Hide
5 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reputation and Regions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
In the rulebook, the example of paying reputation to use the abilities of someone else's region requires a ship to be present at that location -- since the example given is repairing a ship with a Port.

However, is there any general rule that the player paying reputation has to have a ship in the region he's paying to use?

Could I for example pay a reputation to use someone else's Guild Hall while both my ships were out at sea far from the region where the Guild Hall was built? The rules don't say.

As the guy most likely to build structures in our campaign, I am constantly reminding people that they can pay me reputation if they like, but in 15 games no one has yet taken me up on it, so the problem has never come up in practice. However, we are now trying to do something at sea for which a particular structure could be relevant, so....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
In the rulebook, the example of paying reputation to use the abilities of someone else's region requires a ship to be present at that location -- since the example given is repairing a ship with a Port.

However, is there any general rule that the player paying reputation has to have a ship in the region he's paying to use?

Could I for example pay a reputation to use someone else's Guild Hall while both my ships were out at sea far from the region where the Guild Hall was built? The rules don't say.

As the guy most likely to build structures in our campaign, I am constantly reminding people that they can pay me reputation if they like, but in 15 games no one has yet taken me up on it, so the problem has never come up in practice. However, we are now trying to do something at sea for which a particular structure could be relevant, so....

When you pay someone reputation (and they accept; remember that they can refuse), then all of their powers are available to you as if they were yours, for the remainder of the turn. That means that you can use their repair icon at their home port, you can use any of their structure powers, and you can (Box 2 spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
use colony powers or colony structure powers.

In all cases, you have to follow the normal rules as though those structures were your own. If a structure gives a power to a particular space (like a Port or Market), then you'd have to be in or move to that space to take advantage of it. If a power is global (like the Observatory or the Guild Hall), then you don't.

And you don't need presence to offer the rep in the first place, so it would probably be a good idea to make the offer and see if it's accepted before sailing your good-laden ship to sell at their market.

But you're right -- we haven't gotten as far as you, but so far nobody has used this rule, mostly because reputation tends to get spent very, very quickly -- generally before this rule would be useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
When you pay someone reputation (and they accept; remember that they can refuse), then all of their powers are available to you as if they were yours, for the remainder of the turn. That means that you can use their repair icon at their home port, you can use any of their structure powers, and you can (Box 2 spoiler)
use colony powers or colony structure powers.

Slight correction here. You do gain all powers available, however it is limited to one region they control. So it could be the home or
(Box 2 spoiler)
the colony, but not both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"During your turn, you may give a reputation token to another player in order to gain all the benefits and powers present in one region they control until the end of your turn. The receiving player must accept or refuse, and no other tokens, goods, currency, or cards may be exchanged."

The only reason you'd have to have a ship in that region would be to use a power that requires a ship in that region. (It does only apply to powers from one region they control, in case they might gain control of more somehow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcs1213 wrote:
Slight correction here. You do gain all powers available, however it is limited to one region they control. So it could be the home or
(Box 2 spoiler)
the colony, but not both.

You're right; I misread that. One region it is!

Hm. We have yet to make use of that rule, and this makes it marginally less valuable...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.