been 8 clues in play total (4 for Attic, 4 for Cellar) and you need 6 to advance the Agenda (3 per investigator). This is assuming 2-player, but there should always be more clues available than required in this scenario.

Remember that if you're dealing with Cover Up, you remove clues from Cover up INSTEAD OF discovering a clue, so the clue stays on the location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did say the cellar was the only location with any clues on, not that it only had one on!

Man, Roland's ability is so clutch though. Even if you're only burning off his Cover Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
unitled wrote:
They did say the cellar was the only location with any clues on, not that it only had one on!

Reading comprehension fail, thanks for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Wouldn't using Hyperawareness boost your investigation stat for each resource you spend? I spent three resources to boost Roland's investigation +3 when investigating a fogged cellar in scenario one and succeeded (only drew -1 from the bag). Or did I play that wrong.

EDIT: it's early and my grammar was awful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rican919 wrote:
Wouldn't using Hyperawareness boost your investigation stat for each resource you spend?

i have no clue. Eldritch Horror got me in the habit of not reading cards before encountering them, so these decks are completely opaque to me for the time being. Yes, i know that it's "okay" to read an Investigator's deck in this game, but... i'd rather not. Analyzing each card in advance brings back too many traumatic memories of being addicted to Magic the Gathering (which i gave up over 16 years ago).

In any case, my "being violated" was completely my fault: Roland had killed enough Ghouls to get us the clues we needed to advance the Act, i had just forgotten to apply his ability :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Crisman
United States
Decatur
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eviljelloman wrote:

First time I've laughed out loud reading BGG in awhile. How true!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.