Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Weaponise Demons - For a brighter tomorrow!
badge
The road to Hell is paved - by Argent energy
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few fan made Quests available now, for those who want to squeeze a bit more out of the game.
A lot of these Quests use new standard enemies and provide artwork for a extra cards to represent them.

A lot of time and effort has been put into designing these additional monsters, so I wanted to try them in other quests and even the original official campaign.
To that end, I created elite versions of the cards using my own Card template.
However to get all the cards to match I recreated the standard cards in the template as well.
This eventually lead me to designing my own enemies to help boost the variety a little more.

So I thought I would post a link to the file to get some feedback.

New Enemies.pdf

The project involves a fair bit of work, so it is probable that the final pdf has mistakes or typos and not suitable for printing yet.
Any help in proof-reading would also be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first glance these look great! When I have a bit more time I will give them a keener proof read for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look amazing. Nice job. My only feedback is that the Regenerate keyword is bigger than the box, and the Banshee seems like it's using a different font / red color than the others. But am I complaining? Nope. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Shelby
msg tools
mbmbmb
They look awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parker
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a casual first glance, these look like some interesting monsters with some really good card art.

I noticed you have Tier IV monsters. Are you planning on creating Tier IV quests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Those look amazing. Nice job. My only feedback is that the Regenerate keyword is bigger than the box, and the Banshee seems like it's using a different font / red color than the others. But am I complaining? Nope. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!
I was supposed to go back and check "Regenerate" after a style change.
I will also check the Banshee card font.

dokmatrix wrote:
I noticed you have Tier IV monsters. Are you planning on creating Tier IV quests?

I have some ideas for a series of quests that can be played with upgraded Heroes from previous quests and will use the Tier IV enemies, but the main reason for tier IV was because the Cave Troll from "The Lost Forge" didn't really feel like a Tier III monster.

Hopefully others will also use these for their own Quest designs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the Banshee's font and resized "Regenerate" to fit in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
These all look really good - and your layout is better than the one I cobbled together yesterday. My only little gripe is that you have special rules on the bottom of the cards that don't correspond to activation words. I think this means they could be missed during gameplay. The Gutter Runner is an example - he has rules in the text box which aren't represented by a keyword in his activation row.

How are other people getting around the fact that printed cards won't shuffle in with the box game cards? Are people just sleeving them and ignoring the issue, or are people tying new monsters into quest-based activations only? (i.e. during the peril phase, etc.)

Is there a site with good layouts for Monster cards? The one here on BGG is pretty weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
What you can do is, instead of drawing cards from the top of the deck, you draw them from the bottom.

But me, I don't care, if I see a printed back on the top card of the deck, so be it. It's not like I know everything by heart so I can't use that information so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TurnStyle wrote:

How are other people getting around the fact that printed cards won't shuffle in with the box game cards? Are people just sleeving them and ignoring the issue, or are people tying new monsters into quest-based activations only? (i.e. during the peril phase, etc.)

If your hope is to make or use campaigns or scenarios that will use both the ffg printed cards, and fanmade cards, your best bet would be to print on similar weight stock and sleeve in opaque backed sleeves.

You can take pdf files to a printing service and have them sized and printed on the vinyl stock as well. Bring in one of the actual ffg cards and they will tell you if they can do it or not, you can even ask for a demo before you commit to a whole print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are really well done. They seem to me to perfectly in keeping with the original game's enemies both in powers and capabilities, as well as the look of the cards. Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Updated, page 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurnStyle wrote:
My only little gripe is that you have special rules on the bottom of the cards that don't correspond to activation words. I think this means they could be missed during gameplay. The Gutter Runner is an example - he has rules in the text box which aren't represented by a keyword in his activation row.
I tried to follow the standards set by the official cards released in the game, because I thought it made sense.

A keyword is only used for a rule if it appears in the enemy's effect bar, then the rule is utilized when the enemy is activated.
Rules that apply all the time are not given a keyword and take effect whether the enemy is readied or not.
Over a third of the official enemy cards have rules without corresponding activation words, so I thought it would be fine to do the same.

