Hide
13 Posts

Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: We have Achilles...but where are the Myrmidons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oak Wolf
msg tools
This is a must-have unit, and i think i am not alone in wanting to see the Myrmidons.

We've seen Jason and his Argonauts, but the Myrmidons are something special imho. Created by Zeus from ants! they ought to fight somewhere in Mythic Battles: Pantheons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, Achilles is swift-footed. I'm sure the Myrmidons will catch up eventually
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Sybaris wrote:
This is a must-have unit, and i think i am not alone in wanting to see the Myrmidons.

We've seen Jason and his Argonauts, but the Myrmidons are something special imho. Created by Zeus from ants! they ought to fight somewhere in Mythic Battles: Pantheons.

They might eventually show up one of these days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:

I have no doubt they will .. they're probably making a detour!

Sybaris wrote:
Created by Zeus from ants!

I wonder how they are going to look! The usual hoplite-like look, a bit insectoid, or will they be female (as 99,9% of the ants are females).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
Benoit0905 wrote:
Sybaris wrote:

I hope they do.

If not in a stretch goal, maybe as a Trojan expansion? Ajax, Hector, Agamemnon, Helen and of course, Odysseus. Would be funny to have a Trojan Horse as a 3d piece.

Since they are in the original Mythic battles (expansion), it'd be great if they could return here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

I wonder how they are going to look! The usual hoplite-like look, a bit insectoid, or will they be female (as 99,9% of the ants are females).

If they're female soldiers, that means skimpy armour, with lots of cleavage. And that means MORE CONTROVERSY!!! So I fully support this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sébastien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
I really hope they will be classical male great warriors !
...Enough weirdness with an octopus Poseidon gulp and Sirens who seem escaped from an asian horror movie ! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
I don't think that the greeks who thought about myrmidons even knew that ants had a gender specific caste system

I am confident that they envisioned the myrmidons as males, otherwise they'd be mentionned as females like an offshoot of the amazons. In the trojan war(s) (iliad), they would also have gotten a mention for being the only woman fighting unit, especially since they fought under Achilles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If 'too many troops already' is one of the reasons why Myrmidons might not make the cut, then maybe you could just change the name of the Hoplites into Myrmidons? They wont have problems passing as myrmidons since the already look similar to achilles. No gameplay change needed, just some modified flavor text.

This would be a good option if an actual myrmidon scuplt wont make it into the game.

It won't be a really farfetched idea as leonidas has his spartans in the core set, so having myrmidons thrown in there instead of regular hoplites would work just as well, don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think duplicates (either models or semantic ) should be avoided if possible.

I actually like that there is only one alternate as far as I can see.
In particular with the draft mode the relation model <-> character should be as easy as possible.

So, I would prefer that they would either add Myrmidons as own unit or not at all, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
If 'too many troops already' is one of the reasons why Myrmidons might not make the cut

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the Myrmidons not making it in! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not talking about duplicates, as I too agree that all units should be unique. I'm simply suggesting that if myrmidons don't make it in, then change the name of the hoplites that are already included in the core set into 'Myrmidons', no units are added or subtracted -- it's a simple name/lore change -- hence no duplicates.

The purpose of which is simply to keep themes consistent just like with leonidas having his spartans and jason with his argonauts. No game play change whatsoever, just purely 'thematic.' Nothing is lost, and if there's anything to gain, again, it's simply 'Thematic consistency.'

Changing the name 'hoplite' to 'myrmidon' doesnt alter anything in terms of production cost, gameplay, etc. it just changes how you imagine them when played on the board.

And again, this is only if we fail to unlock an actual myrmidon unit in the future. this is simply a contingency plan to make things more consistent overall. Having 'achilles and the hoplites' isnt bad, but 'achilles and the myrmidons' sound better. I'm guessing that's not a bad thing, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you rather have 'generic' hoplites rather than 'myrmidons' in the game?

If they simply called the hoplites as 'myrmidons' at the start of this kickstarter i'm faily certain there wouldn't be any problems at all, and people wouldn't know the difference. They'd even go, 'awesome! we have leonidas and the spartans! we also have achilles and the myrmidons!'

And as I have said earlier, this is merely for 'thematic consistency.' Again, which sounds better, 'achilles and the hoplites', or 'achilles and the myrmidons'? So there's nothing to lose, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.