Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Brown
Canada
Sackville
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Hi.
I was looking for a dungeon themed game and came across Lords of Waterdeep thinking immediately I found it. After a bit a research I am re-thinking as quite a few reviews are saying "little theme", and the Intrigue Cards ruin the game.
I prefer games around 3 - 3.5 difficulty (boardgamegeek), FULL of theme, 1 - 2 hours long, and beautiful components.
I am hoping for some recommendations. Thanks in advance for your help

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterdeep does not have a dungeon theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Intrigue cards aren't so bad. I think the Mandatory quests are pretty lame. You can actually remove them from the deck and play the game perfectly fine.

Have you checked out Dungeon Lords or Dungeon Petz?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Second Edition or Cutthroat Caverns perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is not a dungeon themed game, it's a medium weight eurogame set in the dungeons and dragons universe. I like it ok, but I don't think it' she game you are looking for.

If you are looking for a dungeon themed game, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is probably the most obvious choice. If you enjoy the competition of a game master, the experience out of the box should be perfect. The main knock against it is usually the lack of exploration (the map is known at the beginning of the adventure). If you prefer a coop version which features real exploration, there is a free app by The publisher that transforms the game into that (I hear it's good, but I haven't tried it). Nice components and play time is perfect.

If you are more into the dungeon setting, but don't need to be exploring, you should also look into Arcadia Quest. It's a really fun game that features head to head and objective based goals, really nice minis and components. Also a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yedo seems like a much better version of Lords of Waterdeep tbh and am hoping to pick it myself although still not dungeon themed lol!

Dundeon petz/dungeon lords as already suggested

I like theme and nice componenets too, other suggestions based on gamier games that we enjoy for this reason are:

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)
Galaxy Trucker
The Battle at Kemble's Cascade
Room 25 (with expansion) - reminds me of dungeonquest!

There's loads of dungeon crawl games though if that's what you're looking for such as Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest, Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower, - I'm still struggling to find one that works for us mind you lol! So many of them are co-op!

What type of games do you normally prefer and might make it easier for giving suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and possibly Gloomhaven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brown
Canada
Sackville
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply. We love Shadows Over Camelot, Alchemists, Catan and Merchant & Marauders are favorites also. Looking for a great game with a different theme and thought I have always like dungeon games. I don't seem to enjoy the space theme either. Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
BeamMeUp wrote:
Thanks for the reply. We love Shadows Over Camelot, Alchemists, Catan and Merchant & Marauders are favorites also. Looking for a great game with a different theme and thought I have always like dungeon games. I don't seem to enjoy the space theme either. Thanks again

Well that's writes many of them off lol! Well yedo is definately a more thematic version of lords of waterdeep that might work. I agree - lords of waterdeep is boringly unthematic. Dungeonpetz is certainly unique. Room 25 does have a hidden traitor mechanic like shadows over camelot and a bit of a puzzle so might interest you but if you are interested, look at the expansion as think it adds lots to the game :-)

What about cars? I'm just about to buy Kanban although a little harder but theme is spot on

Watching the video run throughs on here always help me decide if I will like a game.

There is a new game that might suit called Tiny Epic Quest - ther are little itemeeples you can actually carry your sword on sheild on lol. The games you mention are all quite different so quite hard lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brown
Canada
Sackville
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Hey Sarah. Thanks for all your suggestions they are much appreciated. The Tiny Epic Quest really seems interesting however all them seem like something I would like.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.