$35.00
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Warmachine/Hordes and Infinity, and while I had a blast playing those games, I eventually gave them up for a variety of reasons. The games were expensive, it required great effort to keep up with the rules/erratas, and it was hard to find people to play with. While I loved the experience of those games, board gaming was so much more accessible for me and allowed me to share my love of gaming with greater ease. There were lots of people who were interested in Warmachine, but large rule books and substantial start up costs kept many away. I don't have that problem with board games. Then X-wing came along and I thought the cheaper price point would be an easier sell for some of my Star Wars loving friends, but even X-wing posed a variety of the same problems that I was trying to run away from, and the result was the same. Now, my small set of X-wing models are up for sale...



..And now here comes Blood Blowl and I am rather intrigued. A few questions though:

1. Based on my previous experience, is Blood Bowl fools gold for me?

2. I get that everyone wants fancy shiny armies...but can someone drop $35 (or however much an army costs) and field a competitive team or are there models constantly being released for each team, requiring someone to "keep up?"

3. Is it accessible for new players? It seems as if luck abounds in the game, which seems to even the playing field. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks for your help! I really want to try this game out, but I fear that it will end up on my trade list simply because I cannot get anyone to "buy in."



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even see it as a miniatures game. It's just a great game with the added option of collecting, painting and customising miniatures if you like. I'm not interested in that part, I just bought my team and one or two Star Players and that's it. Although there are lots of teams to choose from (I assume they'll all get new minis eventually), Blood Bowl has never really been a game where you need to continue buying to "keep up with the Joneses". If you want to focus on one team in particular, it's a relatively low investment.

The rules have been fairly constant for a long time too, so I wouldn't worry about that. New players will lose to experienced ones, no doubt about it, but there are opportunities for crazy plays where luck can play a part. Some of the skill of the game is about understanding how to minimise the luck, or mitigate against bad rolls when you have to take risks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jude Mapp
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't necessarily think so. The rules have remained solid with very little errata for over a decade. The game doesn't need to be expensive at all.

2. You require the core set initially, for rules and board etc... but after that Teams will come as a box set. Now, to be truly competitive you'll want to buy two boxes. But that's it. Historically Bloodbowl hasn't introduced any "new players" just the odd star player and you don't need them at all.

3. Very accessible as the rules are relatively straightforward. But their is a luck element. Every so often the game will completely screw you over and there's nothing you can do about it. But that's part of the Chaos of Blood bowl.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this helps a bit to put your mind at ease, I am in the same bot when it comes to buying more and more minis and crazy rule books.

1. No BB is a complete experience in the box, you could buy the base set and have enough replay value with everything in the box alone, also grab the Death Zone rule book as well and it will be all you need to play interesting and varied games for some time, it covers all kinds of teams that aren't even announced yet.

2. The two teams in the base set are complete teams, any extras you buy from here on out are purely extra. If you think the Skaven look cool, grab them, if not then pass but the dwarves instead. They may release individual star players at a later date which are extra fluff.

3. It is accessible to new players, the base rules are easy to pick up, then it has more rules that you introduce as time goes on. Luck is abound, but the luck is what makes the game great! If there was no dice chucking then it would be boring, nothing funnier than watching a figure that has everything right and then boom he stumbles.

Give it a shot, the game has been around for years due to it's loyal fan base, solid rules and great humor and characters. he fact that that the new rule book isn't much different than the last one which came out years ago is a testament to it's power as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you have your team, that's all you ever need to play in a league, although the organizers might like it if you had a field to play on because at least half of the coaches need to bring one. You'll probably want a few extra positional players on top of a team set, but that's it. So 20 models max with no need for any more. Until you get the bug and start buying cheerleader and apothecary models. Then another team...

The rules have been pretty solid for 20 years with very little change. Doesn't look like GW are changing anything significant at all.

There is luck, but a good coach will beat a bad coach most times. Much more of a toss-up for when a slightly better coach plays a slightly worse coach.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I played in a league years ago and owned two different teams. I spent less than $100 (Canadian) total. It's definitely not a money pit the way other miniatures games can be.

