6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ranking of Miniature game developers... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'll be honest, I'm a miniatures game addict and all these Kickstarter games who seem to understand the rave don't help!

However seems like many things most miniatures are average at best and even worse, many have questionable quality on their miniatures.

In this post I'm interested in finding out simply how you would rate or rank the multitude of tabletop game publishers/developers purely based on their miniatures (and not the game). Since miniature quality and needs vary from game to game. I think formatting with publisher/game name should distinct the differences.

(PS: I'm only just entering the more hobbyist league of miniatures,looking into tabletop skirmish games, so for my skill for discerning high quality miniatures may not be the most acute)

Here's my list, (only from games I've actually played or owned and worked with the minis)

1) Corvus Belli / Infinity
2) Steamforged Games / Guild Ball
3) Fantasy Flight Games / X-Wing
4) CMON / Zombicide BP, Aracadia Quest
5) Fantasy Flight Games / Star Wars Imperial Assault, Descent
6) Flying Frog Production / Shadows of Brimstone
7) Drawlabs & Artipia Games / Project Elite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't painted minis in a decade, so for me I don't require high detail, it's immersive enough to just have the general shape.

That said, I haven't played enough of the ones on your list, but to me Infinity and X-Wing look the fanciest. I have FF's Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game and those minis are good enough for me. Heck, I've considered using Clue minis as bystanders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not using 'developer' properly. That's the person who refines the final details of rules and balance issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Death: Monster - Kingdom Death?
Blood Rage - CMON
Descent - FF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Games Workshop. Not a fan of their games (outside Space Hulk), but their minis are just about the best you can get in the hobby.

2 - Petersen Games. For Cthulhu Wars and Glorantha alone. The company is the current king of miniature overproduction.

3 - CMON, Arcadia Quest and friends.

4 - Dust models. Dust Tactics, while no longer a good game ever since they made it worse with their "version 2", has some some trully great miniatures that dwarfs most other miniature companies. I've heard rumored (unconfirmed) that FFG produces some of their awesome X-Wing minis through them. Wouldn't surprise me as they look similar in execution.

5 - Privateer press, for Hordes and Warmachine.

6 - Corvus for Infinity... super-expansive, but really good.

7 - Prodoss Games. While the company is hated a lot for kickstarter problems, i think there's a concensus that their minis are awesome. They made the best looking Aliens and Predators miniatures ever made at their scale.

8 - Ares games. They covered by themselves the WW2 and WW1 miniatures market. Minis offered all prepainted with some really good details.

Outside those 8, quality seems to go towards the more "average" end of the spectrum. I could mention FFG for xwing and Armada, but as i mentionned, i don't think they are doing those directly. They are subcontracted (according to rumours).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize paint can make even a mediocre mini look pretty good, but I included some examples...

Tier I

Games Workshop - Many games

Kingdom Death Monster

Tier II

CMON - Multiple games, but I think Blood Rage looks the best

Petersen Games - Cthulhu Wars

Tier III

FFG - Imperial Assault

Monolith - Conan

Riot Games - Mechs vs. Minions

Tier IV

Mantic - Dungeon Saga

Cryptozoic - Ghostbusters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.