Hide
8 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Blocks and Map Board and Finishing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soltan Gris
msg tools
I just purchased the game and expansions and was wondering if I should use 'Krylon Clear Matte Finish 1311' on the blocks?

I also thought is uding Krylon Clear Matte Finish 1311 on the Map Board? Any input? Advice?

How did it go and how long have you had the game since you finished them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: Tetrarchia, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is being played a lot, and I have not heard anybody claiming the need to add any finish coat on blocks or board. The board is a high quality mounted one.

And the blocks are not the fog-of-war style of typical block games, they are stickered on both sides, so even if edges of some are marked it doesn't matter. BTW, the dice are indented, so little wear on the faces too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soltan Gris
msg tools
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had any problems with either the blocks or the boards. I sleeve the cards, but don't protect the other components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stickers for the dice have worn out repeatedly on my Ancients and Napoleonics but I've played hundreds of games - I put it down to the tense games making my hands perspire - but GMT have been great about sending me replacement stickers (and that's "over the pond" to UK. I still think they could add some replacement dice stickers when they do expansion sheets. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stosser
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that applying a coat of Future acrylic floor polish with a Q-tip seals and protects the sticker faces of the dice very well. Used that method on the wonderful wooden dice from Valley Dice, too. Sad they're not around anymore. Don't know what those products are called over there, but I think you will find similar in your neighborhood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soltan Gris
msg tools
To All.

I applied 3 light coats of 'Krylon Clear Matte Finish 1311' to the Carthage Blocks and found that 1 sticker peeled 1/4 off at the edge. I am thinking it is due to the Finish drying and shrinking, pulling, the picture side of the sticker...pulling it off. If you do this on plain paper, you will see it curl.

This was one of the things that I thought might happen.
Anyone else?

I also think I should have went Semi-Gloss or Gloss and then Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Protecting the dice stickers is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.