One money-saving tip if you're cheap: just buy the cheapest minis you can find and make them look like football players by giving them helmets made of modelling putty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just note that no-one uses the starting lineups provided in the box. You will need to buy about 2-6 extra miniatures for each team to complement the base game miniatures. Once you have them, though, there should be no need, incentive, or even option to buy "newer and better" versions of the players in teams you have completed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Just note that no-one uses the starting lineups provided in the box. You will need to buy about 2-6 extra miniatures for each team to complement the base game miniatures. Once you have them, though, there should be no need, incentive, or even option to buy "newer and better" versions of the players in teams you have completed.


Why is this the case? Do you need extra minis to field a full team?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Just note that no-one uses the starting lineups provided in the box. You will need to buy about 2-6 extra miniatures for each team to complement the base game miniatures. Once you have them, though, there should be no need, incentive, or even option to buy "newer and better" versions of the players in teams you have completed.


Why is this the case? Do you need extra minis to field a full team?

Not to field a full team, as 12 figures is sufficient when only 11 are in play, but to field a sensible starting lineup. For the humans you will want another 2 blitzers, maybe an ogre for more experimental teams. For the orcs you will want another 2 blitzers, 2 black orcs, a goblin, and maybe a troll and some more goblins for more experimental teams.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Would like to add that not only do you not need to keep buying new miniatures to keep up with it, there are set limits preventing you from being able to. Take the basic human team as an example.

Each team usually has a stock unit that you can have up to 16 of. For humans, it's the lineman.

Then you get a few skilled positions you can usually get 2-4 of. Humans can have a maximum of 4 catchers, 4 blitzers and 2 throwers.

Then there might be a more powerful player that you can only have one of. Human teams are allowed to field one ogre. Most don't even have one.

Then there's the star players. Star players won't play for just any team. Each team has a set list of star players that they can hire for a match. There are only six star players willing to play for human teams.

So if you had every miniature possible for a human team. 16 linemen, 4 catchers, 4 blitzers, 2 throwers, 1 ogre, and miniatures for all six star players, you would have a grand total of 33 miniatures. Which is a lot but far less than if you had a complete compliment of every miniature possible in an army for most miniature games.

Those 33 are it. It's very unlikely new human positions will be added, nor will you likely see new star players willing to play for the human team. Aside from getting some cheerleaders, that's as high as you can go.

And even having all 33 possible miniatures is unrealistic. Why would you need 16 linemen? If you want to field a team of nothing but linemen, I would love to play you in a match.

A competitive player might have about 20 miniatures for his team. And the game will never make those 20 miniatures no longer enough to stay competitive.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very important to point out that the "star players" can never become part of your permanent roster. There is a system for league play that gives weaker (lower value) teams perks to even up mismatched games, and one kind of perk you can choose when outclassed is to employ a star player for that game only.

Thus, for any game between teams of equivalent value, or any game outside of a league, you will never need star players. Even if newer and shinier star players are produced, you may never need them, and owning them will not influence any "meta" or otherwise unbalance the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Bohmoplata wrote:
Benkyo wrote:
Just note that no-one uses the starting lineups provided in the box. You will need to buy about 2-6 extra miniatures for each team to complement the base game miniatures. Once you have them, though, there should be no need, incentive, or even option to buy "newer and better" versions of the players in teams you have completed.


Why is this the case? Do you need extra minis to field a full team?

Not to field a full team, as 12 figures is sufficient when only 11 are in play, but to field a sensible starting lineup. For the humans you will want another 2 blitzers, maybe an ogre for more experimental teams. For the orcs you will want another 2 blitzers, 2 black orcs, a goblin, and maybe a troll and some more goblins for more experimental teams.

To add to this post; If you want to play league games, or if you actually end up loving Blood Bowl, then you will need to buy more players. Chances are that you'll want to play with a few more specific positionals than what comes in the box and that will cost some. Of course, you don't have to buy an entire box number two, but just either cherry pick models on eBay, or buy single models from other manufacturers. But in any case, at the most, you'll likely end up paying 2x the cost of a single boxed team. It is up to you to decide if that is too much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nors Jensen
Denmark
Kokkedal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait a month or two, I am pretty sure GW (or actually ForgeWold) will release booster packs for the existing teams.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
..And now here comes Blood Blowl and I am rather intrigued. A few questions though:

1. Based on my previous experience, is Blood Bowl fools gold for me?

2. I get that everyone wants fancy shiny armies...but can someone drop $35 (or however much an army costs) and field a competitive team or are there models constantly being released for each team, requiring someone to "keep up?"

