Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trade Agreements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bridges
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
How do the exchange of trade agreements take place? I can't find anything that clarifies this in the rules. Is it

1. Blind exchange, where each player receives a face down card chosen by the other player. Someone might pass the 3 productiion card but only receive a 1 or 2 production card in exchange.

2. Negotiate with another player and agree to openly exchage cards. You know exactly what you are going to receive.

3. Same as (1) above but cards exchanged randomly.

4. Something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's all out in the open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
It's all out in the open.

And considering that there is no cost for giving, exchanging, or revoking your trade agreements, even if it weren't all out in the open, that would just create a hassle for players to get the agreements they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyia wrote:

4. Something else?

Definitely an open, debatable transaction. But don't forget that it doesn't even have to be an exchange. One player can offer (or be extorted for) a trade agreement and not receive anything in return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player initiates trade by offering one of their trade cards. They may give you a trade agreement in exchange but it does not have to be the same amount.

However at any time you may exchange a trade card your rival has with another trade you still have increasing or decreasing the number of production your rival will receive.

Also at any time you can revoke a trade agreement at any time. However if you have a rival's trade agreement cannot give it back (I don't know why you would) until you attack them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:
Player initiates trade by offering one of their trade cards. They may give you a trade agreement in exchange but it does not have to be the same amount.

Expanding on this, I made an assumption about trades that maybe wasn't correct. In an old thread someone challenged me on it, so maybe it's worth asking here.

I don't disagree with any of Maldus' points. You can't give back a trade agreement unless you attack them, but you can revoke your own trade agreement (or exchange it for a different value one) at any time.

BUT, I also play that you can't be forced into taking a rival's trade agreement in the first place. They can offer it, but if I don't want it, I won't take it. If I do take it, I understand that I am stuck with it (or another of their trade cards) until such time as they revoke it or I attack them. I'm curious how the rest of you play this?

I admit that in the core box, there isn't much of a downside. But there might be something in an expansion (Ferengi perhaps?) that makes holding trade cards a negative somehow. I can see the argument for allowing a forced trade--it's basically just another society saying, "We won't attack you, and you can move through our sectors." And you don't get a say in how they feel about you, which is what the trade card basically represents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
BUT, I also play that you can't be forced into taking a rival's trade agreement in the first place. They can offer it, but if I don't want it, I won't take it. If I do take it, I understand that I am stuck with it (or another of their trade cards) until such time as they revoke it or I attack them. I'm curious how the rest of you play this?

I agree with you that a trade agreement cannot be forced on another player, but at the same time, I'm curious why you would ever refuse a trade agreement. There's no downside to taking a trade agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(Upon further consideration, I realized that the Federation has trade-related advancements, which you may wish to prevent them from capitalizing on, so you might refuse a trade agreement offered by them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.