The Night Runner is a good example, as the rules were directly taken from the Giant Bat enemy from the core game.
And thank you ... when I checked the Night Runner card I found I had used the word instead of the Wound symbol. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Yep, you're right. That was my mistake. I just went and looked through the cards. I guess it just looked like it didn't stand out - but keeping with the cards is completely the right step. Sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurnStyle wrote:
I had this stuff test-printed today (just colour print w/ laminate etc.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20ctkx314shrh4q/TestMonsterCards.p...

Will see about adventures and "Elite" etc. later.
Fantastic work!
There are some great ideas for new actions with well thought out implementations.
However I noticed you didn't include a enemy type on the card (undead, creature, skaven).

It is also my opinion the levels are underrated when compared to the official cards.

The Crokodilisk, Zombie Horde, Tomb Skeleton should be level II.
The Troll, Minotaur and Gwythant are level III and the Cauldron Born and Undead Minotaur should be level IV (or Quest character, seeing level IV is my own creation).
I struggled with the same thing and eventually created a spreadsheet to track it all.

It would definitely increase the difficulty of the quest, if you substituted your cards into a game at their current levels. devil

However, I do like the extra variety available with your additions.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Yeah, I admit I didn't give too much thought to the levels, and they're probably a bit of a bastard to combat in some instances. I'll be re-doing them, adding elites etc. I debated putting on the race/type tag --- does it serve a purpose? Is there equipment etc. which is race/type specific, etc?

I've played the game several times, but almost always with new players so I've only played the first adventures - maybe 3-4 times apiece. I haven't gotten any further in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe some items have bonus effects dependant on race - holy blessing (or something) on undead and I thought there was one for skaven as well.
I could be wrong, as I haven't had one appear in a quest recently. blush

However there are also fan created quests that use race specific enemies which may be fun to swap out with your stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Gotcha, I'll add a small graphic element to disclose the race/type then. Sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
ShaunGamer wrote:
There are a few fan made Quests available now, for those who want to squeeze a bit more out of the game.
A lot of these Quests use new standard enemies and provide artwork for a extra cards to represent them.

A lot of time and effort has been put into designing these additional monsters, so I wanted to try them in other quests and even the original official campaign.
To that end, I created elite versions of the cards using my own Card template.
However to get all the cards to match I recreated the standard cards in the template as well.
This eventually lead me to designing my own enemies to help boost the variety a little more.

So I thought I would post a link to the file to get some feedback.

New Enemies.pdf

The project involves a fair bit of work, so it is probable that the final pdf has mistakes or typos and not suitable for printing yet.
Any help in proof-reading would also be appreciated.

How would I go about turning these into cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
A couple of options were listed up above. You can print them and put them into card sleeves, print them and laminate them (in which case they won't blend properly). You can print and glue them (cutting each card out as one piece and folding in half), etc. Short of going through a quality print studio they won't match perfectly...but you can get around this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
How would I go about turning these into cards?

I print them out on 120gsm paper, fold and glue with a spray adhesive. (You can purchase linen finish paper for a more authentic look).
Cut them out using a rotary cutter or knife and ruler (something that will give you long straight lines).
Use a corner punch to round the corners.
Put each card into a matt card sleeve (the matt surface will hide differences between the official and fan-made card backs more than the glossy sleeves).

You are ready to play.

I had linen finish paper already, and found the surface helped make the card backs match better than just plain paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
My things is I can never print anything and it come out the correct size. I have tried making my own zombicide BP equipment cards by printing them and we'll they never turn out the right size. Any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Tulsatom wrote:
My things is I can never print anything and it come out the correct size. I have tried making my own zombicide BP equipment cards by printing them and we'll they never turn out the right size. Any tips?

I had the same problem, until I opened these images in a photoshop-like software (photofiltre), where it's very simple to print an image to the correct size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Updated, page 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar T
msg tools
Updated, page 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.