3. Is it accessible for new players? It seems as if luck abounds in the game, which seems to even the playing field. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks for your help! I really want to try this game out, but I fear that it will end up on my trade list simply because I cannot get anyone to "buy in."


1) Blood bowl is agreat game. The rules have been around for 20 years with only the occasional small change. There is no meta-game that massively changes each 3 months with new releases or anything like that.

2) You can start playing with Orcs or Humans right from the base set. In a league however you can have up to 16 players in your team roster (this includes reserves) so you definitely want more minis than provided in the base set or in a team box. However, once you have enough minis (2x team box set and maybe one or two star players) your team is complete and youbdont have to buy more minis. Unless you want to playbanother team of course (which can be fun).

3) luck is a large factor in this game. So is tactics. Great coaches know how to incorporate (bad) luck into their tactics to both mitigate bad luck as well as exploit good luck.

Also, as a starting coach, play humans or orcs. They are the strongest teams (in the sense that they are very balanced and can easily play multiple types ofntactics). Leave off more specialized teams such as skaven, wood elves, dwarves or chaos until you get the hang of how humabs and orcs play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm home!
badge
The thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nors wrote:
Just wait a month or two, I am pretty sure GW (or actually ForgeWold) will release booster packs for the existing teams.


This is true, although we haven't seen any of said models or a release timeline yet. I hope it isn't too long; players are going to want them sooner rather than later!

There are of course a wide variety of third-party minis available for all the upcoming teams on the market now with no waiting!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Jonsson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FUMBBL online community released a ton of graphics files with bb players from all races. If you care more about the game and want to try other teams you might just print some unique images, number to be extra clear which player it is and play either with tokens or, if you are fancy, with those standup bases. I made a couple of teams with the players looking like wargaming counters to trick my wargaming friends into playing.
(That also had the benefit of a much smaller board).

In 2nd edition the minis were all identical (for each race) and they used different color bases to mark position (actually the base was single color and you stickered a number to it, and the rim was replaceable in different colors). But depending on where you start at you might be less comfortable than me with replacing the great looking minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) BB is not fools gold for you.

2) While there are some new models, mostly Star Players which as mentioned above are never part of your team's permanent roster, the base figures all have the same starting stats. You won't be able to go out and buy a special Blitzer for your team who will have better stats or skills than the other Blitzers you already have.

3) It is very accessible, though it takes a bit of practice to really wrap your head around the strategy. Being able to notice what the chance of a turnover is for each action you perform and going from the lowest chance to highest is critical, as nothing sucks more than opening your turn with a block that ends up with your player on the ground and your turn being over. This is something I would stress to any new player if I was gaming with them.

The base game is worth playing, even if you don't invest any more in the game. And if you just want to play around with using Star Players, you don't need to buy the official miniatures, just proxy. Hell, you can proxy your entire team if you want to. I had a friend who used a bunch of his D&D minis to proxy an Undead team. He just made little jerseys to put over them which had their team number on them and it worked great!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spexyjaj wrote:
The FUMBBL online community released a ton of graphics files with bb players from all races. If you care more about the game and want to try other teams you might just print some unique images, number to be extra clear which player it is and play either with tokens or, if you are fancy, with those standup bases.

This is how I play Blood Bowl:
9 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
How did you make that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
How did you make that?


Slaughtered a few innocent Rubik's Cubes.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
How did you make that?

Here's my thread on it, from 2013:
Homebrew Blood Bowl with 21 teams
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Sarja
Finland
Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
I've been diced!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:


1. Based on my previous experience, is Blood Bowl fools gold for me?

2. I get that everyone wants fancy shiny armies...but can someone drop $35 (or however much an army costs) and field a competitive team or are there models constantly being released for each team, requiring someone to "keep up?"

