Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a parasite use chemoselectivity (utilize 2 alike catalysts for any other color) even when a catalyst of that color is available on its Host?

For example, a parasite needs a green catalyst to promote and its Host player has 1 green along with 2 yellow catalysts. Instead of procuring the available green catalyst from its Host, can it instead choose to utilize the two yellows (leaving just the green catalyst with the Host player)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only if you want your friends to rage-quit...

I don't see anything currently in the rules that prohibits this. I don't know if this was intended behavior so Phil might have to chime in on this one, but I think it's reasonable to say that yes they can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I *think* chemoselectivity is only an option if you do not have a catalyst of matching color for the mutation you are trying to purchase.

Here is my reasoning: As an organism, if you need hydrogen, and hydrogen is available, wouldn't you just use it, instead of breaking apart a molecule of water to liberate they hydrogen from the oxygen?

It is very rough when parasites spend your catalysts. Optional chemoselectivity for parasites seems really harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As of this post, I don't see anything in the living rules that prohibit this. Maybe they should be changed to:

If you lack the corresponding color of catalyst for a purchase, you may spend two catalysts of the same color as if they were the corresponding color.

(Writing specific, concise, clear rules is VERY difficult.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Can a parasite use chemoselectivity (utilize 2 alike catalysts for any other color) even when a catalyst of that color is available on its Host?

For example, a parasite needs a green catalyst to promote and its Host player has 1 green along with 2 yellow catalysts. Instead of procuring the available green catalyst from its Host, can it instead choose to utilize the two yellows (leaving just the green catalyst with the Host player)?

We playtested that the spender has the choice of chemoselectivity. This applies not only to parasites but also to endosymbionts and foreign genes.

Naturally this plays out vastly different if your organism has a foreign gene in a cooperative vs. a competitive game. As Will says, it is quite harsh in a competitive game.

I like Will's appeal to the path of least resistance, but have superseded it with Wasson's principle: "in every non-trivial game there are Lamarkian appeals". The parasites and foreign genes are making decisions on the host's health in their own self-interest. Something that is still happening in human bodies today. However, I will listen to debate on this issue, in the interests of gameplay, as responding players have had vastly different experiences on the effectiveness of parasites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this just makes the choice to purchase a red queen mutation more desirable if your parasite is being a pest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's on the box: A molecular arms race
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response, Phil. It is much more enlightened than my "that just seems kinda mean" reply.

It sounds like nature has both cases covered, so it will be up to the parasite player to decide when to abuse chemoselectivity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.