3. Is it accessible for new players? It seems as if luck abounds in the game, which seems to even the playing field. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks for your help! I really want to try this game out, but I fear that it will end up on my trade list simply because I cannot get anyone to "buy in."



1. Possibly. If your gaming group doesn't want to dive into another complex game and pay atleast 35$ to play.

2. In theory 35$ is enough. But it isn't enough if you know the game. 12 players doesn't cover the whole team and it's really stupid in my opinion. But if you pay a complete team that is tier 1 or tier 2 then yes, you are done. You don't need anything more unless you are bored with the team. tier 1 or 2 means anything but ogres, vampires, halfling, goblin, khemri.
The teams doesn't change from season to another, they stay almost unchanged for long time periods.

3. It's accessible for new players that doesn't mind a game that requires quite a bit of learning before getting the hang of it BUT i advise you to play with players with the same amount of experience. For a veteran player it's not great to "hold back" and for the new player it can be rough to take a huge beating and not get to do anything. There are some ways to make it more interesting for the veteran players and those are the "silly teams" like halfling and goblins etc.
The luck part is there for sure, but it isn't as dominant as it might seem on the surface. New players will get crushed 100% of the time because a good player knows how to optimize their moves and thus limit their hard dice rolls. It's not just about who gets lucky, it's more about who can capitalize their good rolls better and who can play around bad rolls so that they don't find themselves in a bad spot when they fail dice rolls.

4. I start to sound like a broken record yelling about this page, but in your case especially i would take a look at this site: https://fumbbl.com/p/news
Free java based blood bowl. Make a team with your friends and try it out. No investment and you know if it's good for you. It plays just like the board game and has all the races available (+1 the slann that isn't coming on this new version).
There has been a java update lately that requires you to put the site on a special security level because java started to ban pop-ups for some reason.
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog&c=android18 <- this forum post covers that issue if it happens.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bohmoplata wrote:
I used to play Warmachine/Hordes and Infinity, and while I had a blast playing those games, I eventually gave them up for a variety of reasons. The games were expensive, it required great effort to keep up with the rules/erratas, and it was hard to find people to play with. While I loved the experience of those games, board gaming was so much more accessible for me and allowed me to share my love of gaming with greater ease. There were lots of people who were interested in Warmachine, but large rule books and substantial start up costs kept many away. I don't have that problem with board games. Then X-wing came along and I thought the cheaper price point would be an easier sell for some of my Star Wars loving friends, but even X-wing posed a variety of the same problems that I was trying to run away from, and the result was the same. Now, my small set of X-wing models are up for sale...



..And now here comes Blood Blowl and I am rather intrigued. A few questions though:

1. Based on my previous experience, is Blood Bowl fools gold for me?

2. I get that everyone wants fancy shiny armies...but can someone drop $35 (or however much an army costs) and field a competitive team or are there models constantly being released for each team, requiring someone to "keep up?"

3. Is it accessible for new players? It seems as if luck abounds in the game, which seems to even the playing field. Is this a fair assessment?

Thanks for your help! I really want to try this game out, but I fear that it will end up on my trade list simply because I cannot get anyone to "buy in."



Based on your group of friends probably not a good choice. Blood bowl shines in a league setting since it opens up many of the rules that would otherwise rarely come up in basic teams. For a league you need several players and several base sets plus the different teams so the average is going to be about 100+ dollars a player probably. (50 Dollars to split starter+ 35 dollars for a different team + 15+ dollars to other minis).

The base teams are fine for learning the game but generally the best rosters use different numbers (Skaven for example almost always use 4 gutter runners as quickly as possible). They say from Forgeworld which means like 10 dollars a normal model and 30 dollars for a large one so expect it to average out to about double the base box cost for some teams. Once you have a teams roster though you are set. If they want to keep releasing stuff their are like 23 official rosters plus 1 NAF approved plus several other ones (including 2 in the BB 2 videogame). Plus tons of Star Players that are rarely used such that getting them at 15-30 dollars each does not make much sense outside collectors.

It can be hard for newbies but it depends on your Veterans. The best player in our league (Ranked 7th in last Blood Bowl World Cup, Highest Ranked US player) plays the harder rosters on purpose. The various teams have different level of abilities or challenge involved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.